What's new

My Guess... 3017

It has been about ten months since I posted in this thread:

Well, gentlemen here is the follow up. It took me more than 6 and less than 7 months. With breaks here and there it came to ten+.

View attachment 1122114

I was half expecting a Tasmanian Devil to leap out from the bottom @snowman
I declare Nuavia one of the best soaps out there.
The dish will be housing Boellis Panama.

Curses! Now you have me thinking about Boellis Panama. Somehow I’ve managed to miss out on that one. An error I planned on correcting some day. It would look good in my Nuavia Blu crock. Maybe when iColoniali is done.

Reactions: RTM
Having recently acquired a Rooney Heritage 3 Band, I thought a cream to bowl lather in a scuttle was in order. I went with Truefitt & Hill 1805. I've used the tub once or twice before. It has a nice aquatic scent with very good performance.

Derby stick was sufficient.

Revisited LaToja soap. It’s been years! I’ve used it for 4-5 shaves. It really is excellent soap. Super slick and protective. Smells good. Post shave feel is nice. But, it’s been really warm out, and I’ve been cold water shaving. I feel like some menthol action. I’m going to polish off a tube of LEA menthol next, then go back to that lovely LaToja stick.

I was surprised at 136 shaves, then saw someone did it in 90.

I've been expecting to get 200-250 shaves from a 150g puck of Pre de Provence. Am I totally overestimating that?

If you're very conservative in loading you might be able to get 250 shaves out of it. I usually load on the heavier side as I'd rather use a bit more soap than have a lousy shave.

Having recently acquired a Rooney Heritage 3 Band, I thought a cream to bowl lather in a scuttle was in order. I went with Truefitt & Hill 1805. I've used the tub once or twice before. It has a nice aquatic scent with very good performance.
One of the best scents in shaving! I got my tub on sale, but worth full price! And, of course, performance is very good. 2 1/2 months for me.

Found the bottom of my Tabac a few shaves ago. The hole is dime sized and growing quick. The shaves have been great throughout.

For no other reason than curiosity I did a four pass shave today. I had no weepers, no irritation and a BBS shave. For someone that usually has issues with irritation and sensitive skin that was a rarity. I'm not sure if Tabac is just that good or if I finally got this wet shaving thing figured out. Either way it felt pretty great.

1 week and 7 shaves in on the Proraso green cream, getting good shaves.

Still catching up reading this thread, now exactly 4 years behind. (July 8, 2016. Page 840, 16800 posts).

Proraso Blue is finished.

Tube had several shaves on it to start with and total weight was 122g with cap. Final weight after squeezing and rolling was 24g with cap. Shaved daily from 6/11 to 7/9 with one missed shave. So usage was 98g over 28 shaves = 3.5g per shave.

Now you're probably looking at the usage thinking "that's a lot of shaving cream", but I found you had to use a lot of this stuff for 2-3 passes. I tried less and the lather was not as good. I also tried a bit of Speick cream I have for travel and I was able to whip up a much thicker, creamier lather with less product. So there must be a lot of water in this mix.

Proraso Green 8 shaves in, average usage: 1.8g 3 pass shave.
YMMV indeed..:)

Been plugging along with the Cremo Coconut Mango for a couple of weeks, and haven't been able to dial it in yet. Face lathering wasn't working very well so I moved to a bowl which is something I haven't done in years. I'm getting fairly serviceable shaves from the lather, but it's definitely weak. I typically use a lot of product, especially when killing creams, and have been averaging near 5g per shave so far. Maybe Cremo lather is one that needs less product? Going to try to dial it back and see if that helps. If not, might be time to move it to the PIF pile.

strop

Now half as wise
It’s been a while since I used Cremo, but IIRC it is a non-lathering cream. I ended up using it by adding a small amount to some sub-par soap to increase the slickness.

Cremo is definitely a less is more product. You can use a brush but I found it easier to figure out without a brush. Apply as thin a layer as possible and keep your face and the applied Cremo wet throughout the shave. It is a non lathering product (if you force the issue you can get a thin, sort of lather, but...) and I got great results from it. But if you’re expecting great lather or lots of cushion (whatever that is wrt shaving), look elsewhere.

I used an entire tube in 3017 fashion and once I applied it thin enough, got great shaves. There is no aesthetic experience or romance using Cremo. Just spread it on (thinly), scrape it off, and Bob’s your uncle.

One annoying issue. Water from the just rinsed razor mixes with the Cremo on my face and runs down the razor and makes my hand slippery. There’s no fix for this other than frequently rinsing hand as a Cremo shave is a slick and wet process.

Bottom line: Less is more!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is definitely intended to be brushless, I've just been trying to force it to lather (naturally!)

Sounds like less is more across the board, so I'll have to give that a try

I chased the last sliver of CRSW Savon #1 around the tin this morning until it finally gave in to providing the last lather the puck was going to give. Very good example of what I’ve come to expect from top tier artisans - yogurt like lather that is creamy, but not all that heavy. The lather itself is slick but there’s little residual slickness. Post shave is good. I got 2 and a half months of daily shaves from the 4oz. puck.

Up next is a brand new tub of Castle Forbes lime. At 200ml/almost 7 oz. this could be a long haul.

MWF started March 10 is done. Aside from the monotony of one scent every day for 4 months it never failed to deliver.

473A5379-BB1F-498C-8B67-28E784796EC9.jpeg

Top Bottom