What's new

My first attempt at smoking a Pork Butt

Here's and updated pic after about 3hrs.

It's sitting at 126* right now and looking good. I have been basting with a mix of 3/4 apple juice and 1/4 oil every hour or so.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404061738977.jpg

5hrs...153*, just basted and finished making a couple sauces.

One BBQ based and one vinegar based. Both are quite strong on the Apple Cider Vinegar but I guess that is what they are supposed to be.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404069215111.jpg

Suggestion. Stop basting it. You're only extending your cook time with each cracking of the dome. Next time inject it beforehand. Shoulders are so fatty they really don't need marinade or basting.

Suggestion. Stop basting it. You're only extending your cook time with each cracking of the dome. Next time inject it beforehand. Shoulders are so fatty they really don't need marinade or basting.

Got it, thanks for the suggestion.

I really didn't know too much about the basting or how many times but will let it runs its course until done. It is hard not to peak at it bit will resist.

The smoker is holding great temps and it looks like its cooking evenly and not charring up in place more then another.

Hopefully it will continue to rise and the plan is to pull it off at just over 200* before 11pm.

It looks like you're using a temp control system. If that's the case, once you've got a couple of these bad boys under your belt and know what to expect, go for the overnight cook. Don't fear the reaper. Embrace the darkness and have a nice lunch.

We'll see how long the final cook time is on this one, but an overnight cook may be in order and then serve it for lunch or keep it warm until supper. The dome seems to be holding steady temps with zero to little adjustments or charcoal needed to be added. I guess if I started it before bed and I slept through the smoke, it would prevent me and the kids from being tempted to sneak a peak at it every hour.

Last edited:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!

I would argue they don't need injecting, either. But I agree that the basting is just extending the cook time. Looking good though, Bruce.

rockviper

I got moves like Jagger
I like pork butt and I cannot lie
You other brothers can't deny
That when its cooked by Bruce and it's oozing juice
And a round thing on your plate
You get fed

OK....so I know I shouldn't jack up the heat, but family is here and we are looking to get my parents fed before they pass out so I jacked it up a bit.

Before I did it was at 180* and I tested a couple of the flaps that were dangling and they were between 190-200* so I yanked them off and pulled them. The heat was only jacked up a bit and lesson learned.....start very early or the night before.

It tastes amazing and I can't stopping eating it. The pieces I pulled are tender, juicy, smokey and tasty.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404083195347.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks guys. Its done and was a success.

My wife claims it was the best pulled pork ever. Dad had two huge buns. Our little guy had a huge bun and 1/2 a pulled pork taco. Even the dog got some as she was smelling it all day.

We will definetly do another but will plan on a couple more hours. The BBQ sauce I made was also a hit and was a perfect match for the pork.

Thanks again to everyone for their tips, support and encouragement. It was a blast to do and made up for a non-csmling weekend.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404087221282.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1404087242947.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1404087251987.jpg

$uploadfromtaptalk1404087258668.jpg

Looks tasty, well done. When pressed for time you can always use the "Texas crutch" by wrapping in foil with a little apple cider. It helps push it through the stall faster, the downside is it softens the bark. Small price to pay though if it means feeding your guests at a reasonable time, still turns out tasty.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
That cole slaw on the sammy looks like some BBQ sammys that I have had when I was living in Savannah for a bit.

Good Ole' Southern stuff.

The BBQ sauce I made was also a hit and was a perfect match for the pork.

That BBQ sauce looks good...what did you say was in it again? :biggrin1:

And be careful about putting the meat in the doggie bowl.....she may learn how to open the smoker.

Last edited:
That BBQ sauce looks good...what did you say was in it again? :biggrin1:

I pulled off a smoker or BBQ site when I was Googling what to make. It was highly recommended and made with simple ingedients we has on hand.

After I was done my pork on the bun, I found the plate of pulled pork beside me slowly disappearing. We were sitting around chatting and I squirted some on my plate and was picking at the meat and eating it.

Not much to the directions and I don't even think it said to heat it up and simmer it, but I did for a while as I whisked it. Then I let it cool, put in a squirt bottle and refrigerated until supper.

$uploadfromtaptalk1404093882559.jpg

Last edited:
Nice looking pulled pork Bruce! Timing of the cook is definitely a pain in the... butt... LOL. I know when I make one I'm typically up at 5am and everything is cooking by 530 if I want to eat by 7pm. Looks great though, glad everyone enjoyed it!

Cheers

M.

Great job, Bruce!

I did a butt today too. AND... since your fatty looked so good last week, I put one of those together too. Everyone loved it.

I used a Costco boneless butt and put on a dry rub the night before. The little flaps that stick out from removing the bone got a bit dry and I will probably trim all that off next time and smoke a smaller, more intact butt. They come two to a package so there will still be enough for everyone. The trimmings I can save to make a pot of green chili.

Some pics: First the butt dry-rubbed and ready to rest overnight.
$2014-6-29-01-ButtWithRub.JPG

Next, assembling the fatty. I used one pound of plain ground pork and one pound of Johnsonville Chorizo mixed. The stuffing is two roasted pablano chilis and some Jack cheese. The bacon weave is just Costco plain bacon.
$2014-6-29-02-AssembleFatty.JPG
$2014-6-29-03-BaconWeave.JPG
And, assembled and ready to rest overnight.
$2014-6-29-04-FattyPutTogether.JPG

Next, the butt on the Weber with a smokenator insert.
$2014-6-29-05-ButtStartsCooking.JPG
More in the next post

Top Bottom