What's new

My Fatip, Joris, Schone, Collection and Journey 2018 and Beyond.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I pulled stir fry today from the freezer for lunch. I actually pulled out a container of Sherpards Pie on the first attempt.

homer.jpg

Lets play, Pick That Soap!

One soap or cream Rave and one soap or cream only. If you could only have one, which would it be?

Raven Koenes

My precious!
View attachment 992706

Lets play, Pick That Soap!

One soap or cream Rave and one soap or cream only. If you could only have one, which would it be?
Any soap without Shepard's Pie in it will do. I think that should cover about all of them. Seriously, Saponificio Varesino Stella Alpina is it. It's a great soap and the scent is outstanding! It is my favorite scent of any soap.

Picking one soap is a very difficult chore. I'm surprised rave got it narrowed so readily. My face can't tolerate it, but Stirling baker street almost was my only soap. If I hadn't had a reaction to it, I likely wouldn't have went hunting for anything else. The scent is that intoxicating.

I just got the barrister and Mann Vespers soap and aftershave set. Fantastic scent. They took the reserve fern scent and made it like Christmas. It's incredible. They added cranberry and balsam to the fern and it synergizes very well together. Would it be my one and only soap? Probably not. The performance of the B&M excelsior base though, is very high up there with the best bases. I need a full week with it, but if it continues to shave me as well as it has, it will be my best soap base. Better than WK, GD, B&M reserve, Stirling, Sudsy Soapery, haslinger schafmilch, SV. Problem is finding a scent from B&M that I like. I'll have to get a sampler eventually.

Anyway, happy shaves all!

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
6-9-19.RedInjun.Boker.Kit.Jade.Valencia.640.JPG

It's a veggie base, but the new Grooming Dept veggie soaps are great performers. The scent is a step removed from just simply being orange. Still, it is like the best orange scent ever, but better, and just complex enough.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
SOTD: :001_wub:
Razor: Fatip Grande n
Blade: Silver Star (5)
Brush: Omega S10019
Soap: Barrister and Mann Latha Taiga
Aftershave: Stirling Coniferous
028_50.jpg

I can't seem to get away from the cedar sent from Sundance. B&M discontinued their Latha line awhile back. I don't know why? It is a very slick and protective soap. I love my nickel Grande. This is my second week with it. I think I'll use it until further notice. Of all my Fatips this gem is my favorite.

Last edited:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Brush: Omega Omega S10077
026_50.jpg
This is a very nice set up. I look forward to trying more Barrister and Mann soaps. I'm intrigued by this discontinued Latha soap. I can't do the 10 second load time like I do with my SV soaps, but nothing is quite SV. B&M by all accounts makes a top tier soap none-the-less. I really do believe I've found the perfect Fatip in the Grande Mk2. I know this is just an opinion but I have tried a few :wink2:.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
What's better about the Grande, Rave?

In my opinion the Grande has the best handle of all the Fatips I've tried. The only handle I actually dislike is the too skinny Piccolo handle but the best is the fat Grande.

Of course I disagree about the head. The best I think is the Mk1. They're all good, but one's the best.

You might try some Grooming Dept soaps, Rave, just to see what you're missing. Also, the GD Preshave and Serum would be much to your liking I suspect. Mo's products just continue to improve. Every version is an upgrade, but the older stuff is still great.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
What's better about the Grande, Rave?

In my opinion the Grande has the best handle of all the Fatips I've tried. The only handle I actually dislike is the too skinny Piccolo handle but the best is the fat Grande.

Of course I disagree about the head. The best I think is the Mk1. They're all good, but one's the best.

You might try some Grooming Dept soaps, Rave, just to see what you're missing. Also, the GD Preshave and Serum would be much to your liking I suspect. Mo's products just continue to improve. Every version is an upgrade, but the older stuff is still great.

Happy shaves,

Jim
Thanks for the enabling advice on the soap Jim :001_tongu. You are right, it all comes down to the handle. I don't mind the Piccolo handle. I like the added weight and balance. The thought of using it everyday, for the rest of my life, rules it out when you have the convenience of the added diameter of the Grande handle. That the handle is short is also a huge plus. I think TobyC said anything over three and a half inches is wasted. The Grande is very maneuverable due to the shorter handle. This makes it superior to all other Fatips in my opinion for everyday use. Right now I don't want to use anything else even though some models are even more aesthetically pleasing to look at.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
Thanks for the enabling advice on the soap Jim :001_tongu. You are right, it all comes down to the handle. I don't mind the Piccolo handle. I like the added weight and balance. The thought of using it everyday, for the rest of my life, rules it out when you have the convenience of the added diameter of the Grande handle. That the handle is short is also a huge plus. I think TobyC said anything over three and a half inches is wasted. The Grande is very maneuverable due to the shorter handle. This makes it superior to all other Fatips in my opinion for everyday use. Right now I don't want to use anything else even though some models are even more aesthetically pleasing to look at.

