What's new

Modern May, 2023

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Guess I started a couple of days early..... ;)

Modern May 2023
Razor: @Blackland Razors Ti Vector SB (@Rosseforp GTC 25G Handle)
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (4)
Brush: Wild West Brushworks Volcanic Ash (TNS 26mm Original BOSS Fan)
Lather: Canada Shave Soap
Aftershave: Pinaud Clubman Lilac Vegetal
20230429_213817~2.jpg

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12223312

Phoenixkh

I shaved a fortune
Guess I started a couple of days early..... ;)

Modern May 2023
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (4)
View attachment 1646628
Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12223312
I continue to smile every time you post a photo of your favorite razor. I’ll bet you are smiling too, from the moment you make the selection all the way through your shave and beyond.

I am really not sure if I should start early with modern or not. In a way I do with a new razor for me that has just been sitting here and not used. Yea I will for sure, I want to, I shaved many a times with vintages and moderns so yea I will. I want to try out the KCG on what I didn't know was around, a King C Gillette weekend so yea, always finding out more stuff.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Modern May 2023
Blade: Kai Captain Titan Mild Protouch MG (5)
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
20230429_213817~2.jpg

Please visit my Journal (link below) for shave notes and musings: never-stop-learning's Quest for Knowledge - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/never-stop-learnings-quest-for-knowledge.611194/post-12224410

Modern May 2023

Razor: King C Gillette

Blade: King C (1)
Preshave: PAA The Cube
Soap: Meštar Bagulina
Aftershave: Custom made "Old Spice Fresh" is the name given for this splash, Meštar Bagulina Aftershave Balm (on neck area, more prone to irritation and 10 minutes after using splash on face)

This is my first time using this razor and yea its really mild to say the least. It was a good shave, the razor has good balance, the grip was no problem with the handle, length of the handle was good, weight was nice but wow its mild. When I say mild I mean when I first put the blade in I was like "Wow that is one small blade gap and mild blade exposure". I was thinking it would be a rough shave, take too many passes and I would either have very irritated skin or would have to change razors. No didn't happen, I was able to get thru it.

The soap of course and aftershave I really like, I have every time I have used Meštar for myself. The custom "Old Spice Fresh" aftershave I got was really nice, complemented well the the post shave lotion. The aftershave feel was really nice and refreshing.

Overall, terrific shave on 5 days growth, very happy, no cuts, weepers, nick, irritation. This was a WTG, WTG with touch ups, ATG and ATG touch ups a bit and I got a DFS+, very happy with it considering how mild the razor was.

20230430_194558.jpg

Modern May '23

Cream: Barbasol 1919
Razor/Blade:
Face/Neck/Head - Blackbird Ti w/ Personna Lab
Alum: Omega stick
Aftershave:
Face/Neck - DIY Snake Bite
Head/Neck - Nivea Sensitive
full

10/10

Different. Starting off Modern May with the newest razor I've acquired just last week. The Blackbird Ti. I have a lot of thoughts here on this razor so sorry for the wall of text. To sum it up quick, very nice shave today with a very good razor. No weepers and only minor irritation on the neck.

Thoughts:
Light weight but not in a bad way. That was nice when shaving the head.

The handle was grippy which the bead blasted santin finish may help out most here. I plan to try this handle paired with a lot of other heads too.

I really like that there is a tiny bit of blade tab exposure. I don't know why people want the tabs completely covered. Makes for a bulkier head and having the tabs exposed helps to remove the blade.

The blade exposure is positive. I knew that buying the razor. I personally am not a fan of positive or negative blade exposure. I like neutral. This reminded me most of my Charcoal Goods Gen 2 Level 2 but seemed to not be as harsh. I only got some minor irritation on the neck with the Blackbird which is a good thing. Especially for the first time using this razor. I did get a nice close shave with no nicks, cuts, or weepers.

Using this razor I found there's a very narrow angle that the razor really likes to shave in. I kept losing that angle on the head. Just need more shaving time with the razor to get used to it. No biggy.

This razor is absolutely perfect for someone wanting a light weight, low profile head, positive blade feel, and efficient razor. Now I'm curious in the Light baseplate version.

Last edited:
Modern Monday shave

Razor: Henson AL13 +++, V2
Blade: Gillette Nacet (new)
Soap: ARKO!
Brush: Omega 10066 Boar
Post Shave: Omega alum block, Thayers Witch Hazel
Aftershave: Mennen Skin Bracer

This was an excellent shave. Three passes: WTG, XTG, ATG. No weepers, nicks, cuts or irritation. The Henson +++ is one of my favorite razors.

9.75/10

Have a great week and great shaves, too!

Got a lot going on right now and almost forgot to post for the first day of modern May.

Razor: Blackland Vector
Blade: Feather Pro Guard
Lather: Gillette Pure
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Barber
Aftershave: Epsilon Blue Mediterranean

Sorry, no picture today.

Modern May, mild-medium 'Merica Monday -

Razor: WSC/Yates 'Merica
Blade: Lord Super Stainless (2)
Pre-shave: Razor Emporium pre-shave soap
Lather: RE February 2023 Arizona shave meet-up soap
Aftershave: Nivea Sensitive Cool balm
Splash: Rex Supply Co. 1955

Modern May started well! For me, the 'Merica is a mild-to-medium "daily driver" kind of razor.

Top Bottom