What's new

My first two dances with the Fatboy

I'm on day 2 of my newly found wetshaving lifestyle. The results have been...well, OKAY but not sure I can say that it has been better than my Mach 3 days.

Granted, I have some though not all of what might be considered "adequate gear". I purchased a beautiful Fatboy in an antique shop for $8 that cleaned up very well. I acquired a shaving mug and boar brush from my father-in-law and have been using Nivea Shaving Gel and applying it with the brush. I know it's not ideal, but I was eager to get started and it's what I had.

I also picked up some pre-have oil and aftershave lotion from Rooster's Men's Grooming Center (a cool place, btw. I'd encourage all of you to locate one as I believe they cut/groom in the gentleman's spirit). I haven't butchered my face and the experience itself has actually been pretty good: I've enjoyed slowing down, participating in a ritual with rich history with cool guy gadgets. And for a long time I've been enjoying the whole classy grooming concept. It's just that I found that shaving "with the grain" wasn't getting close enough. I'm one of these guys with plenty of stubble in the moustache and goatee area but little patches here and there on the rest of the face (if any of you ever saw the Cheers episode when the guys decided to have a beard growing contest and Cliff Claven walks in with these long scraggly random patches all over his face. That would be me :001_tongu ). I'm also kind of a skinny guy, not a lot of meat on my face so keeping the razor in smooth contact with my face can be a little challenging.

Anyways, I went with the direction of the beard, relathered and went against it. Closer, but not close enough (maybe my expectations are too high but I am thinking that I shouldn't feel any rough areas on my face?). A little irritation and burn but not much. Knowing that it takes time and practice, I'm wondering if anyone can give some helpful advice. I'm IN for sure, guys. I'm just looking to grow in my skill through the wise counsel of some of you Wet Shaving Jedis :001_smile

Welcome, Jumboman, and uhh yeah, keep dancing with the fat boy.

I moved to DE from a M3 too. I'm not an expert, but I look at it like this: The M3 has 3 blades, per pass. It does not operate one blade at a time, therefore if you get the same shave as you do with a 3 blade razor with a 2-pass and a DE/Injector, then you're still getting better performance per blade stroke.

I think it's generally recommended to go for WTG, XTG, then ATG. Some will do WTG, XTG, revXTG, and then ATG, or different variations. I do the former, the classic three-pass shave, which gives me DFS every time, and BBS with a little more care and attention. Because you are going at each hair at these different angles you should get less irritation as with the M3.

I could never go ATG with my M3 without major tugging, pulling, and irritation, and now I can, and that makes a world of difference for me.

Thanks, Tedzy
So it IS okay to go against the grain? It was my understanding that one shouldn't have to do that if shaving properly.

I'm trying to do a little code decyphering and I think I have most of it, EXCEPT:
revXTG, DFS, BBS.

Can you educate me on the B&B lingo? :D

XTG--across the grain
DFS--Damn Fine Shave
BBS--Baby Butt Smooth

Welcome to the site, and take the time to check out the tutorials, they were very helpful to me. Mantic59 has several YouTube vids that are great ;) Good luck!

jumboman,

Welcome to B&B! I too have just recently moved away from my M3 as well. I am now about 2 weeks in since I received my 69 Gillette Super Speed. As for the Fat Boy which I will be purchasing soon you may want to check out http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33163. Also I have read that the best way to start out is at 3 and work your way from there.

The other thing that is super key is blades. Make sure to get yourself a good sample pack of blades. I picked up a 10 combo set of blades from West Coast Shaving for about $30.00 bucks with shipping (70 blades in total, try to spend 30 bucks on M3 blades and let me know where you are at :scared:). I always heard each blade was different, and man they sure are!!! Here is a list of blades I purchased based on comments from B&B and also West Coast Shaving.

Nacet Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
Wilkinson Sword Double Edge Razor Blades
Shark Super Chrome Double Edge Razor Blades
Red Personna Israeli Double Edge Razor Blades
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Double Edge Blades
Feather Double Edge Razor Blades
DORCO ST-301 Double Edge Razor Blades
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
Crystal Double Edge Razor Blades
Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, thats the beauty of B&B everyone is here to help!

