What's new

My Guess... 3017

Finished tallow AOS Sandalwood today. Got 3 months and a week out of it. Great soap. Looking forward to 3017ing the rest of the Valobra back stock in the coming years.

On deck for tomorrow is a newly NOS puck of L'Occitane Cade that has been installed upside down in a Strop Shoppe tub.

View attachment 1118886View attachment 1118890View attachment 1118891

Good hunting, Jeff. I have one of those in the stash still.

It pains me when I read stuff like this. The classics are supposed to be steady reliable soaps that we can depend on. If you want to change to a veggie formulas fine but refine it before release.

How many of the classic soaps are left worth using at this point? Especially without worrying if you're getting old stock version 2.3 with such & such as number x ingredient.

Leave the formula changes to the artisans. They seem better at it anyway.

I got started late and missed out on all the good stuff I guess. Well, as far as all the good classic hard soaps go anyway. [emoji2371]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Speaking of missing on the good stuff.....

iColoniali soap is ticking all of the boxes for me. I could not understand why this soap wasn't wildly popular so I dug back though many reviews going back several years. It sounds like some folks had trouble getting good lathers in part due to hard water. I have a whole house water softener and after getting the first two or three shaves out of the way the lathers have been fantastic and effortless. If this soap was still being produced it would absolutely be on my 'buy-it-again' list. Slick protective lather with a hint of menthol and a mild but distinctive scent that I find intoxicating and SWMBO loves. That my friends is a win-win in my book. If only it were still produced. Curse the gods of shaving soap for taking this one too soon.

For those who have finished MWF before, how many shaves do I still have on my puck? I guessed around 10, but that was 10 shaves ago
image.jpg

DR Harris, Tabac, Provence Sante, Pre de Provence, Institut Karite, Haslinger, Lea, La Toja, Cella, Vitos, Martin de Candre, Boellis Panama 1924, Mitchell’s Wool Fat and Arko come to mind.

Of course you're right. Sometimes it's easy to dwell on a negative but there are still many great classic soaps to be had and many other great artisans making soaps. We should be happy that we live in a time that wet shaving is a hobby and not just a bland way to take the stubble away.

Not sure about that Arko though. :a30:

Of course you're right. Sometimes it's easy to dwell on a negative but there are still many great classic soaps to be had and many other great artisans making soaps. We should be happy that we live in a time that wet shaving is a hobby and not just a bland way to take the stubble away.

Not sure about that Arko though. :a30:

:biggrin:

Finished the Stirling sample today, 6 shaves (3 face and 3 head).
I really liked this one, very slick.
Will problably replace with a full size tub for next summer, either MITA or one of their other mentholated soaps.

My 3017 so far...

2020-04-23 – 2020-04-27 Truefitt & Hill samles (Almond, Rose and Trafalgar)
2020-05-01 – 2020-05-14 Stirling Mountain Man sample
2020-05-20 – 2020-06-26 Taylor of Old Bond Street, Jermyn Street Collection cream (68g)
2020-06-26 – 2020-06-30 Stirling Margaritas in the arctic sample (11g)
2020-07-01-- 2020-xx-xx Proraso Green cream (112g inkl tube and cap)

I finished of the EJ Aloe Vera, which i pressed into the MWF container 76 shaves ago. Quite the number for the little bugger. Still, can't particularly recommend this one, as it's simply not an outstanding shaving soap.
For me it's "Out of the stash, Out of the mind".

20200630_121718.jpg

Next up? Nothing.
I'll be taking a few days of shaving during my summer vacation.

It's a very good soap. I usually prefer tallow soaps, but the veggie formula impressed me. Great performance with very nice post shave feel. Post shave was not as good as MWF and Mystic Water, but few soaps are. This one was not far behind in that category.
Wickham and SV are probably my favorite brands of veggie soap. The veggie base of Grooming Department is also excellent.

As I’ve been finishing PdP, one (large) fragment came out of the tin. I pressed it and the other big chunk into the bottom of the tin, and have a small amount left. I’ve broken through the bottom again, so it’s only a matter of time.

Since I started using more water in the lathering back in May, lathers have been outstanding day after day. I was getting above average shaves for the first four months of use and was content. I am thinking about how much better the shaves have been since then, and wonder if I would put this soap in my top tier category if my overall experience with it were different. If anything, it tells me to really push the water envelope at the beginning to find the best version of itself early on and then ride the wave with lathers I know to be the best I can make with a particular soap.

The ring of CRSW Savon #1 busted apart this morning so I scraped it all out and mounded it back in the middle of the tin. More hiding in those edges than I expected, but the end is nigh.

As I’ve been finishing PdP, one (large) fragment came out of the tin. I pressed it and the other big chunk into the bottom of the tin, and have a small amount left. I’ve broken through the bottom again, so it’s only a matter of time.

Since I started using more water in the lathering back in May, lathers have been outstanding day after day. I was getting above average shaves for the first four months of use and was content. I am thinking about how much better the shaves have been since then, and wonder if I would put this soap in my top tier category if my overall experience with it were different. If anything, it tells me to really push the water envelope at the beginning to find the best version of itself early on and then ride the wave with lathers I know to be the best I can make with a particular soap.

Good wisdom, Bob. Great to see you closing in on the finish and going out on top!

It has been about ten months since I posted in this thread:
I'm following this thread closely, and I'm pretty confident (please correct me if I'm wrong) there hasn't been a picture of an empty container of Nuávia. This should be rectified. Couple of weeks ago I embarked on a journey with Nuávia Rosso. It has been interrupted by a week long business trip during which I've learnt that Klar is not my cup of tea. It makes good shower soap though.
Still, I intend to find out whether there are interesting things buried deep down inside this fancy bowl of Nuávia. It should take a year of daily use, or thereabouts. When traveling I will finish off the jar of AdP (maybe two weeks, or less left), and other bits and pieces.
Well, gentlemen here is the follow up. It took me more than 6 and less than 7 months. With breaks here and there it came to ten+.

IMG_0750.jpg

I was half expecting a Tasmanian Devil to leap out from the bottom @snowman
I declare Nuavia one of the best soaps out there.
The dish will be housing Boellis Panama.

Top Bottom