What's new

Moving to Texas....any advice?....

Just remember a few things:
1. Texans are always "fixin' to do" somethin'
2. The reason everyone is so friendly is because everyone is carrying a gun!
3. On the back roads, the reason the guy in front of you is pulling over is not because he has a problem, he's letting you by.......

Welcome to Texas. I wasn't born here, but I got here as fast as I could! :smile:

I'm actually quite happy that Texas honors Washington state concealed carry licenses. That's one less thing I'll have to do when I get there.

My sentiments exactly. I've traveled around the state of Texas a fair bit in the ten or so years that I've lived here, and I haven't seen a single place outside of the Austin metro area where I'd want to live for any length of time.

Big Bend is great to visit - if I lived closer, I'd go often.

Coming from somewhere that actually has water and vegetation (and a reasonable climate), you're in for a rude awakening...

My wife has a cousin that lives in Austin....I'm definitely looking forward to visiting there....the fishing is pretty good around there, so that's reason enough for me :001_smile

When I lived in Central Washington it was pretty darn arid, but there were still lots of trees...I do look forward to the open sky and the stars at night though.

Ok...the reason I will be moving is the First Baptist Church in Rankin is calling me to be their next pastor.

Presto!

View attachment 73476

The (slightly) ironic thing is that every inch of street in Rankin has been photographed by Google street view but there's virtually nothing of our suburb of 42,000.

- Chris

Last edited:
echo a few things. if you like to fish i am sure you could learn to like hunting, pretty well accepted hobby in most of texas especially when you get out of the bigger cities. the desert like areas of texas keep an eye out of rattle snakes, scorpions, black widows and if it is a bit farther south killer bees (note that last one is not all that prevalent in most areas). if you get a chance to get on a hunting lease even if you do not want to hunt it is a great experience to see the local wildlife, bring a camera because no one will believe some of the stuff you will see.

buy a BBQ pit then learn to relax and enjoy the views.

I'm looking forward to the bird hunting for sure. I will have to get used to all the deadly critters though....all we have in Washington is mold:001_tongu

I just checked out the Lucchese...look like really nice boots. I've been fixin to get me some (did that sound right?), but I'll have to get them really wide...cowboy boots kill my feet if they aren't wide enough.

As far as the Yankee gear.....I'd sooner loose my eyeteeth than my Yankee gear!

Saying "I'm fix'n to" do something eliminates the need for "have been". Fwiw, the lucchese boots are extremely comfortable (unreal). Get them to fit, or they will be uncomfortable. If possible, get measured and have them made to fit exactly (it took about 5 months to get 'em in, but mine are incredible). The pair that I bought off the rack are really nice too, but not quite as luxurious. Trust me :wink:

Last edited:
Saying "I'm fix'n to" do something eliminates the need for "have been". Fwiw, the lucchese boots are extremely comfortable (unreal). Get them to fit, or they will be uncomfortable. If possible, get measured and have them made to fit exactly (it took about 5 months to get 'em in, buy mine are incredible). The pair that I bought off the rack are really nice too, but not quite as luxurious. Trust me :wink:

Matt

This may help put fix'n in context....

Paul

I was fix'n to correct his use of fix'n....but you beat me to it as I was fix'n to reply.

Howdy Matt,

First, congratulations on your calling! I lived in rural Texas back when I was a "kid" in my late 20s, and I can testify to the wonderful openness towards me, my wife, and our children by our fellow congregants at the local Baptist church! You will have a special relationship with your congregation.

Now, regarding the country. At various time,I had business interests in the Big Lake, Texon, and Sterling City areas. The topography of the country is different, but, once you get over the shock, you'll discover that it's beautiful. You're relatively close to a "big city" - Fort Stockton - so you'll have access to the finer things in life, like Mickey D's, etc. The people are great, and the pace is slightly different than that of the major metropolitan areas. There's a definite Hispanic influence on everything - which is to be expected, since this area has such strong ties with Mexico. Before 9/11, the border was almost completely open along the sparsely populated areas of the Rio Grande, so people traveled back and forth between the U.S. and Mexico pretty freely.

You've not only got Big Bend National Park (IMHO, one of the most impressive of our National Parks, and I've been to almost all the "major" ones) to look forward to, but there are many wonderful smaller communities nearby. Marathon is the first that comes to mind, with the great Gage Hotel and the equally impressive (in it's own way) Marathon Motel just a few blocks west of the Gage.

I could wax enthusiastic for several more paragraphs, but I'll summarize by saying "Welcome to Texas!"

you should head north east. There are a lot of trees, but being fluent in Spanish is still helpful. BTW, do you know Ambrose? I'm assuming you do since you're right next to each other... Just curious

I've never met Ambrose, but we've had lots of PM conversations and he's offered me his help should I ever decide to switch to straight razors. He's a real nice guy, and I think he's an example of the kind of awesome people you tend to meet in TX.

I'm actually quite happy that Texas honors Washington state concealed carry licenses. That's one less thing I'll have to do when I get there.

That sentiment alone will make you welcome there. Where I live too.

I live in Kansas which other than the Eastern 1/5th of the state is much like Tejas except our summers usually don't last eleven months per year! Well sometimes but rarely. Yeah, the western/panhandle parts of Texas are uh...somewhat semi-unoccupied. I could never live any further south than I am right now(just outside Kansas City). I have to have fall and winter. Heat and me are not the best of friends. What will strike you as odd is driving across our vast expanses in the great American Serengeti. Better known as the high plains that run from Northern Texas up through the Dakotas. You will be driving along thinking; "is there anyone alive out here?" And then all of a sudden, a town or city pops up out of nowhere. It was like that the first time I went through the Texas panhandle with my parents. Nothing, nothing, nothing...bam! There was Amarillo. It is a bit hard to adjust to at times. Though there is a very rugged, raw beauty to the high plains that is hard to gauge till you live there awhile. Best of luck and bless you for answering the Call.

Regards, Todd

I just checked out the Lucchese...look like really nice boots. I've been fixin to get me some (did that sound right?), but I'll have to get them really wide...cowboy boots kill my feet if they aren't wide enough.

As far as the Yankee gear.....I'd sooner loose my eyeteeth than my Yankee gear!

Lucchese makes a nice boot. But to get a pair that truly fits, try some of the custom makers. Look for some of Tyler Beard's books on boots -- coffeetable style, but with many of the best makers featured -- or google "cowboy boots" and "Texas Monthly" magazine for suggestions.

Now, you can spend big money for exotic leathers and inlays and stuff. But you can also get a fits-like-a-glove pair made of calf or kangaroo at more reasonable cost.

I suspect members of your congregation would have some suggestions.

The (slightly) ironic thing is that every inch of street in Rankin has been photographed by Google street view but there's virtually nothing of our suburb of 42,000.

- Chris

I've been to (through, actually) your lovely suburb before. I have family in Livonia and we pass through your neighborhood on our way to my favorite Detroit area golf course, Shenandoah.

I've been to (through, actually) your lovely suburb before. I have family in Livonia and we pass through your neighborhood on our way to my favorite Detroit area golf course, Shenandoah.

That's a very nice comment.

I checked in after I made that statement and they've added many of the mile roads now, but have stayed out of the subdivisions. Got a nice shot of a fresh car wreck near the entrance to our sub. :smile:

- Chris

Top Bottom