What's new

My Guess... 3017

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
IMG_20230402_223016.jpg

It took a very long time to get a lather and the ring broke up I am calling it quits with this soap and adding the bits to my MWF puck which celebrates its 4th birthday on 19th May and is next in line for the 3017 treatment.

Do you dip the tip of the brush in water then load? Or do you soak the brush and wring it out then load?
Same process for me with all soaps.

1: soak brush
2: ring brush out
3: lather on soap
4: dip tips (or dribble from tap) as needed
4a: continue to load
5: apply to wet face

Works every time. No counting, no water mister, no eye dropper, no spray bottle, no special water. Just load heavy.

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
After finishing my EJ Limes and Pomegranate I have started on my MWF puck which is due for it 4th birthday on 19th May. I added the peanuts of the EJ to the MWF to use them up. The EJ soap is a mild scented soap and is very finicky about water, too much and it doesn't give good protection, too little and it is very dry. There is a narrow band where the lather is just right, bit it can be very difficult to get right.
Tonight's shave was excellent with the MWF and though I have no idea how long it will take I think I will enjoy it more and get better shaves than with the EJ.

Hmm based on that brush picture I wonder if I have been accidentally 3017ing my poor brush while I was working on the never ending brick of Vitos...
View attachment 1629726

It is not nearly as round and fluffy as the similar brush online... I started the brick in February 2019 and have been and have only missed a couple morning shaves due to travel snafu or datelines making my day go poof. This brush has been used for well over 90 percent of the shaves since I don't always take it with me when I travel.

Just thinkin out loud here as I'm no expert on brush care, but I don't think you're suppsoe to clean it with 400 grit sandpaper. :eek2:

Yes, but isn't one of the goals of shaving to make ones face less like sandpaper? :001_rolle
So your face is like 400 grit sandpaper? 😳. Just razzin Ya but I gotta say I’ve never seen a brush that worn. It’s really quite impressive. I think you should run it all the way down to the handle.

The AOS Lemon tallow puck kept drying out overnight and shrinking so that it would spin in the Cade flying saucer when loading. Milled it to solve the problem and also cut the load time in half.
Has the lemon scent held up or is it mostly gone?

My AoS sandalwood is about gone. I’ve had to reform it a few times. Won’t be long now.

Finished off a tube of Proraso blue this morning. It’s a Proraso cream so I’m not sure I have much to add that hasn’t already been said, but it must be noted that it’s easy to use, wasn’t finicky about the brush, shaved fine, and there are a lot of shaves in one of those tubes. Given all that, and given the price, it’s quite a deal. The scent was fine. My wife liked it. The matching balm smells like a 50/50 mix of the blue cream and the green cream. Worked well, I must say. I’m not planning on buying another tube of cream but if I did I’d definitely consider another run.

Up next, after knocking out a Stirling sample, will be the lovely Czech and Speake No 88. Excited to luxuriate in a valobra tallow soap again. Should be a wonderful 3-4 months.

I decided to start the next 3017 straight away this morning with another heavy hitter. One shave in with a refill puck of AoS sandalwood. This is the old Valobra based tallow formula. This should last quite a while. As usual I'll cycle through a number of different brushes. First up is a RR synthetic I picked up some years ago for about $10.

On a side note, the wooden dish looks a bit abused because this will be its third puck of AoS put through it. Between pucks of AoS it sits on the nightstand and holds loose change, etc.

View attachment 1540512

Last shave with AoSt sandalwood this morning. Nothing I can say about this Valobra product that hasn't been repeated 1,000 times. Top notch all the way. I took a 3 week break from 3017ing during the holiday season so I got about 5 months of excellent shaves.

Up next is my last sample of St James cream. This one is lavender and geranium scented which should go great with the season. Its a small sample that should yield 2 or 3 shaves at most. I'll use that time to decide on the next long term victim.

Cheers!

The sample of St James cream is done. Performance and scent were very good.

Up next is the only Haslinger soap that I have not 3017'd yet. According to Google Translate Ohne Duftstoffe means Without Fragrance. Based on the scent when I removed the wrapper I would say thats an accurate description. I'm looking forward to this one.

Sensitiv.jpg

The sample of St James cream is done. Performance and scent were very good.

Up next is the only Haslinger soap that I have not 3017'd yet. According to Google Translate Ohne Duftstoffe means Without Fragrance. Based on the scent when I removed the wrapper I would say thats an accurate description. I'm looking forward to this one.

View attachment 1637168
That was one of the only ones I never gave a try with either. I'm guessing it'll be as good as all the rest.

Is this the vegan formula?

Love the mug!

That was one of the only ones I never gave a try with either. I'm guessing it'll be as good as all the rest.

Is this the vegan formula?

Love the mug!

It is the latest vegan formula. First shave was this morning and Haslinger is one of the very few manufacturers that made the switch from tallow to veggie where I can honestly say the veggie version is just as good, if not better, than the retired tallow formula. For some reason I've never used scent free shaving soaps and I think I will have to travel down this path a bit. More than once a strongly scented soap has ruined the experience for me. After the shave this morning I realized I get to use any old A/S product I want. Their was no lingering soap scent to deal with.

I've been reading good things about Canada Shaving Soap which is a hard puck and scentless. I might just have to give that a try one of these years.

I love the Proraso mug. Anytime I have a soap like Williams, Haslinger, etc that didn't come with a dedicated container they get dropped in the mighty green mug. I'm a bit of a klutz and I've lost more than one soap dish or vintage Old Spice mug to the tiled bathroom floor. I've dropped the Proraso mug a few times with no harm to the mug or me.

My eShave Mandarin came in a shallow metal bowl. After 205 shaves, the donut hole had gotten so big that my Omega 48 boar brush was having trouble contacting enough surface area to build good lather. My solution was to break the ring of soap into about 5 pieces, move them to a steep-sided mug on the smallish side, and switch to my TGN Finest Badger brush. The fragments fill the bottom surface of the mug and the badger brush will not let them escape. Now I am getting plenty of fine lather again. Puck weight is down to about 20g.

Top Bottom