Good Luck!

Another note on the shaving technique is to not use any pressure on your face like you are used to with the M3. Just let the weight of the razor do the work, you will need to take multiple passes as you are not wanting to cut all the hair on the first pass. Hence the whole wtg, xtg, atg. Check out Mantic59 videos on YouTube they helped me out a bunch when I first started shaving.

Welcome to B&B! Lots of good advice here. I'll just add, my whiskers grow in all directions, so if I want BBS, I have to do 4 passes, and while I'm at I even go a bit at angles, too, not just straight sideways and straight up and down.

XTG--across the grain
DFS--Damn Fine Shave
BBS--Baby Butt Smooth

Welcome to the site, and take the time to check out the tutorials, they were very helpful to me. Mantic59 has several YouTube vids that are great ;) Good luck!

Awesome! Man, I love this group! :thumbup:

jumboman,

Welcome to B&B! I too have just recently moved away from my M3 as well. I am now about 2 weeks in since I received my 69 Gillette Super Speed. As for the Fat Boy which I will be purchasing soon you may want to check out http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=33163. Also I have read that the best way to start out is at 3 and work your way from there.

The other thing that is super key is blades. Make sure to get yourself a good sample pack of blades. I picked up a 10 combo set of blades from West Coast Shaving for about $30.00 bucks with shipping (70 blades in total, try to spend 30 bucks on M3 blades and let me know where you are at :scared:). I always heard each blade was different, and man they sure are!!! Here is a list of blades I purchased based on comments from B&B and also West Coast Shaving.

Nacet Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades
Wilkinson Sword Double Edge Razor Blades
Shark Super Chrome Double Edge Razor Blades
Red Personna Israeli Double Edge Razor Blades
Gillette 7 O'Clock Super Platinum Double Edge Blades
Feather Double Edge Razor Blades
DORCO ST-301 Double Edge Razor Blades
Derby Extra Double Edge Razor Blades
Crystal Double Edge Razor Blades
Astra Superior Platinum Double Edge Razor Blades

If you have any questions don't hesitate to ask, thats the beauty of B&B everyone is here to help!

Good Luck!

Okay, I admit it. I was eager to get started so the only place I knew had DE blades was, umm, Walgreens. Probably not good??

Okay, I admit it. I was eager to get started so the only place I knew had DE blades was, umm, Walgreens. Probably not good??

Walgreen's is OK if thats all you got. I have a friend who has been shaving for many many moons using the Walgreen's brand blade $6.73 for 10 blades ouch! He is currently 73, I found out he wet shaved and gave him some of my sample blades and he couldn't be happier with the closers shaves. Finding the right blade is key as each face, hair growth, and thickness are different. Some people swear by Persona Red's some by Feathers, some by Derby. Until you actually shave with them you will never know what works with your face. Keep enjoying those shaves :thumbup1:

Walgreens = 75cents to $1 per blade for a mid-level "ok" blade.
Buying online at any of our vendors = 15-25 cents per blade (shipping included) for your choice of pretty much any blade in the world.

The Count of Merkur Cristo

B&B's Emperor of Emojis
jumbo:
Welcome to the B & B and it sounds like you're off to a great start, (oh by the way..I love my Merkurs 23C [a mild razor] & 38C [a real heavyweight]). :shaving:
Also, good deal in dropping the carts and it is very wise to get a DE Razor Blade Sampler to see what blade is a good fit (sharp, dull, ect...), for your face and Razor and 'pull the trigger' on a good brush and/or bowl / scuttle and practice...practice...practice...it will get better with time, believe me :thumbup1:

And yes...this Forum has the knowledge, ideas, and alround 'know-how' (see link below), to assist in your Wet-Shaving experience. In a nut-shell...your 'gonna' love it here :w00t:

http://badgerandblade.com/vb/showthread.php?t=71700

Also, once you get time....please tell all of us a little about yourself in the Hall of Fame sub-forum :biggrin1:

Christopher :badger:

Last edited:
Top Bottom