What's new

My evening efforts

that has to be better then the smell of turning horn!

Never turned any horn. My favorite wood to turn regarding fragrance is sassafras- it would make a lovely shaving soap scent. Unfortunately, the wood is carcinogenic and a pulmonary irritant. I wear a mask in the shop any way, but I rarely turn sassafras for this reason.

Can you share more details about the CA finish? I have some wooden brushes where the oil finish is not holding up & would like to try CA.....

Can you share more details about the CA finish? I have some wooden brushes where the oil finish is not holding up & would like to try CA.....

Sure- the CA finish I use is applied while the handle is still on the lathe. The CA is applied in multiple layers with no sanding in between. Once you have applied all the CA coats you desire, you sand with 400 grit mesh sand paper, then polish. It takes all of about 10 minutes. I finish the knot hole as well but leave the CA sanded without polishing to give the epoxy a rougher surface to bind. In fact, I try to apply a very light coat of epoxy to the knot hole to provide additional water resistance.

I have read on some straight razor forums about guys using CA glue on wooden scales of their straights so a lathe application is not compulsory, it's just the way I do it.
Check out the video on this site

http://tmiproducts.net/stickfast/stickfast.html

After the CA finish is completed, I always overlay the CA with either beeswax or a wax called Renaissance wax. The beeswax smells awesome as it heats on the lathe, but you have to be careful because the friction and heat can cause the CA glue to revert to liquid form again and it with get tacky and start tugging. The renaissance wax does not smell awesome but does a great job and dries to a hard finish almost instantly after buffing.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Joe --

Beautiful finish, great choice of wood. Also, that shape looks like it would fit the hand very nicely. Great work!

Top Bottom