What's new

My 7-day Set

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
The original pictures of your razors showed one that was much darker than the others. The latest picture in post #92 they look more evenly matched although it's hard to tell with them in the case.

You could use the dark one as your "Monday" and have them get lighter and lighter as you progress through the the week.
Probably best to decide this before any engraving happens.
I decided to keep my darker scaled ACRM-2 separate from my matching 7DS. This SR has its own zippered black leather case. It will be engraved with "Vesperum" and be restricted to my necessary evening shaves.

IMG_20200503_065725.jpg

My Vesperum SR will initially not see much use as both opera and ballet performances are currently closed for the duration.

It's not always easy living in my little bit of paradise.

I’m coming round to this idea. A three piece set might be a good middle ground for me. 10-15 minutes of razor maintenance every three days would be fine. Storage space would be about right too. With a ‘grab it and go’ approach mornings could be just as quick as the DE saving the maintainable to be done all together.

And the shave... Come on guys, I know we are all very diplomatic here but let’s be honest, it’s better than DE isn’t it? When it clicks into place it’s really really good.

The matching razors are starting to make sense to me now too. They let you hone in your technique with that blade and take one more decision out of the day. After the GRUME there may be a few more Ralf Aust’s on the way to Australia. No days of the week for me though. To each his own on that detail.

My question is shouldn’t you strop the razor right before you use it since the purpose is to clean the blades edge and remove any oxidation? If you did this say once a week on Sunday afternoon, this would give your Saturday razor plenty time for that to happen? I’m still a newb...would love to hear I can just do them all at once, then pull them out and go each morning!

My question is shouldn’t you strop the razor right before you use it since the purpose is to clean the blades edge and remove any oxidation? If you did this say once a week on Sunday afternoon, this would give your Saturday razor plenty time for that to happen? I’m still a newb...would love to hear I can just do them all at once, then pull them out and go each morning!
To my mind this should be fine. I always thought that stropping just re-aligned the blade edge after shaving. I see no reason why the timing of the stropping should make any difference. I’d love to hear everyone else’s take on this.

Another bonus of a three day set would be that you could take your straight razors for a weekend away without the need for strops and hones in your travel case. This would be a lot more practical. Of course seven razors would extend your stay but that’s starting to take up more room than a paddle strop would.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This, my first seven-day set, will probably end up being my travel set. My second seven-day set, (Titan VG10-HG T.H. 63, already in transit) would then be my home set. First I will have to see which is the better razor to shave with.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
To my mind this should be fine. I always thought that stropping just re-aligned the blade edge after shaving. I see no reason why the timing of the stropping should make any difference. I’d love to hear everyone else’s take on this.

Another bonus of a three day set would be that you could take your straight razors for a weekend away without the need for strops and hones in your travel case. This would be a lot more practical. Of course seven razors would extend your stay but that’s starting to take up more room than a paddle strop would.
The edge of all SR's start corrode as soon as clean steel is in contact with air (humidity and oxygen). Even the best stainless steel is the same. This does affect the edge sharpness although few would notice it even after many days of this corrosion. For the neurotic, it's probably best to strop immediately before each shave.

The case for my M7DS is 195mm x 155mm x 43mm. Not to big to carry with brush and shave stick even when motorcycle riding.

For just a weekend away, a M2DS would be ideal. Then of course you could consider a M3DS, M4DS, etc. for longer trips.

I think the oxidation effect would be very small after just a few days. Putting a light coat of mineral oil on the blade after maintenance should keep it golden for a long period.

But I think we have our answer. A selection of sets for every possible occasion! A gentleman should be prepared for anything.

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
I think the oxidation effect would be very small after just a few days. Putting a light coat of mineral oil on the blade after maintenance should keep it golden for a long period.

But I think we have our answer. A selection of sets for every possible occasion! A gentleman should be prepared for anything.
Sir, with the correct guidance, you could also be a true gentleman of (modest) means.

The edge of all SR's start corrode as soon as clean steel is in contact with air (humidity and oxygen). Even the best stainless steel is the same. This does affect the edge sharpness although few would notice it even after many days of this corrosion. For the neurotic, it's probably best to strop immediately before each shave.

The case for my M7DS is 195mm x 155mm x 43mm. Not to big to carry with brush and shave stick even when motorcycle riding.

For just a weekend away, a M2DS would be ideal. Then of course you could consider a M3DS, M4DS, etc. for longer trips.
I also use mine for motorcycle trips. I’m needing to find a mirror the size of my 7 day case still. My brush: I have a piece of leather that i punched a hole on opposite ends and ran a leather strap through it. That’s when i take them for travel. Otherwise the brush sits in a nicer case.
I love having 7 razors to choose from that are ready but i do strop before every shave. Maybe i will try stropping the once a week since you say i won’t notice a difference...

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
At last my final two SR's arrived!

IMG_20200602_120201.jpg
I can now start shaving with them. Didn't want to have uneven wear.

All that is left now to complete this, my first matching seven-day set, is to get the calf leather to fit to the underside of the lid and arrange for the spine engraving in Latin. That will have to wait until businesses open up a bit more.

Total cost do far is USD 248.

At last my final two SR's arrived!

I can now start shaving with them. Didn't want to have uneven wear.

All that is left now to complete this, my first matching seven-day set, is to get the calf leather to fit to the underside of the lid and arrange for the spine engraving in Latin. That will have to wait until businesses open up a bit more.

Total cost do far is USD 248.

congrats....the Latin engraving will be a nice touch!

camo

rbscebu

Girls call me Makaluod
This morning I put a Method edge on the last two SR's of my first matching 7DS. All SR's in the set are now ready to shave. I will start using this set next Monday.

Now the question arises, how to use the set?

My thoughts on the use of this set are:

Each morning, wipe oil from blade, clean leather strop, shave, clean and dry blade, oil blade and then put away. Each Sunday afternoon wipe oil from blades and give each blade about 50 laps on a 0.1um hanging balsa strop, re-oil blades and put them away.

I might be being a bit neurotic with keeping the blades oiled. After all, these Titan 1918 ACRM-2's are noticeably more corrosion resistant than my GD W59. They will however be resting for 168 hours between use. I also might dispense with the daily clean leather stropping and just strop all on Sunday afternoons after their hanging balsa stropping.

Maybe I should get a second matching matching seven-day set so that I can compare.

What do other 7DS users do?

This morning I put a Method edge on the last two SR's of my first matching 7DS. All SR's in the set are now ready to shave. I will start using this set next Monday.

Now the question arises, how to use the set?

My thoughts on the use of this set are:

Each morning, wipe oil from blade, clean leather strop, shave, clean and dry blade, oil blade and then put away. Each Sunday afternoon wipe oil from blades and give each blade about 50 laps on a 0.1um hanging balsa strop, re-oil blades and put them away.

I might be being a bit neurotic with keeping the blades oiled. After all, these Titan 1918 ACRM-2's are noticeably more corrosion resistant than my GD W59. They will however be resting for 168 hours between use. I also might dispense with the daily clean leather stropping and just strop all on Sunday afternoons after their hanging balsa stropping.

Maybe I should get a second matching matching seven-day set so that I can compare.

What do other 7DS users do?

I oil all my blades regardless if they will get used next day or 3 days from now.

oil is always a good thing.......or at least I've never heard someone exclaim, "I over oiled my blades and ruined them for good."

this holds double true for your current environment/climate......might want to use something that passes a mil spec salt spray test!!!!! kidding with that statement but have put G96 on my blades before.

camo

Top Bottom