What's new

My Birthday PIF

Yes, all three independently chose Tai Winds and Bootleggers. I feel honored that they all selected my favorite as one of their choices. And yes, having the MdC make it to the last person was a shock to me.

There's one more thing...
:blink: Where's Waldo?

KJ.

I just wanted to thank you again for the wonderful PIF. It was so generous of you. As a newbie to the WS DE world, I will put these to wonderful use.

I promise to PIF, pun intended, once I build up a bit of stuff. I would love to be able to do one like you did - keeping it fun as well.

Rob

Huh, interesting.
My choices were based mostly on what I haven't ever tried. I have a EverReady 1912 and a 40's SS. CO Bigalow and Arko are in my regular rotation, so don't need them. Been wanting to try Tabac for a while now since its so universally popular, but never got around to buying some. Of course had to honor your b-day with the Avon Tai Winds, and I've been wanting to try the bootleggers before I acutally go out and buy the ingredients to make a batch. So that's my explanation.

Thanks again, this is so cool, I can't wait to try this stuff out. As soon as I get it, I'm going to start prepping a PIF of my own...

Huh, interesting.
My choices were based mostly on what I haven't ever tried. I have a EverReady 1912 and a 40's SS. CO Bigalow and Arko are in my regular rotation, so don't need them. Been wanting to try Tabac for a while now since its so universally popular, but never got around to buying some. Of course had to honor your b-day with the Avon Tai Winds, and I've been wanting to try the bootleggers before I acutally go out and buy the ingredients to make a batch. So that's my explanation.

Thanks again, this is so cool, I can't wait to try this stuff out. As soon as I get it, I'm going to start prepping a PIF of my own...

If I had won this PIF (prior to last night) I would have chosen the Tabac for the same reason. HOwever, I finally acquired a sample via the Never Ending Travel Box. I lathered it up last night, and it was everything everyone has ever said it would be. Easy, ample lather. The scent though was odd for me. I thought I would really enjoy it... but similar to Castle Forbes Cedar and Sandalwood, it smelled a bit like a smoker... not in a bad way. Just in a way that doesn't work for me. Many people enjoy it though! I hope you're one of them.

Ah... all the middle bottles look green to me. Maybe it's just wishful thinking. Actually, I sprayed the veg for the first time last night. Interesting sensation.
No, you're right. The small middle sample is The Veg. But that was not a choice they made. I told everyone they were getting a sample of The Veg in addition to their choices.

I'm surprised the Savile Row brush made it down to number 3.
Yes, you got it. I expected that brush to go right away. AndroiDad75 even commented that he couldn't believe that brush was still available when it got to him. He's going to LOVE it!

Funny stuff that we all picked the same AS's. There were just too many to choose! :scared: My choices were basically made on the same premise as SJ's, but in all honesty, that encompasses oh... every single thing that was up, with the exception of the 40's SS, and Personna blue blades lol. The brushes were the toughest choice, especially between the Omega and the Semogue. I noticed the Savile Row, but was more in need of a good boar than a badger.

And thanks again to KJ for the awesome PIF! :ouch1:

I also got a surprise package!!!!

All I can say is man this brush is super nice. I didn't realize how bad mine was until I tried this one. What a generous PIF!!!!!

Also tried the bootleggers bay rum, and the misses really liked it. Looks like it may be a keeper. I haven't used the razor yet. May save that for the beginning of next week.

Thanks again KJ!!!

Shave lineup for tonight:
Eveready 1912 razor
Omega Shave Brush
Razorock soap
Bigelow shave cream
Bootleggers bay rum AS.

First run was awesome. The razor gave every bit as good a shave as my Futur, and the blade was super responsive; I knew by feel when my angle was good, and if my angle got a little off, instant feedback. Surprisingly few weepers, easily a DFS, though not quite BBS. But for a first shave, on a new learning curve, I'm pretty impressed.
The soap/cream combo was good, though tonight was the first time I ever ran out of lather, right at the end.
The boar brush was surprisingly nice, every bit as soft as my current badger. Very nice improvement.
I tried the bootleggers tonight, because it was the strongest scent of the three, to see how the missus reacted to it. She didn't complain, so I think it's in the good.:001_tongu Probably not going to be my "go-to" aftershave tho, just because it's very strong scented; really nice scent, just powerful.

Woo!! Got mine yesterday, shaved this morning:
Flare-Tip SuperSpeed
Personna Red Blade
Vestivia Brush
Viking Cream
Bootleggers

Thoughts:
My new favorite tube of cream (so far). I've been using CO Bigalow, but the Viking gave me a great shave today and I'm a fan of the mild yet manly scent. That brush is HEAVY, but is nice and soft, builds great lather, and holds plenty of water. The razor performed as expected - never used the personnas before (normally a Astra SP guy) and was very happy with the results. Used the bootlegger's, the wife seemed to take to it well (she's hard to please) so I'm happy with that. The Tai Winds smells VERY familiar to me, just can't place it. I think my grandpa used something similar, Brut? Stetson maybe?

Props to TheVez2 on a GREAT PIF, and also for the reuse of MRE Tabasco bottles as sample vials. =)

Top Bottom