What's new

My first attempt at smoking a Pork Butt

Ten hours later, the butt and the fatty are done. The fatty only took 2.5 hours.
$2014-6-29-06-ButtAndFattyDone.JPG
That bark looks black, but it tastes so good. I used apple wood for the smoke.

The finished product. Tried with with a Carolina mustard BBQ sauce. Outstanding.
$2014-6-29-07-PulledPorkFinal.JPG
The fatty after a KC Masterpiece glaze.
$2014-6-29-08-FattyAfterBBQSauce.JPG
And sliced, after the hoards hit it.
$2014-6-29-09-FattySliced.JPG

A very good day at the BBQ.

Awesome smokes and pics. Both of those look fantastic and I bet tasted amazing.

I had the same experience with the flaps on my pork and pulled those off a bit early to give the old folks a head start on eating.

So, are you hooked on Fatty's now too? Super easy to make, quick to smoke, fully customizable and tasty.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Awesome smokes and pics. Both of those look fantastic and I bet tasted amazing.

I had the same experience with the flaps on my pork and pulled those off a bit early to give the old folks a head start on eating.

So, are you looked on Fatty's now too? Super easy to make, quick to smoke, fully customizable and tasty.
this post is full of win. I am very hungry now.

Yes. I will probably make them without cheese in the future as most of it wound up in the drip pan. But, wow, that was good.
I wonder if it was because you left it in slices? Mine was thinly shredded and spread out a bit more.

I did loose a bit and when I tool it off some oil/grease oozed out, but most of the cheese remained inside.

Man...after seing yours, I want to make another one already. But if I keep making these, I'm going to turn into a Fatty.

Suggestion. Stop basting it. You're only extending your cook time with each cracking of the dome. Next time inject it beforehand. Shoulders are so fatty they really don't need marinade or basting.

Still reading the thread, but +1 on this.

I usually get the temp settled, and the pork butt on and then I don't even open the smoker for about six hours or so. That's when I start basting.

Still reading the thread, but +1 on this.

I usually get the temp settled, and the pork butt on and then I don't even open the smoker for about six hours or so. That's when I start basting.
That's the plan for the next one....and yes, there will be another one before end of summer.

Nicely done Bruce!

I'm an overnight smoker ... but that's generally because I'm cooking for a small army (we've got five kids between us) or a large army (party with friends/family). Depending on the size I'll start it around midnight ... that gives me plenty of wiggle room in order to have pulled pork for dinner the following day.

I've injected one, and it was fine, but I've had greater success without injecting it. There was nothing wrong with it, I just liked un-injected better.

Re: basting ... the easiest thing I've found is to get a spray bottle, and I use a mix of apple juice and apple cider vinegar and a little veggie oil. Makes it real easy to open the dome and squirt, squirt, squirt and close it up right away, losing as little heat as possible.

For your next one, you might want to consider a full hour, to even two hour, rest period. It lets the meat rest and lets all the juices redistribute. Once I hit 190 or even 195 degrees I wrap it in foil, spritz a little more juice/vinegar on it, then place it in a heavily insulated cooler, wrapped in towels and blankets. This has really added another dimension to it. It's also nice because if you get through the stall quicker than you expect, you can place it in the cooler and let it sit and you'll be amazed at just how well the heat is retained. You don't even have to warm it up.

And +1 on the slaw! it really rounds out the sammich nicely.

Again ... nicely done on your first attempt! dangit ... now I'm thinking about making some soon. And the GF just asked me yesterday about doing one and I dismissed it because I didn't want to do an overnight cook. LOL

:thumbup1: Yeah...It's hard to not run out and buy another to smoke again.

Wait until you see what we do with the leftover pork :drool:.

It's something I haven't seen posted on here and never thought of until I saw it on one of those "Greasy Spoon" shows on The Food Network.

Pics after supper.

Wait until you see what we do with the leftover pork :drool:.

It's something I haven't seen posted on here and never thought of until I saw it on one of those "Greasy Spoon" shows on The Food Network.

Pics after supper.

:w00t: can't wait!

It's rare we have leftovers, but when we do, we've done pork tacos, smoked pork fried rice, pulled pork nachos and, in a fit of brilliance, I once had leftover pulled pork and leftover brisket ... and I used both in a batch of chili. OMG that was amazing.

I wonder if it was because you left it in slices? Mine was thinly shredded and spread out a bit more.

I did loose a bit and when I tool it off some oil/grease oozed out, but most of the cheese remained inside.

Man...after seing yours, I want to make another one already. But if I keep making these, I'm going to turn into a Fatty.

Actually, I meant most of the cheese wound up in the drip pan in the Weber Kettle. I crimped all the edges and made a good seal but the cheese just found a way out while cooking. Jack cheese gets real runny when melted so another cheese might have worked better.

I know what you mean about eating too many of them! Moderation, right?

The next one I make will be ground lamb with some lemon zest and garlic. I'm thinking kind of a bacon-wrapped gyro kind of thing. I'll post a thread when I do it.

OK...so here is what we did with the leftover pulled pork.

Brought to room temp, heated in cast iron with some water and put a lid on it to keep moist, wife made some homemade waffles and then we fried up some eggs.

So it is a Pulled Pork Waffle Sandwich topped with a runny egg and homemade BBQ sauce with a fruit skewer on the side.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404171849645.jpg

Last edited:
Pork butt is the most versatile bit of the pig. The section the Italians call the coppa is almost exactly 70/30 lean to fat, perfect for curing or sausage making. You can also slice coppa and grill it for something that texturally resembles a ribeye with less chew. Boned out, brined, tied, and smoked it makes a nice city ham.
Also, I know the temptation for Costco meat is great, but do yourself, your family, the pigs, and the small meat producers of these United States a favor and buy some sexier pork. It'll cost a little more, but your pork will taste better.
Now I need an excuse to BBq

I have just one suggestion, don't ask my how I know, but unless your smoker is super reliable, try not to do the oft mentioned overnight smoke. Or stay up & watch the temps.

Some butt thots here .. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Yep. Good advice....

Unless.......

You have a Weber Smoky Mountain smoker (WSM).

Get the coals lit and the temp where you want it, and then forget it for about twelve hours totally ignored of temp checks.

Really.

A big pork butt after hours and hours of steady heat with some early wood smoke until it hits about 140-deg internal is a smoke ring triumph!!!

Also, I know the temptation for Costco meat is great, but do yourself, your family, the pigs, and the small meat producers of these United States a favor and buy some sexier pork. It'll cost a little more, but your pork will taste better.
I'm not following?

a) I'm in Canada and we buy Canadian Pork
b) We buy our meat from a local meat market and support them when possible.

$211107-canadian-pork-story.jpg

Top Bottom