What's new

Mr Bingle's 2018 Reindeer&Sleigh Gift Exchange

26F58A35-335E-4485-9661-C7B8F0A8F75A.jpeg

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Question from an Australian. This time of year we get all the Christmas Movies from past and present showing on the television. The majority are American movies/shows with plenty of snow and of course cold weather. In these movies/shows there is just about always a group of people traveling around a street or suburb singing Christmas Carols. Does this actually occur or is it just for television?

It does happen, but less often as years go by. A few people I know that do it, some family, belong to choral groups. They go to their own neighborhood, and places like the veterans hospital and care centers. The only group I know that goes to random neighborhoods is a local youth group. They get together each year have pizza, take some hot beverages and off they go! I personally have not. The noun would be carolers, verb caroling, lol.:)

Question from an Australian. This time of year we get all the Christmas Movies from past and present showing on the television. The majority are American movies/shows with plenty of snow and of course cold weather. In these movies/shows there is just about always a group of people traveling around a street or suburb singing Christmas Carols. Does this actually occur or is it just for television?

It’s pretty rare, I think. When I was in grade school my church group went caroling to the older church members houses because were weren’t able to make it to church anymore. They were surprised and enjoyed it.
Besides that, I’ve never seen it outside the movies.

Mr Bingle's Sleigher list

1. @Canadian Mountain Man *
2. @Rory1262 *
3. @Luecke2326
4. @Davidkimberly * ✓
5. @sliwolf * ✓
6. @bobmsp *
7. @Demaskee *
8. @syngent *
9. @Rrose Sélavy
10. @ShaverGN *
11. @ED3054 *
12. @Grundi
13. @SoullessSingularity
14. @AZBronco * ✓
15. @Villalobos * ✓
16. @Heckle * ✓
17. @JMG021283 *
18. @rhtoras *
19. @RealPretendPsychic
20. @kevdogg329 *
21. @Frozenshades *
22. @Ryanshh * ✓
23. @barko78 *
24. @igasho * ✓

I hope I didn't miss anyone.

* Tracking number received
✓ Gift under the tree

Last edited:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member

I remember in the early 1970's church choirs going caroling. Each neighborhood had a church, each church a choir. The choir for a church would go caroling around the neighborhood accepting donations for their church.

Back then Christmas was a big deal around here. I remember my parents taking us downtown to see the store displays. They were really something too. The bigger stores especially, Simpsons(Sears), Eatons, The Hudson Bay Company, all had huge front windows. In those windows they'd set up large, intricate, mechanically animated scenes like below. It was like going to a carnival or something, an impressive display.

ilpdg-1481059584-embed-01.jpg

Then the big malls started popping up with 300+ stores in them on the edge of the city and people stopped going downtown so all of that ended here. Its a shame.

Now, downtown here is pretty much limited to a few dangling lights on the streetlight poles and our biggest event is the lighting of the lights in Victoria Park, which I didnt even hear about on the news this year.

LightingoftheLightsnew.jpg

Winter Wonderland - Lights in Victoria Park

5FF20052-E6B5-47BD-8CFC-A20BB3FA8D7B.jpeg

I’m back home so here’s my photo. My wife says she’s going to wrap the contents. You will also notice it’s still the only thing under the tree!

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
When I lived in Melbourne back in the 1980's and early 1990's people used to travel far and wide to visit Myers Christmas display in Bourke Street. Much like @Esox has shown with his photo's of shop displays. I am guessing it is the same today. I live in a different state today so I really have no idea.

93F11555-3C78-45AF-B7DD-4D293CF73A7E.jpeg

My gifts are arrived and are wrapped under the tree. I have a few more to wrap and then a photo will follow. In the meantime, the presents are well protected.

Mr Bingle's Sleigher list

1. @Canadian Mountain Man *
2. @Rory1262 *
3. @Luecke2326
4. @Davidkimberly * ✓
5. @sliwolf * ✓
6. @bobmsp * ✓
7. @Demaskee *
8. @syngent *
9. @Rrose Sélavy *
10. @ShaverGN *
11. @ED3054 *