What's new

muehle-pinsel brushes

I've been using the brush below for several months now, and I love it. I've never owned any brush but an M-P (but that's not really saying much as I've only had two brushes) but reading this thread has revived my SBAD. I'm trying to hold out for the B&B Essential, but not sure I'll make it. I recently went to the Crabtree and Evelyn in Cincinnati and looked at their popular brush (the best or pure?) but was unimpressed. After becoming accustomed to the heft of my M-P, the C&E felt flimsy.

proxy.php

That's a gorgeous brush. Do Muhle make their own brushes? There is mention of a tie-in with Edwin Jagger, and those brushes do look a fair bit like Shavemacs.

Cheers

Jeremy

BTW. I purchase a Kent BLK4 recently. While the brush is superb, the handle is a bit disappointing - just lightweight, hollow plastic. Are the handles on the Muhle any better?

Cheers

Jeremy

My first - and so far favorite - is a badger M-P. I love it! Just picked up a Shavemac 501 and it's pretty nice too, but my M-P is the go-to!

BTW. I purchase a Kent BLK4 recently. While the brush is superb, the handle is a bit disappointing - just lightweight, hollow plastic. Are the handles on the Muhle any better?

Cheers

Jeremy

I think the handles of M-P brushes are hit or miss. I bought an M-P for my dad and the handle was very light, hollow plastic. I think the brush I got was the exception to the rule, which is good because I need some heft in my handle.

I really don't know anything about the different brush companies. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the possible connection between M-P and E-J or Shavemac.

I think the handles of M-P brushes are hit or miss. I bought an M-P for my dad and the handle was very light, hollow plastic. I think the brush I got was the exception to the rule, which is good because I need some heft in my handle.

Thanks for that. The lightweight handle really detracts away from the luxury of the brush and it's a mistake I don't want to repeat.

Cheers

Jeremy

Today I've tried my MP for the first time. A tremendous improvement when I look back on the time when I used a €5 Wilkinson boar brush.

I would like to post a little request here towards the more experienced shavers: could you post a review for some of the MP brushes? Or a comparisson to other brushes (eg C&E best)?
I haven't got the experience (yet :wink:) to tell others how it compares to other brushes and how "well" it works. I can only say that, to me, it is worth every euro spend on it ...
and my small number of posts doesn't add a lot of weight to my opinion.:blushing:

snip
I would like to post a little request here towards the more experienced shavers: could you post a review for some of the MP brushes? Or a comparisson to other brushes (eg C&E best)? snip

I wish I could sit down and write a good review for my brush, but I've only tried one other brush and it was also an M-P. So, comparing really isn't my domain. But, as you said, I consider it to be worth every penny.

-Karl

My only regret is that I have but one face to shave.

You can always start as a barber :wink:
My great-grandfather used to do that: he was a mailman and while delivering the mail he stopped at a few houses for those who wanted a shave. So you can do it in you spare time

You can always start as a barber :wink:
My great-grandfather used to do that: he was a mailman and while delivering the mail he stopped at a few houses for those who wanted a shave. So you can do it in you spare time

That's a bit of a twist on the postman's motto: "Neither rain, nor sleet, nor gloom of night nor hedgerows of stubborn stubble will keep me from my appointed rounds." A great story. Where did your great-grandfather grow up?

MUEHLE is a independent and in the 3rd generation family owned company. Yes, they produce the brush heads and many handles themself. It's possible to visit the production line. On their website you will find many background informations about the history.

They have published their new catalog at www.muehle-shaving.com/trade (PDF). The low budget plastic handles (boar and badger) are now branded "hjm".

MUEHLE introduce march 2008 a new own skin care range… more information you will find in the catalog.

I really don't know anything about the different brush companies. Hopefully someone else can shed some light on the possible connection between M-P and E-J or Shavemac.

Hmmm.... Well, Shavemac is its own little company. Shavemac almost certainly makes Savile Row Silvertip brushes, but that's another story. There is no connection to M-P or E-J, I am pretty sure. There is a connection between Muehle and E-J, though. I am not sure the extent. It might just be combined hair sourcing, or one may actually make the knots for the other. I'm not really sure. But there is definitely some connection.

-Mo

They have published their new catalog at www.muehle-shaving.com/trade (PDF). The low budget plastic handles (boar and badger) are now branded "hjm". MUEHLE introduce march 2008 a new own skin care range… more information you will find in the catalog.

That is a fantastic catlogue, extremely professional and beautifully photographed. Thank you for posting it.

Here's the URL for shopping from their store online:

M-P store

I'm not a big fan of the lightbulb shape, but their products certainly give Shavemac a run in terms of esthetics.

There is a connection between Muehle and E-J, though. I am not sure the extent. It might just be combined hair sourcing, or one may actually make the knots for the other. I'm not really sure. But there is definitely some connection.
Muhle makes the knots for EJ. It was in one of those newsletters Muhle makes.

I picked up a Mühle brush recently from Merz on Lincoln in Chicago, and I like it a lot. It can coax a great lather out of Williams mug soap, and it's even better with Proraso or Musgo Real cream. It's little, but soft. Set me back $45.

Merz had a range of Mühle brushes to play with, ranging from about $25 to $140. The advantage of picking out a brush in person (rather than over the intarwub) is that you get to fondle it before you take it home.

Picture is from the Mühle catalog.

I got a best badger with bog oak handle a few weeks ago now. I was really dismayed with it initially. I found it too soft and too floppy. I have to say it has grown on me. In the space of a few weeks I went from a synthetic brush and cream to a badger brush and hard soap. I'm still getting used to lathering the soap, I have yet to produce great mugs loads of foam as seen in some pics here but I am progressing.

There was a slight smell from the brush initially so I washed it with some hand soap, no more smell. It has lost only a handful of bristles since day one but that was to be expected. My old synthetic had been loosing a few each shave.I have grown to like the feeling of the soft bristles and warm lather, something I didn't get from hand or face lathering. The brush is a little floppy but it has grown on me. At €42 it was a good price from the options available to me. My only criticism is that the handle feels so light, even with the metal collar. From bog oak that I have seen in the past I expected it to be a heavier more dense wood. It is, however, a keeper and for the time being I see no need to look for another brush. I have one brush, one razor, one soap, and am still trying out blades and maybe a cream or two. :blush: Not a typical B&B member at all am I?

Top Bottom