What's new

My first attempt at smoking a Pork Butt

OK...so here is what we did with the leftover pulled pork.

Brought to room temp, heated in cast iron with some water and put a lid on it to keep moist, wife made some homemade waffles and then we fried up some eggs.

So it is a Pulled Pork Waffle Sandwich topped with a runny egg and homemade BBQ sauce with a fruit skewer on the side.

View attachment 467539

You, sir, are a genius!

I'm going to smoke a butt next week just to make this sandwich.

You, sir, are a genius!

I'm going to smoke a butt next week just to make this sandwich.

I can't take credit for coming up with the idea, but it was pretty tasty. Apparently pulled pork goes well with waffles, packakes, tortillas and just about anything.

That looks delicious Bruce!!

I wonder how that would taste with some Jam, or apple butter, instead of the BBQ sauce.

Or bacon :drool:

I'm sure it would taste well with a variety of toppings, including the ones you suggested. We have been experimenting with Savory Crepes and waffles lately, so it was right up our alley.

We may try Cornbread waffles next time as I see there are a few recipes out there for that combo.

I put the rub on a six and a half pound shoulder tonight, after trimming the fat pad. Two bucks a pound, not bad considering the inflated price of pig nowadays.

It'll go in the Kettle in the morning.

Butt went in a 10:00, Weber kettle (22") set up for a Minion method burn with the coals "pocketed" with two half fire bricks, along with some soaked Apple wood. Ye Olde Maverick thermometer, at least the local half that still works, shows 42 degrees. Will see how it goes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Butt went in a 10:00, Weber kettle (22") set up for a Minion method burn with the coals "pocketed" with two half fire bricks, along with some soaked Apple wood. Ye Olde Maverick thermometer, at least the local half that still works, shows 42 degrees. Will see how it goes.

Looks good. What temp are you smoking at, and how long do you think it will take?

Our second attempt at pulled pork was much better then our first....not that the first was anything to turn your nose up at.

I'd say that butt may be ready for bedtime....if you're lucky.

Our second butt was 6lb and took 15 hours of smoking to get to 200* internal and then we foiled, wrapped and placed in cooler for about 90 min and it was perfection.

Looks good. What temp are you smoking at, and how long do you think it will take?

Ha! I'm advanced enough to have a meat thermometer, but not one one the Kettle!

I figure 6-8 hours.

Just checked it at 18:16 my time, and after 8 hours it's sitting at 178 degrees. It stopped at about 170 for a long time.

Last edited:
You can stick a candy thermometer or something similar in one of the vent holes on the dome lid, to give an estimate. I did that for a few years and it works fine.

6lbs, 8hrs and already 180*, I'd guess you are cooking it at over 300*.

Be sure to follow up with pics and thoughts.

Last edited:
You can stick a candy thermometer or something similar in one of the vent holes on the dome lid, to give an estimate. I did that for a few years and it works fine.

6lbs, 8hrs and already 180*, I'd guess you are cooking it at over 300*.

Be sure to follow up with pics and thoughts.

I agree. I imagine it's a regular size butt. I did one at around 270 and it took about 10 hours, but I also foiled at 170.

Taylor digital at vent hole says 280. I opened up the bottom vent from about 1/8" to 1/4" a couple hours ago because I got impatient, but decided to eat a delicious can of Chef-Boy-R-Dee raviolis tonight and sit tight.

Straight from the can, too.

Just pulled it when the Maverick said 200 degrees. Blade bone pulled right out, nice smoke ring. In to the oven it goes for awhile before pulling. Tasted a sample.

Conclusion: Raviolis from a can suck by comparison. :001_rolle

About half way through, I think.

Finally done!

Last edited by a moderator:
2 x 8lbs butts going on the cooker Late tonight for a Mothers Day Supper Feast with family. I figure at 225* total with resting and pulling, should hopefully see them ready for supper at 6pm Sunday or a bit earlier and they can rest longer.

I've never done two at a time. Is there any secret or time variations I should worry about?

If they are done wickedly early, what is the best way to get keep them or get them supper ready at a specific time?

Last edited:
2 x 8lbs butts going on the cooker Late tonight for a Mothers Day Supper Feast with family. I figure at 225* total with resting and pulling, should hopefully see them ready for supper at 6pm Sunday or a bit earlier and they can rest longer.

I've never done two at a time. Is there any secret or time variations I should worry about?

If they are done wickedly early, what is the best way to get keep them or get them supper ready at a specific time?

When I double up, it usually takes the same amount of time generally.

I'd start them like you were doing 1 and if they are done early, double wrap them in heavy duty aluminum foil, place in a cooler and wrap towels around the meat. You can keep them warm enough that it will be almost too hot to touch for hours. I've just put them in a cooler, but Jim had a great idea when he suggested preheating the cooler with hot water to keep the meat hotter longer if need be. If you're running out of time before the serve time, wrap the butts in foil while on the smoker. The foiled method is like turbo cooking.

Anyone ever brought two boys (8&10) to the butcher to pick up Butts? :blush:

It didn't help when I walk in and told our regular lady we were there for a couple butts.

Attachments

• $uploadfromtaptalk1431197044029.jpg
    $uploadfromtaptalk1431197044029.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 20
Top Bottom