What's new

Most Over-rated Cream/Soap

Cyril Salter Rose. I thought this stuff would be amazing, and instead it's gross. It lathers fine, but then again, so does toothpaste.

Bruno, Viva Arko for sure! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: However, I just shaved with a soap this morning that's on the same level---Erasmic from the UK.

Jeff

G.F. Trumpers Violet ain't all that.

And all the love that Proraso gets you'd think it was a cure for Rickets. :wink:

jduffy said:
G.F. Trumpers Violet ain't all that.

And all the love that Proraso gets you'd think it was a cure for Rickets. :wink:

I use Proraso and I don't have the Rickets and I haven't gotten them a single time... so I don't know if it cures 'em, but it obviously prevents them!:biggrin:

Overrated to me generally applies to very high and very low priced items and the voices of the masses who profess the overiding qualities and features of these items.

That being said, I feel that most of the perfume house shaving creams are overrated based on price and that most of the cheap brands are overrated based on characteristics that fail to make them unique.

-joedy

My opinion? Taylors. Sure it is cheaper than Trumper and some of the other creams, but it just isn't the amazing stuff (IMHO) that it is sometimes made out to be. Others perform great, but then charge IMHO an obscene amount for the opportunity (like Castle Forbes-love the stuff, but WOW its expensive)
John P.

JohnP said:
My opinion? Taylors. Sure it is cheaper than Trumper and some of the other creams, but it just isn't the amazing stuff (IMHO) that it is sometimes made out to be. Others perform great, but then charge IMHO an obscene amount for the opportunity (like Castle Forbes-love the stuff, but WOW its expensive)
John P.

Blasphemer!

Randy

russellnyc said:
Cyril Salter Rose. I thought this stuff would be amazing, and instead it's gross. It lathers fine, but then again, so does toothpaste.
I second that. I’m very much into floral scents and the Salter rose cream is absolutely repulsive. It smells like rubber mixed with rose, although I concede it provides a good lather. I ordered a tub of Trumper Rose in order to compare them.

I will offer another vote for the Taylors line. At first I really enjoyed a number of their creams but after a couple of uses I realized that they just did not work well with my face. The only one I still have is Avocado and while it is decent I certainly do not feel it is the be-all-end-all that many profess.

I will also toss in a vote for Proraso "Red". The scent is repulsive.

Ah, I wouldn't worry. We all have our like and dislikes, there are several creams and soaps I don't care for either. I haven't tried Mama Bear, and I can't justify spending any more on/using space up for more soap/creams right now. Besides, there are other things I blow my money on, like that 250 dollar olive colored Ralph Lauren sportcoat I saw today...

Anyway, Mama Bear is on my list to get, but I still haven't finished my tube of Proraso, the first thing I got a year ago when I got into wetshaving, my 'rotation' is so big. So it might be a little while ;)

John,

I was using my Avocado tonight, which was one of the first creams I purchased. It's nowhere near empty. Using up products first before buying items is no excuse. Making sure that you have a decade supply is!

Randy

LOL Randy...I don't know if you remember, but you sent me a sample vial from that very tub of Avocado you have, then. Also some Floris. I still want more stuff to try of course, but my shaving drawer runneth over!

Top Bottom