What's new

Murphy & McNeil

I ordered so many things on Black Friday, I am scared to see what starts rolling in this week! I finally pulled the trigger on M&M Green Man tub and splash. I have been loving the sample of that scent. I tried to get some of the one off soaps, but the ones I wanted were sold out.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
My Nantahala is supposed to arrive today, but my wife will squirrel it away for Christmas morning.

The Kodiak base appears to be a slight upgrade from the Aon formula by the addition of Bear Tallow. Otherwise, the bases are similar. I hope you like Nantahala, but I would not count on it being a lot different if you do not like Aon.

When you say you like Grooming Department, which of the numerous soap bases do you like. I find all of them to be good, but I like some better than others. I hope to order the new Nai base Aion soap when the next batch releases on Wednesday.

I have never used Tallow and Steel, but in an effort to fill in some gaps in my soap collection, I ordered T&S West Indies. I have read great things about performance, so that should not be an issue. I have read mixed reviews on scents, so I hope I like the scent.
my kodiak is due tomorrow.
as for gd i have had nice results with most but I am really enjoying the Nai / Aion right now. its frankly tremendous.
AS for T+S I hope you enjoy / like it. Originally I wasn't interested because of price point and mostly scent. When in Pastures i smell tested most of the line and wasn't thrilled. I took the plunge when they had the limited release of the "coke" version and never looked back. The sas'qets version is beyond my expectations in terms of lather face feel ... everything.

My Nantahala arrived today, haven't used it yet but out of the container I
get a jasmine rice scent with some underlying notes. Jasmine rice isn't my favorite scent
but I haven't loaded a brush yet. I'm looking forward to the performance of this soap and
I'm sure that the scent will change, it's certainly not bad. Might even have some bear breath notes
come out.

I received Naid today. I ordered in part because my two other M&M soaps are in the original, soft base, and I love them. Also because it was $9.99 shipped for 5.5 oz. Also because I’m very proud of my 30 year-old successful Asperger’s son.

Hannah's Dad

I Can See Better Than Bigfoot.
I received Naid today. I ordered in part because my two other M&M soaps are in the original, soft base, and I love them. Also because it was $9.99 shipped for 5.5 oz. Also because I’m very proud of my 30 year-old successful Asperger’s son.
Awesome, Scott! I also like supporting a company like M&M that gives back for great causes.

Used my Nantahala today, I'm not an eloquent writer or reviewer so I won't try. Will I stop using my
WSP, CRSW, Long Rifle, WK, B&M,or even my RazoRocks? Well no, as I get a good shave and enjoy them
all.
Tallow or not I enjoy most of my 45 or so soaps, but Nantahala is my very best; what a great lather.
I could actually feel the slickness as I face lathered with my RR synthetic. I've had 3 "wow's" since I started
wet shaving. My very first wet shave using a Soap Commander soap was eye opening for how nice my face felt.
I had never experienced that using a disposable and canned foam so I knew I was hooked then. The second time
was with either a new formula Wholly Kaw or B&M. I thought "wow"what a great soap with slickness and post
shave feel. Today I am even more "wowed" by Nantahala, this is a must have shave soap. I'm now looking
forward to my next shave using my new unused Zingari Man Nomad

I picked up some Nantahala and some Naid on Black Friday. For whatever reason, Naid is my favorite of the scents I've sampled from M&M. I assumed that the reason for the discount for the soft tallow soaps was to finish up inventory. I'm hoping that they'll continue Naid in another base.

I'm using the tobacco fanile soap from m&m. I am loving it. Also on a side note he is a great guy to deal with. I got my hyashi from him a lowborn brush and a couple of used soap aftershave combos. He is super friendly and any question you have he will respond.

The soaps I've tried 3 samples now and I know I've tried both bases. The soaps work great. The only complaint I have which is personal preference I wish the soaps were a little stronger scented. But a lot of people dont like strong scents. I asked about it. He did say he makes the aftershave to strengthen the scent so if you prefer stronger scent use both if you like softer scent go easy on the aftershave.

How does this compare to tallow & steel?

I have purchased a tub of T&S West Indies, but won't try it until after Christmas (my wife's rules). From other reviews I expect the performance to be excellent to outstanding, but T&S scents tend to be polarizing.

M&M Aon formula also falls into that excellent to outstanding performance level, so I expect T&S and M&M Aon would be similar in performance. However, everything I have read about M&M Kodiak base indicate that it ranks among the best artisan soaps ever made. I also have a tub of Kodiak to try after Christmas.

everything I have read about M&M Kodiak base indicate that it ranks among the best artisan soaps ever made.
This rings true for me , really a great soap and the best out of my 45 or so. I still enjoy most of my
soaps and get a good shave with all of them and will continue to use them. I have CRSW, B&M, LongRifle,
GD, Lisa's,Zingari Man, several RazoRocks, etc. Zingari Man is very similar to the Kodiak base and in a blind shave I wouldn't be able to tell them apart.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have purchased a tub of T&S West Indies, but won't try it until after Christmas (my wife's rules). From other reviews I expect the performance to be excellent to outstanding, but T&S scents tend to be polarizing.