We're on the same page.

8-31-18.Plisson-Joris.MdC.Jade.640.JPG

I also like the handle on my Plisson. It's way too long but it is balanced nicely and fat enough, so it works better than I'd expect. Still, I'd prefer more thickness at the very top.

Enabling you is high on my priority list, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Enabling you is high on my priority list, Rave.

Happy shaves,

Jim
:001_tt2: I did look at GD soaps. They are all but sold out of everything I'd be interested in. Then I remembered Wholly Kaw. I ordered King of Oud in Vegan. I ordered Vegan just because I'm fascinated with good performing non-tallow soaps. I figure everyone orders the tallow version. That would open up a review of the non-tallow version for me.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
:001_tt2: I did look at GD soaps. They are all but sold out of everything I'd be interested in. Then I remembered Wholly Kaw. I ordered King of Oud in Vegan. I ordered Vegan just because I'm fascinated with good performing non-tallow soaps. I figure everyone orders the tallow version. That would open up a review of the non-tallow version for me.

Resistance is futile, Rave.

King of Oud is a scent I really love. At first I didn't much like it but it really grew on me.

I'm with you. Veggie soaps shouldn't be ignored. There are plenty of excellent performers. I'm not tried the WK veggie soap base as far as I know. One of my favorite soaps is the Grooming Dept Valencia (veggie base); I love both the scent and the performance.

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Brush: Omega Omega S10065
024_50.jpg
It is always nice revisiting my Omega S10065 brush. It is my favorite of the Omega S line, and the Omega 10065 is my favorite of their boar brushes. I find the 10065 brushes to be the perfect size and loft. The diameter and density of both the S and boar hair 10065 series brushes are perfect. I also like the snappy red handle. Today's shave was another fantastic shave with one draw back. I like the performance of the soap and aftershave, but the pine, cedar, coniferous thing is beginning to wear on me. One can only go around smelling like a pinecone for so long.

Chan Eil Whiskers

Fumbling about.
One can only go around smelling like a pinecone for so long.

Interesting how some splashes and the scent of some soaps get old whereas others grow on you.

I have a good sense of smell in that I smell things well enough, but it doesn't translate into the arena of understanding what I'm smelling. I usually have great trouble describing scents or telling you what something smells like.

For instance, I couldn't begin to tell you what King of Oud smells like. All I know is I like it, it's a complex scent (I think), and it grew on me.

6-9-19.RedInjun.Boker.Kit.Jade.Valencia.640.JPG

Now this one I do have the ability to describe. It smells like oranges, but it's the best smelling orange scent ever with just the smallest hint of something just dark or heavy enough to take the edge off the orange so the scent doesn't seem too one dimensional or soon become "too much."

Happy shaves,

Jim

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Silver Star (8)
Brush: Omega Omega S10081
021_50.jpg
Sometimes your shave is so good with your Fatip you just want to kiss it. Warning Fatips kiss back if you're not careful.

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Silver Star (9)
Brush: Omega S11745
023_50.jpg
Today was my end of the week shave. My lip is healing quite nicely after kissing my Fatip Grande yesterday. I got a fat lip from my Fatip where it bit . My shave was very nice bbs with dfs on my neck. Next week I will use my Grande, a fresh Silver Star, APShaveco brushes, and my first use of De Vergulde Scheerzeep, along with an old standby Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash. Reports are coming up on the De Vergulde. :w00t:

Raven Koenes

My precious!
Blade: Silver Star (1)
Brush: Razorock Bruce
Soap: De Vergulde Hand Scheerzeep
Aftershave: Figaro Monsieur Gold Splash
026_50.jpg
What a nice set up for the week. I always like it when I switch up to a new blade and break it in on 72 hours of growth. De Vergulde is a nice soap. It's not SV or Barrister and Mann quality, but it does rank in there with Proraso and Tabac. It may be a cheap perhaps not well loved soap in the Netherlands, but maybe that is because it is common and their are so many other options. De Vergulde is the manufacturer that produces Fine Accoutrement soaps after all. I find the soap does not like to be watered down thin for slickness. When you do that you get a lot of blade feel. I like blade feel but that was a tad too much. I found that out on the first pass. The second and third passes I built the lather up a little more and the cushion/protection was spot on. The final rinse and post shave feel was slick and silky. It's a good soap, and for a $7.00 soap that I like it's a keeper. My one complaint was that the puck smells awesome, but when I lathered it the scent dissipated some what. Maybe it was just me. I'll pay more attention tomorrow.

Last edited:
Top Bottom