What's new

Mühle R89 Grande - what’s your experience?

I recently trialed six DE razors against one another to evaluate my milder, safety bar razors with a blade I’d never used - the Derby Extra. The results showed that the best shaves, on my skin, were with the Edwin Jagger DE89, and the Mühle R89. I’m now in the process of a run-off between the three top scorers, (those two plus the King C Gillette) and the Derby blades on their second use, to see if they improve. I intend to do more comparisons soon, with the DE89 and R89, loaded with my more favoured blades such as Nacets, Gillette Yellows, Perma-sharps and others.

But I don’t own a Mühle R89! The one I used in the comparison is a lovely R89 Rosegold, and actually belongs to my wife! So I don’t think it’s fair to make more use of that one, and I should really get my own...(look, that’s my story and I’m sticking to it.)

Accordingly, today I ordered an R89 Grande. So fellow shaverists, do you have experience with this one? What can I look forward to?

Thanks in advance pals!

The ‘89’ is my favorite razor. Both the Edwin Jagger and the Muehle versions. I have not tried the Grande, considered it but have not pulled the trigger, have read the handle is longer and thicker than the standard Muhle 89. Will be very curious what users say about it.

The ‘89’ is my favorite razor. Both the Edwin Jagger and the Muehle versions. I have not tried the Grande, considered it but have not pulled the trigger, have read the handle is longer and thicker than the standard Muhle 89. Will be very curious what users say about it.
I considered the standard chrome handle, and really fancied the black handled one, but I decided on the Grande, on the basis that if it’s too fat, I can put an iKon handle on; and if I like it, I can always swap it with my tortoiseshell (R103) R41.

I've also got the standard R89 and it's been my default razor for the last decade. I find it more elegant than most of the other DEs out there, in an understated way. While the base metal gets no respect around here, it's a non issue for me, and Muhle's chrome plating is first rate. Quality chrome is more attractive to my eye than most stainless steel. If I'm to pick nits, I could wish for a little more grip on the handle. (Not sure if the texture is the same on the Grande though.)

It is among my milder DE razors with most blades. But a Kai or Feather blade wakes it up if at some point you want greater efficiency. I think you chose well, and will have a beautiful tool that functions extremely well.

Thanks chaps! It’s very useful to hear the first-hand views of users. It’ll be interesting to team a classic ‘mild’ razor with something like the Feather - I have 90+ in hand, so I’ll put them together, and compare it with the EJ DE89! @JackJ - I know what you mean about the Mühle quality - I bought my wife the Rosegold R89, and I have the R103, the R41 with the tortoiseshell handle. (Although I find the handle a bit light, and swap it for an iKon handle.)

My wife shook her head today when I said I’d ordered another razor - dunno what she meant by that. 🤔

Best not mention how many blades and soaps I have. She knows about the aftershaves...😱

I have been using the as-d2 for the last 4 months straight and by sheer coincidence I switched back to the r89 a few days ago and I must admit I really love the r89 (and clearly all its clones). Its a great balance between being mild but not too mild and its an easy 3 pass smooth as butter shave. At some point I want to buy the Rocca I love the Muhle r89 so much.

I realize you've asked the Grande question here but the just a thumbs up on the r89 in general!

I have been using the as-d2 for the last 4 months straight and by sheer coincidence I switched back to the r89 a few days ago and I must admit I really love the r89 (and clearly all its clones). Its a great balance between being mild but not too mild and its an easy 3 pass smooth as butter shave. At some point I want to buy the Rocca I love the Muhle r89 so much.

I realize you've asked the Grande question here but the just a thumbs up on the r89 in general!
Thanks @Avi ! I’m interested in general thoughts on the R89 too, so thanks for your input!

Reactions: Avi

I got the Rocca, it is a very different animal than the 89. Strongly suggest you read about it on the forum before you purchase. Like Edwin Jagger did with the 3ONE6, Muhle did with the Rocca both made a stainless steel razor much more aggressive than the ‘89’ they are famous for. Both are good razors but shave nothing like the ‘89’s they are famous for.

I agree with Atlantic59 - the handle on the 89 Grande seems a little light to me. I have used the Edwin Jagger DE89L in the past, and really liked it. The Muhle 89 Grande uses the same head as the EJ 89 (I believe), but the feel of the shave is different. The Grande feels a little top-heavy, despite the longer handle.

Having said that, it's certainly not a bad shave, just different that I was used to with the Edwin Jagger. I still have it in the rotation, but I've migrated more to the Razorock Game Changers lately. They seem to be better balanced in my opinion.

- Greenhouse.

Thanks for all your thoughts, gentlemen. I’m looking forward to giving it a run out with some of my favourite sharper blades!

Top Bottom