What's new

My first attempt at smoking a Pork Butt

Camping got rained out, so what better way to celebrate and spend the weekend then firing up the smoker. :001_cool:

I have been slowly working my way through my "to do" list of items to smoke. We did a Brisket a few months ago that turned out great, a Fatty that was the best meal we have ever had off a BBQ and tomorrow I will be tackling a Pulled Pork.

The local meat market had a 6 lb Butt, but she said it was the Shoulder. Either way, I think it will be fine for the smoker. I applied a rub of Mustard, Fresh Rosemary, Pepper, Sea Salt, Parsley and some brown sugar. The rub looks nasty but I'm sure it will be fine. The plan is to mop/spray it with Apple Juice (couldn't find cider) and vegetable oil, periodically during the smoke to keep it moist. The rub has been applied, wrapped in cling-wrap, placed in large baggie and will fire up the smoker in the morning.

I have no idea how long this thing will take, but have read varying times of 1hr per pound and some say 12-14hrs for a 6lb butt. Either way, I'll start it early and set the smoker for about 225* and smoke until the internal temp hits about 200* and I can stick a skewer in it easily. If it's done early, it will get towel wrapped and placed in a warm cooler for a couple hours until needed.

We plan on having it for supper on some fresh kaisers as traditional pulled pork sandwiches and tortillas (pulled pork tacos) and serve with some sort of Spicy vinegar or BBQ sauce drizzle.

Any and all tips, tricks or help would be greatly appreciated.

6lb Butt:
$IMG_20140628_143722.jpg

Mustard Rub:
$IMG_20140628_152114.jpg

Ready to be wrapped:
$IMG_20140628_152504.jpg

More pics and details will follow tomorrow, once it gets put on the smoker.

Last edited:
You have a beautiful butt.

The kids have been giddy all morning and afternoon with that fact that we are smoking a "butt". You should have seen them at the meat market when we asked for it. The lady behind the counter knows us and has been there for years, so she got a kick out of it.

They were a bit shocked and confused when I told them the "butt" is actually near the front of the pig and when we eat ham, it is actually closer to the actual butt of the pig. Needles to say, they continued with their "butt" jokes and am sure it will continue tomorrow. :lol:

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
The kids have been giddy all morning and afternoon with that fact that we are smoking a "butt". You should have seen them at the meat market when we asked for it. The lady behind the counter knows us and has been there for years, so she got a kick out of it.

They were a bit shocked and confused when I told them the "butt" is actually near the front of the pig and when we eat ham, it is actually closer to the actual butt of the pig. Needles to say, they continued with their "butt" jokes and am sure it will continue tomorrow. :lol:

I enjoyed your brisket thread, and will follow this one. I had been satisfied with grilling, but I am ready to kick it up a notch. Your brisket thread really inspired me, and when I have some free cash I am going to jump into the game and build an ugly drum smoker. I like brisket and pulled pork a lot (edge goes to the pork)- might as well start making my own.

simon1

Self Ignored by Vista
Although I've never done a "butt" (I'm sure that makes me the butt of a joke)....

That looks great!

Pics, Pics, Pics to follow....YEAH!

Looks like we have the same BBQ bucket list. I am smoking my first pork butt tomorrow too. Mine is boneless and I will be applying a dry rub later this evening. If its okay with you, I may post a couple of pics in this thread tomorrow evening. Good luck to us both.

Looks like we have the same BBQ bucket list. I am smoking my first pork butt tomorrow too. Mine is boneless and I will be applying a dry rub later this evening. If its okay with you, I may post a couple of pics in this thread tomorrow evening. Good luck to us both.
Go for it. I'd love to see your butt :w00t:

It was funny at the meat market I was talking to another guy about smoking and he was doing a pulled pork on his newly acquired WSM tomorrow too.

Looking forward to your pics and experience. We can tackle these butts together. :thumbup1:

I've done two butts this summer and they have been a big hit. (wow, read that sentence out loud :scared:) My wife loudly proclaimed that she didn't like smoked meat - based on my previous attempts back when it was more about drinking beer and "monitoring" the smoke, but now I don't drink and found it easy to monitor the cooker by staying the heck away.

