What's new

My first custom " inkwell " razor stand !

Used a piece of 304 stainless steel rod ,to make a custom ( DIY ) inkwell razor stand.
Machined at a mini-lathe and lightly polished with a felt wheel.

That was my first trial ever.
The finishing job was not the best ,I should say.
There are some cutting tool marks ,but 304 steel is quite a PITA ,
when it comes to machining at a mini-lathe and
frankly I've made a rather sloppy job ,because at first it was just an experiment.
Afterwards I decided that this is a keeper !
Anyway ,not the best job done ,but I like it .
It's quite heavy ( well above 100 grams ) and has also a drain hole.

proxy.php

proxy.php

proxy.php

I made this inkwell stand to match with an 316L stainless steel handle ( an aesthetically modified Ikon OSS ).
The head of the razor is a wonderful brass piece , made from Karve Shaving Co. ( D plate ) .
This mixed -metal razor is my favorite daily driver.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Last edited:
R

romsitsa

Pretty nice, thanks for sharing. Judging from the pictures the height of the stand is much bigger than the depth of the hole for the razor. Is this simply a design feature, or is the weight of the bottom needed to prevent tipping over or something?

Adam

Thank you all !

Judging from the pictures the height of the stand is much bigger than the depth of the hole for the razor. Is this simply a design feature, or is the weight of the bottom needed to prevent tipping over or something?
Adam

Not much difference actually.About 1 cm .
But yeah,did it that way for added weight at the bottom.

R

romsitsa

Then the photos tricked me, I thought around 1 cm of the handle is in the holder.

Adam

That is quite lovely! I think you did an excellent job. It has a great Art Deco sensibility that really compliments classic razor design.You should definitely keep at it. I bet you could come up with a lot of interesting pieces, given time.

Have you considered working in brass? The metallurgy post that the gentleman (forgot his profile name) shared the other day made it sound as though brass is a lot easier on your tools.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Then the photos tricked me, I thought around 1 cm of the handle is in the holder.

Adam

You are close !
15 mm of the handle is inside the holder .

Have you considered working in brass? The metallurgy post that the gentleman (forgot his profile name) shared the other day made it sound as though brass is a lot easier on your tools.

Looking forward to seeing more!

Yes,I 've thought working - along with stainless steel -also with brass ,bronze,copper and titanium,for making both holders and handles.

Titanium is giving me a hard time to tap,though ...
That was my first trial on Titanium ,for a handle ,

but it has a broken tap inside it's half-finished threads. :cursing:

Maybe even one day I will get a mill and make my first De razor head ,the way I want a DE razor head to be .

:001_cool:

BTW,is this metallurgy post you are referring to?
:302:

Last edited:
Actually that slim titanium handle was made to be paired with the Karve brass head.
But the tap breaking inside the threads ,changed my plans unfortunately.

I'had it anodized 5 minutes ago ,just to take an idea how it would have been
as a razor ,with the Karve head.

Last edited:
That's very nice work. Stainless is a PITA to machine. Very sharp tools and coolant makes things better.

I use very sharp tools ( PVD coated Tungsten-Cobalt carbide inserts ) ,as I mainly work with Titanium on my lathe ,
but I lack a cutting fluid (coolant ) system .Thus ,I've to " go slow " when working both with Titanium and stainless steel .
Lower RPM and feeding rates with shorter cutting times .

even the toothbrush has a cool metal stand, ...that last pic with the car is awesome, all your stuff looks so great together!!!

really nice work, the indented drain hole is very clever :thumbsup:

Top Bottom