What's new

muehle-pinsel brushes

I just got my second brush.
A classic Muehle-Pinsel silvertip medium size (21 mm).
As I started to state that this is only my second brush (ever!) I don't have much to compare it with. But I do have another silvertip brush from shavemac and this MP BLOWS the Shavemac away!

Holds MUCH more water and stays warm for ever! Soft, but not to soft. No floppyness whatsoever.

I just can't understand how a bruh could get so much better than this one that it would warrant tripple or even quadruple the price.

I bought online from their website (which looks GREAT I must add) and had the brush in the mail three days later! 55 Euro. Fantastic!

How come there is not more talk of these brushes on B&B? Can't some of the journeyman wet shavers who are here and own an MP and some of the english brushes write an informed review? I am a newbie and don't have the knowledge and sufficient references.
Seems unfair that this brand receives so little attention...

Hey Wolverine,

I'm, too, very happy with my el cheapo Mühle-Pinsel brush. It's was (still is) on sale @ M-P's site, 15$/12€.

The fact that I'm happy with it, has no comparative value, since it is my very first shaving brush -- badger or non-badger. I only started to dabble with real wet shaving couple of weeks ago.

I guess it's not the softest brush, but it isn't scratchy either. I have had no trouble making lather with it (Proraso cream in a mug). It shed a few hairs on its first rounds, but that's it. The shipping was fast and packing very good, I would certainly deal with M-P again in the future. Perhaps their well designed and stylish site gives them an extra credit in my view, since designing websites is my livelyhood at the moment....

A pic of the brush after two weeks of use:

attachment.php

Cheers!

I have three Mühle brushes in use/rotation:
Two with normally grey badger hair, knotsize 18mm and a silvertip, knotsize 22mm with a Shavemac oakwood-handle.
The silvertip is a bit too softly and I think I'll sell it...(so if there is anyone interested in, send me a PM)...

Thomas

jarvis400 said:
Hey Wolverine,

I'm, too, very happy with my el cheapo Mühle-Pinsel brush. It's was (still is) on sale @ M-P's site, 15$/12€.

The fact that I'm happy with it, has no comparative value, since it is my very first shaving brush -- badger or non-badger. I only started to dabble with real wet shaving couple of weeks ago.

I guess it's not the softest brush, but it isn't scratchy either. I have had no trouble making lather with it (Proraso cream in a mug). It shed a few hairs on its first rounds, but that's it. The shipping was fast and packing very good, I would certainly deal with M-P again in the future. Perhaps their well designed and stylish site gives them an extra credit in my view, since designing websites is my livelyhood at the moment....

A pic of the brush after two weeks of use:

attachment.php

Cheers!

Hey it's a beaut :smile:
Have you tried to clean the brush with a few drops of soap? I found that my brush would perform much better after a good soaking in really hot water and a nice soaping!

So would you guys recommend against going with the silvertip MP brush? I was thinking about getting their Nickel Horn Silvertip Brush in 23mm. I currently have AOS Best Badger brush and like it a lot - but would like to have a brush as firm with a little softer tips.

Otherwise, I'm glad you like your cheap brush, I was thinking of picking up this one for my cousin:

proxy.php

Depends on what you are willing to sacrifice. If you are a cream user, it's only the extra money you're sacrificing. If you are a hard soap user, you'll have to sacrifice extra work as well.
I jumped from boar straight to MP silver tip classic 19 mm, since I don't have much beard. But I found it dissappointed compared to my latest pure badger brush: tweezerman. Tweezerman outperformed my MP silvertip, this is where the soft tips turns your back on you. You need to work harder to load hard soap into the brush. But once it's loaded it'll work just as well as and softer to the face.

I have three M_P brushes, two fine badger and one silver tipped and they all work fine. I think that their fine badger brush is the best compromise (its performance lies between pure badger and silver tip, when it comes to exfoliating effect, softness and lather producing effect). The fine badger is perhaps closer to a silver tip then it is to a pure badger brush and is quite soft. Looking at them a fine badger can be mistaken for a silver tip. Just judge for yourselves here.

Just ordered my second M_P brush from Germany. This time I splashed out on a silver tipped badger with a mock white ivory handle (47 Euro). I have a pure badger brush from the same company and like it very much. Boy this is turning out to a bad, chronic disease (I mean a bad habbit and an expensive one too). I'll have to hide it from my wife when the parcels arrive!

...hey man ...try being addicted to watches

When I first got into west shaving I bought a shaving set from M-P, and have not been disappointed. I was surprised when I first came to this site to not see any product reviews, and barely any mention of M-P.

I also enjoy their soaps, especially the sandalwood and aloe. But, I won't be ordering their ocean algae scent again.

My intro to wet shaving was a little over a month ago when my wife gave me a Muehle-Pinsel set from a little shop nearby in Southern Pines, NC. It is best badger imitation horn with nickel plating. It came with a stand and M3 razor handle, along with a matching nickel bowl. I love the brush. I think it shed about three hairs at first but nothing since. It is soft but not floppy and produces great lather from soaps (all I've ever used). All the M-P's I've seen are beautiful brushes.

I also enjoy their soaps, especially the sandalwood and aloe. But, I won't be ordering their ocean algae scent again.

I love the scent of their Oakmoss and Mint with Aloe soap. Have you tried that one? A nice, clean fragrance.

I recently got an insane deal on the Buffalo Horn model (#091B258) pictured above. I can't say how impressed I am with this little brush. Densely packed, soft, and firm. Fantastic for soaps. I've yet to try it with creams.

I have two Muehle brushes in use (and I have used two more in the past).

The small silvertip 19mm knot is dense and soft, best with mild-soft soaps, but also excellent with cream. It is sold for $44.88!
The large one is a finest badger 23mm knot, rich and dense, almost as soft as the silvertip. It works excellent with any cream. I find it's too big for soap. It's my favorite.
I bought it two years ago, as a special offer, for 25 euros or so, if I remember well... A steal...

My current third is a Gentleman's Shop Best Badger 22mm knot, made by Vulfix (Nr 2198). It costs 35 pounds, about 55 euros. It is a fine brush, soft and dense, but it is not superior to the inexpensive Muehles.

I have also used a fine badger Muehle, 21mm knot, low budget (about $30). Excellent value for money.

A 21mm Pure Badger is dense but not so soft. It suits to soap. (price: $24).

All in all:
I have no experience of Shavemac, Simpson, Rooney brushes, so I cannot compare Muehle with those top but much more expensive contenders.
To my narrow experience though, Muehles are top quality brushes, with a wide range of products, at affordable price.

How sweet is this! I wish I could read German!:biggrin:

send me the page and I'll translate it for you.
Else, there are German members on this site too (and if all i've read on the other forums is true, then the Germans know how to make their equipment :smile:).

Just got an MP 91K257. Still have to try it though. I'll be back tomorrow to let you know how it went.

I've been using the brush below for several months now, and I love it. I've never owned any brush but an M-P (but that's not really saying much as I've only had two brushes) but reading this thread has revived my SBAD. I'm trying to hold out for the B&B Essential, but not sure I'll make it. I recently went to the Crabtree and Evelyn in Cincinnati and looked at their popular brush (the best or pure?) but was unimpressed. After becoming accustomed to the heft of my M-P, the C&E felt flimsy.

proxy.php

Top Bottom