What's new

My evening efforts

I hope I'm not being annoying by posting each of my new brushes, I just have no one else to share them with :sad:

Olive wood handle with CA and wax finish. TGN 22mm 2 band finest knot, 47mm loft.

$IMG_1347.jpg
Pre-bloom image

$IMG_1345.jpg
Handle detail

Will post some post bloom images tomorrow. Again, if it is inappropriate to post all your new creations, let me know. I'll chill out. Going to order a few more TGN knots for some Christmas presents.

Pfft I post EVERYTHING I do. Look at my 1600 posts lol. Post away, besides your creations are gorgeous. Any info on what you are making them with/how you are making them/etc? Have you tried knots that aren't from TGN?

Thanks for your kind words guys. All of the handles I have made are wooden, turned on the lathe in my small wood shop. I have been experimenting with finishes and have found the CA glue to be the quickest and most consistent, not to mention, I suspect it will also be the most water resistant. The only finish that is easier is pure tung oil, but that takes about 4-6 weeks to cure and I doubt it is as water resistant as CA glue. I have not tried any other knots. All are finest grade from TGN. I have read some about knots from whipped dog- any info on those. I do have a beautiful brush made by Rudy Vey which has a black badger from TGN which is starting to soften. It was a little rough in the beginning but it is really maturing nicely.

Pfft I post EVERYTHING I do. Look at my 1600 posts lol. Post away, besides your creations are gorgeous. Any info on what you are making them with/how you are making them/etc? Have you tried knots that aren't from TGN?

That's a beautiful brush, well done!

Since you mentioned Whipped Dog knots, I'll share my experience: today I finished another two restorations; again one with a 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip knot and the other with TGN finest 22m knot. During the initial wash the Whipped Dog silvertip knot shed more than 60 hairs! I stopped counting at 60. The first WD knot that I restored in an EV 150 a few days ago also shed a lot of hair. The 22mm TGN shed only one hair.

That's a beautiful brush, well done!

Since you mentioned Whipped Dog knots, I'll share my experience: today I finished another two restorations; again one with a 24mm Whipped Dog Silvertip knot and the other with TGN finest 22m knot. During the initial wash the Whipped Dog silvertip knot shed more than 60 hairs! I stopped counting at 60. The first WD knot that I restored in an EV 150 a few days ago also shed a lot of hair. The 22mm TGN shed only one hair.

My TGN knots are holding up very well. Of the four I currently have in rotation, two of them are yet to shed a single hair (that I have noticed) and two have shed two hairs apiece.

I hope I'm not being annoying by posting each of my new brushes, I just have no one else to share them with :sad:

Olive wood handle with CA and wax finish. TGN 22mm 2 band finest knot, 47mm loft.

View attachment 199610
Pre-bloom image

View attachment 199609
Handle detail

Will post some post bloom images tomorrow. Again, if it is inappropriate to post all your new creations, let me know. I'll chill out. Going to order a few more TGN knots for some Christmas presents.

You do excellent handles and what strikes me is that they are all so ergonomic looking. You have a natural talent for this.

Nice!

I check this forum of B&B 6-7 times a day.
Just to see the brushes members have made/restored.
Personally I think ya'll are a bunch of slackers. :wink2: POST MORE BRUSHES!

I love the look of waxed olive wood.
my grandmother bought me some sort of religious bell/virgin mary carved out of olive wood. It's a fairly light (density) wood, isn't it?

I would say medium density. Its not porous at all which is nice, but very oily. Very easy to turn on the lathe. You see a lot of wooden pens made from olive wood. It smells wonderful when turned on the lathe, just like fresh olives, so my shop smells very nice right now.

I love the look of waxed olive wood.
my grandmother bought me some sort of religious bell/virgin mary carved out of olive wood. It's a fairly light (density) wood, isn't it?

I would say medium density. Its not porous at all which is nice, but very oily. Very easy to turn on the lathe. You see a lot of wooden pens made from olive wood. It smells wonderful when turned on the lathe, just like fresh olives, so my shop smells very nice right now.

that has to be better then the smell of turning horn!

Top Bottom