What's new

My Guess... 3017

I have come to realize that I still own partially used soaps purchased back in 2014. That annoys me a bit, honestly. ...

I think you are doing great if those are the oldest soaps in your inventory! I recently finished pucks of Tabac and MWF that I purchased on B/S/T in 2009, and I still have some other soaps acquired in 2011.

My personal record, however, is a puck of Old Spice that I purchased sometime in the early 1970s that I finished off in about 2010.

Im still going on the TFS Linea Instenso Mandarino. Probably around 40 shave in and not much of it left. It is very good but I compare everything to MWF and so far just dont see a close competitor. That said, the TFS has a wonderful orange scent and very good post shave. The post reminds me of A&E Kaizen base, which is around twice the price in the UK.

Would i buy it again? No, but that's because i have 30 odd other soaps to try. If by a miracle I ran out, and went online and the only soap available was this then I could easily live with it forever.

But it aint the fat....

Mike M

...but this one IS cracked.
My oldest soap is a 2018 Arko stick mashed into a dip bowl which I am currently in the process of 3017ing. Once that is gone my much loved MWF (my next oldest soap from May 2019) is going into my 3017 rotation
After that it's all 2020 and above

Starting a "new" soap today. When I learned that Haslinger was eliminating tallow from its soap I bought a number of pucks of the old formula. This Haslinger Coconut was started in 2019 and was last used in March. I grated two pucks and put it in a container. So far, I have gotten 74 shaves from it. I really like this soap as far as performance is concerned. However, the scent is minimal. I will alternate this soap with the GFT Sandalwood Cream for the month of July. I used it today and really enjoyed it.

3017.jpg

I've given up on my Mystic Water lilac. After 3 weeks I never had better than a mediocre shave and I'm just tired of trying to unlock the secrets to this one. From its reputation I really did have high hopes but YMMV holds true.

On to Catie's Bubbles Waterlyptus. I enjoyed it back in the days of rotation and so far (2 shaves in today) it's holding true to my memory of it. A clean fresh minty scent/feel while providing an effortless lather and shave. CB is already miles ahead of MW. There's still some room for improvement so it'd be nice if my shave got better but I'd be satisfied if they were consistant with what I already have.

I've given up on my Mystic Water lilac. After 3 weeks I never had better than a mediocre shave and I'm just tired of trying to unlock the secrets to this one. From its reputation I really did have high hopes but YMMV holds true.

On to Catie's Bubbles Waterlyptus. I enjoyed it back in the days of rotation and so far (2 shaves in today) it's holding true to my memory of it. A clean fresh minty scent/feel while providing an effortless lather and shave. CB is already miles ahead of MW. There's still some room for improvement so it'd be nice if my shave got better but I'd be satisfied if they were consistant with what I already have.
Hard water?

Starting a "new" soap today. When I learned that Haslinger was eliminating tallow from its soap I bought a number of pucks of the old formula. This Haslinger Coconut was started in 2019 and was last used in March. I grated two pucks and put it in a container. So far, I have gotten 74 shaves from it. I really like this soap as far as performance is concerned. However, the scent is minimal. I will alternate this soap with the GFT Sandalwood Cream for the month of July. I used it today and really enjoyed it.

View attachment 1290578

Its been a while since I used Haslinger Coconut. What a great soap! I need to revisit this one.

strop

Now half as wise
Settling in nicely with the QCS. Will be interesting to see how long it lasts. One puck lasted be 77 shaves and the other 44! Must have been loading like I hated it! :lol: :biggrin1:

The tube of T&H yielded its final shave today. Ultimate comfort is an excellent cream and one I will happily revisit some day. Up next is undecided. It’s warm here again and I think I will knock around with Italian Palmolive for a bit and enjoy the menthol before picking the next victim.

It’s time to commit. I’m just going to kill this partial tube of Italian Palmolive. It should see me through the rest of the Summer. Cheers!

Finished Musgo Real Lime Basil today after ~3 months. The scent was OK, but had this weird rubber tire like note that would come and go. Performance was excellent and the lanolin was welcomed with our cold, dry winter. I went back to bowl lathering with a thinner, wetter lather to maximize slickness.

Next up is a puck of SV Stella Alpina which has, to me, an intoxicating scent. It’s about 85%, so I’ll pop up again in ~5 months.View attachment 1229352

Then and now. A bit over four months and the end is nigh. It’s hasn’t been a 100% 3017 as I did a bit of cream testing along the way. Also, killed off a couple of balms.

FFE7F076-FD97-4C2F-8628-386609E01DC3.jpeg

It’s time to commit. I’m just going to kill this partial tube of Italian Palmolive. It should see me through the rest of the Summer. Cheers!

Does Palmolive make a bad soap or cream? Gosh this mentholated version is a great performer. I was on the fence about 3017ing it because I like to have some on hand to use once in a while during hot summer months. The tube is about half gone and I know if I 3017 it I will just replace it....which sort of defeats part of the reason for 3017ing soaps and creams.

On the other hand....next summer is a long way off and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :c9: For the remainder of this Summer I'm going to enjoy this excellent cream.

On a side note. I've been using synthetic brushes for the past year or so and I felt like a chnage was in order. I never got into collecting brushes so I only hvae a handful that have accumulated over the decades. When I opened the small drawer-o-brushes the first one I saw was the electric blue handled Badger and Blade Essential Boar that I picked up maybe 5 years ago (?). I havent used this brush in a loooong minute...or any boar for that matter. I grabbed it for todays shave and it was glorious. I'm so happy with this brush its going to get exclusive use likely for the remainder of the summer. Its well broken in with very soft tips and after months of sythetics I forgot how good a good boar can be. As I recall this particular knot didnt need much break in. I believe it was a joint collaberation with Omega. Anywho...its an excellent little brush that deserves a turn in the spotlight.

Does Palmolive make a bad soap or cream? Gosh this mentholated version is a great performer. I was on the fence about 3017ing it because I like to have some on hand to use once in a while during hot summer months. The tube is about half gone and I know if I 3017 it I will just replace it....which sort of defeats part of the reason for 3017ing soaps and creams.

On the other hand....next summer is a long way off and I'll cross that bridge when I come to it. :c9: For the remainder of this Summer I'm going to enjoy this excellent cream.

On a side note. I've been using synthetic brushes for the past year or so and I felt like a chnage was in order. I never got into collecting brushes so I only hvae a handful that have accumulated over the decades. When I opened the small drawer-o-brushes the first one I saw was the electric blue handled Badger and Blade Essential Boar that I picked up maybe 5 years ago (?). I havent used this brush in a loooong minute...or any boar for that matter. I grabbed it for todays shave and it was glorious. I'm so happy with this brush its going to get exclusive use likely for the remainder of the summer. Its well broken in with very soft tips and after months of sythetics I forgot how good a good boar can be. As I recall this particular knot didnt need much break in. I believe it was a joint collaberation with Omega. Anywho...its an excellent little brush that deserves a turn in the spotlight.
@snowman The B&B Essential boar is a favorite of mine as well. I am currently using the Sue edition this month. :001_wub:

I’ve been using my original (blue) for the last couple of months with the Trumper soap and it has been outstanding.

Top Bottom