M&M Aon formula also falls into that excellent to outstanding performance level, so I expect T&S and M&M Aon would be similar in performance. However, everything I have read about M&M Kodiak base indicate that it ranks among the best artisan soaps ever made. I also have a tub of Kodiak to try after Christmas.
All that waiting is a killer ugh lol
Is the kodiak base with bear talloy?

All that waiting is a killer ugh lol
Is the kodiak base with bear talloy?

I have lots of great soaps, so delayed gratification is not a problem.

There are quite a few new soaps that have been released recently. Some I was able to get prior to Thanksgiving, so I have evaluated them (Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Wholly Kaw Siero, Zingari Man Sego). Others arrived after Thanksgiving and were delegated to the Christmas gift pile. One soap, Grooming Department Aion (Nai base) won't be shipped until next week. That is the one I plan to use for my Christmas Day shave, so I hope it shows up in time.

If the Aion does not arrive in time, I will use the Murphy and McNeil Nantahala, which is in the Kodiak base which includes bear tallow. I understand that the ingredients are limited in availability and are expensive, so it is likely to be used only for limited edition/seasonal scents.

Rhody

I'm a Lumberjack.
I have lots of great soaps, so delayed gratification is not a problem.

There are quite a few new soaps that have been released recently. Some I was able to get prior to Thanksgiving, so I have evaluated them (Declaration Grooming Milksteak, Wholly Kaw Siero, Zingari Man Sego). Others arrived after Thanksgiving and were delegated to the Christmas gift pile. One soap, Grooming Department Aion (Nai base) won't be shipped until next week. That is the one I plan to use for my Christmas Day shave, so I hope it shows up in time.

If the Aion does not arrive in time, I will use the Murphy and McNeil Nantahala, which is in the Kodiak base which includes bear tallow. I understand that the ingredients are limited in availability and are expensive, so it is likely to be used only for limited edition/seasonal scents.
thanks for the clarification on the base. You do have a nice soap collection to be sure .... I used the kodiak base just twice so far and - I think as you predicted in a prior response - I dont find a tremendous difference with that over the other base in M&m that I have.

I am trying my best to refrain from more purchasing of soap for a while although I am interested in the newer WKaw offerings. I have a trip upcoming to nyc after the holidays and I plan to hit Pasteurs!

happy shaves

is there any soap with the Kodiak base currently available to purchase? Want to try this brand.

The Kodiak base is a limited edition base. There were two releases of Nantahala in that base, but both sold out quickly. As stated previously, there are some sample packets available.

Ok, dumb question. Are these guys soap makers or the new eBay used soap reseller section? I used to be able to go to eBay and find a few guys selling some of their old soaps off by the box and get some random stuff pretty cheap, now EVERYTHING is being sold one by one by THESE GUYS. Is it a marketing game? They are BOTH retailer of used soap and maker of new soaps? And every order receives a sample of their new soap...

Ok, dumb question. Are these guys soap makers or the new eBay used soap reseller section? I used to be able to go to eBay and find a few guys selling some of their old soaps off by the box and get some random stuff pretty cheap, now EVERYTHING is being sold one by one by THESE GUYS. Is it a marketing game? They are BOTH retailer of used soap and maker of new soaps? And every order receives a sample of their new soap...

Murphy and McNeil is definitely an artisan who produces, markets and sells new soaps, including some of the best soaps currently available in the market. However, they also are leveraging their web site to sell both new and used products.

I suspect that part of what is happening is that Murphy and McNeil, in their research and development efforts, has purchased a lot of soaps from competing artisans to see how the competition performs. After using these soaps a few times, they are offering these slightly used soaps at a discount from what they paid in order to recoup some of their R&D costs.

However, they are also acting as a marketing arm on behalf of some other vendors. Unlike stockists who may expect a 50% discount on goods they stock on their shelves, Murphy and McNeil is only charging a 10% commission. This can be a help to some of the smaller artisans who do not want to maintain their own web site.

It seems they are also willing to purchase used hardware and software for resale. You might be able to sell directly to others through another web site or through the BST section of the forum, but then you have some additional hassle to deal with. Murphy and McNeil is offering a service for those who might want to take advantage of it.

I got 6 or 7 samples. Surprisingly all the scents were very pleasant. Slickness is fantastic. I am not sure post shave beats Tallow and Steel but I don’t know that I know how to compare post shave accurately anyways.

I’m impressed!

Top Bottom