I believe my wife's words this summer have been along the lines of "Oh My GAWD, that is the BEST MEAT EVER!!!!!" So good luck to you. The pork butt is an easy cut to smoke and the end results are always fantastic.

I have just one suggestion, don't ask my how I know, but unless your smoker is super reliable, try not to do the oft mentioned overnight smoke. Or stay up & watch the temps.

Some butt thots here .. http://amazingribs.com/recipes/porknography/perfect_pulled_pork.html

Thanks. That is one of the links I have bookmarked and on my phone (along with this one) when I was preparing the Butt, it's a very detailed read and helped peak my interest in doing one. :thumbup1:

No Overnight smokes for me and my wife would probably not allow it. I don't want to worry about temps or have the alarm going off or worse...my deck on fire and me sleep through it.

Actually, I never leave the house/yard or make sure my wife is going to be around if I have to run out for a bit.

I believe my wife's words this summer have been along the lines of "Oh My GAWD, that is the BEST MEAT EVER!!!!!" So good luck to you. The pork butt is an easy cut to smoke and the end results are always fantastic.

Awesome! You got to love when your loved ones enjoy the meals too. Our littlest was never a big fan of meat until about last year. Now he's always asking for BBQ meals and loves smoked ribs and has already started asking for another fatty.

I have no idea why I waited so long to do pulled pork as I have heard it is an easier smoke then others. Hopefully good things come to those who wait and it goes over well with everyone.

Last edited:
My first smoked meat was a pork butt. Did it on my wife's propane grill. Took 16hrs as I didn't really know what I was doing and left the majority of the fat cap on.

I've done three since (including finally one on my own ng weber!) and each has been better than the last. Tuesday I'll be doing a pair on my new WSM and I'm super excited. Made my bbq sauce tonight and I'll be making the rub tomorrow night after I pick the butts up. Rub 'em on Monday and start the smoke Tuesday at about 5am. We'll see how it goes this time!

Bruce, make sure you keep us all up to date. It's an awesome cut of meat if you do it properly. Just be careful, my family no longer enjoys ribfests as my stuff is better. :)

Cheers

M.

I just checked my notes from the last one I did, a 7.5# bone in butt. Took at total of 10 hrs, 3.5 hrs at 180 degrees, then 6.5 hrs at 225. Pulled it at 203 IT. it rested in a cooler wrapped in towels for close to two hours before we were ready to eat and the IT was still 170. I was able to pull the bone out cleanly and it just basically fell apart when I started shredding. It was a hit with the family. Don't get impatient and turn up the heat when you inevitably hit the stall at around 170 degrees IT, I've done that before, it doesn't adversely effect the outcome, just unnecessary.

Thanks for the tips @Osborn Cox

My last two smokes I noticed the meat always plateaus and can sit at any given temp for hours. I won't rush this and will let it be done when it's done.

And we are Live...

$uploadfromtaptalk1404051730164.jpg
$uploadfromtaptalk1404051741714.jpg

I mainly do these in the dead of night so I can sleep through the plateau. I see all the appropriate tools at your disposal.

What's up with the string? Just came that way?

Great minds think alike Bruce. I threw a couple of shoulders on the smoker this morning.

The names of cuts can vary greatly depending on where you are. I've seen blade roast, pork blade roast, boston butt, pork shoulder butt, and pork shoulder blade roast for the cut that we affectionately call the "butt." What you have is a butt. A nice rectangular roast with or without the blade bone in it. Shoulders or picnic shoulders (etc.) are shaped more like a rounded off triangle. Similar to the old school vicks cough drops. In my case I went with shoulders because they were 70 cents per pound cheaper.

It looks like you're using a temp control system. If that's the case, once you've got a couple of these bad boys under your belt and know what to expect, go for the overnight cook. Don't fear the reaper. Embrace the darkness and have a nice lunch.

Top Bottom