What's new

Milkcrate's Musings

thombrogan

Lounging On The Isle Of Tugsley.
You could’ve gotten away with it. Weck used to sell a strop for their safety razors and there’s the Valet Auto-Strop…

C03F0C5C-FAF8-4A5A-BF28-6C8658C7167A.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 457 SE: 9 SR: 609)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain Vanilla
Scuttle: PAA Brush Warmer
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Solingen SR
Blade: none
Brush: Graydog Boar
Soap: Stirling Alighieri

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Stirling Alighieri

EDE41B37-F12F-4D9E-9199-0210728ABCEA.jpeg

Saturday shave
Shave Count (DE: 458 SE: 9 SR: 610)

Pre Shave-
Strop: none
Scuttle: none
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: RR Mamba
Blade: Feather
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Badger
Soap: PAA AA Bay Rum

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: PAA AA Bay Rum

The Process-
Early morning shave ... yuck. Not the shave, but the time of day. Had a scheduled fishing trip, to pre-fish a lake, for an upcoming bass tournament. Since I would be on the water, Bay Rum sounded like the right call. And I needed a quick shave, since I struggle with early mornings. With that, I broke out the Mamba, which is the only modern DE that I own. That was a very nice shave!

5C039984-C896-4BA5-90B7-2B71A91B6745.jpeg

Today’s shave
Shave Count (DE: 458 SE: 9 SR: 611)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Hayashi Diamond SR
Brush: Knothead Boar
Soap: Homemade soap (not mine)

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Deep Woods AS

The Process-
Today was a nice late morning shave ... that’s what I’m talking about. On deck was a homemade soap that I received in a PIF. It had a soft scent and I cannot describe it at all, but it was nice. Luckily I had a wooden bowl to put it in.

For me, a soap has to work well with an SR. I did bloom the soap while my brush was soaking in warm water too. Stropped the razor with 10 laps on cotton and 40 laps on leather. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. The lather was nice, and bilt up quickly. It was not as heavy feeling as some super fatted soaps. To me, the lather was light but dense and was very similar to The Fat (and that’s a good thing). It has good slickness and residual slickness too. After a pass with the razor, the slickness was still there. The scent was light on the puck and I lost it during the shave. That’s not a problem and allows for unlimited AS options. I ran this Lather a bit wet and it didn’t slow this soap down or give any hint of breaking down. That was an outstanding shave and I am BBS for the win! The soap also rinses clean with little effort.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. A splash of the AS and everything was right as rain! I haven’t used Deep Woods in a while, so that was a nice change up. The post shave feel was very nice as well. I would buy this soap, I liked it that much.

I have started gathering the equipment to make my own shaving soap. I would like to make both bath soaps and shaving soaps for personal use and for gifts. I hope as I start researching formulas, I can find something similar to this soap. It’s that good. Life is good!

96A77146-1B4E-4DC1-B8C0-1ADC34A90A85.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 611)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Brush: RR 400 synth
Soap: Haslinger Marigold

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: CF GTB AS

The Process-
Hit snooze too many times and had to grab a DE. No worries, the Mamba was loaded with a Feather. I think I’m going to bang on this Haslinger for a bit. It’s about 1/2 a puck and I can use the mug for another soap ... so.

I’m digging the Haslinger too and it may have a place in the rotation. Three easy peasy passes and I am BBS for the win! Forgot that the GTB will give you a menthol punch in the face ... that will wake you up. Life is good!

4DF29B15-0BDA-45D6-96F1-73424D1B8077.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 612)

Pre Shave-
Strop: Tony Miller Plain Strop
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: H. Diamond SR

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: CF GTB AS

The Process-
A very nice shave this morning. I did keep the same software, but changed out the hardware. I am trying to finish up this soap and use the Graydog, with the new knot, to get it broke in by using it. So you may see this brush a bit more in the near future. Today it did a great job with a soak in warm water. The tips are already soft and the splay is nice, with very little usage. I just have one more brush I would like to add to my collection, sometime in the future, and I will be set. Life is good!

BCDB142E-58B4-4059-A1BF-E9B0023D47FB.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 615)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Waterville SR

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Proraso Red AS

The Process-
Very nice late morning shave today. Kept the same kit, except for the aftershave. When I started working on this puck, I thought it was about a half. It may have been smaller than that because I am burning through it at a pretty good pace. The brush is doing great, with the tips and splay coming along nicely. This Shave Forge knot is a steal at $5. Today was the first day that it didn’t shed.

10 laps on cotton and 40 on leather to get me going. I went with my standard three passes of WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. That was a very nice, relaxing shave and I am BBS for the win! Yeah baby! I’ll take those all week long please. I may have hate loaded a smidge, so I had plenty for a post shave lather.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and pat dry. Followed that up with a splash of the aftershave and everything was right as rain! Really enjoying these shaves. Very nice performance and I get to mix up the aftershaves too. I haven’t tried it yet, but I also have a tin if the Haslinger Honey. I have that in my dopp bag and expect it to last a long time. Life is good!

Home Front-
Almost forgot to mention that today is my day off. Not much planned, but I am at the vet with the bulldog. Her skin allergies are acting up again, so she gets a couple of shots. Will probably have to bring the horses up here as well. The up and down weather is giving them snotty noses. I think that’s all I have at the moment.

Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 616)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

The Process-
Another very nice shave again today. I know I have mentioned that the soap performance is very good. I am also digging the aftershave options that it opens up. Stayed with the Proraso Red and I am going to have to try the super formula. I enjoyed the last tub, so I am curious about the new one. Almost forgot to mention the brush shed another two hairs today. Hopefully we will be done with that soon. Anyway, I am BBS and smelling good. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 617)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

The Process-
Rocking it again today. Life is good!

421ECDD0-405B-4450-A1BC-CF6F4BCF9446.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 618)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather

The Process-
Same great shave different day ... well almost. I did switch out the brush just to keep things interesting. I may even go out on a limb and use a different aftershave tomorrow. Life is good!

ADF412AF-F557-493D-A6D4-8989CC59C41F.jpeg
Shave Count (DE: 459 SE: 9 SR: 619)

Pre Shave-
Scuttle: PAA Brush Warmer
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Windjammer

The Process-
Today I did make a few changes and enjoyed a really nice, warm lather shave. This is a tough little puck of soap. There didn't seem like much of it left, less than half, but it doesn't appear to be shrinking yet. Anyway, I lathered it up with warm water and dropped the brush into the brush warmer, while I wet my face. Started scrubbing and painting and that warm lather was amazing ... yup I'm still digging it.

10 laps on cotton and 40 on leather and it was go time. This razor is still holding a really good edge that Matt put on it, before he gave it to me. I went with my standard three passes of: WTG, XTG and ATG with no drama to report. Three warm, glorious passes and I am BBS for the win! I also had a bit of warm lather left for a post shave ... so nice.

Wrapped everything up with a quick rinse and a pat dry. Followed that with a splash of the Windjammer and everything was right as rain! You know it was ... man that was nice. I like this scent too. I can't nail all of the notes down, but on the initial splash I get spicy and some other stuff. It's nice. I thinks that's all I have for you. Life is good!

Shave Count (DE: 460 SE: 9 SR: 619)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Avon Oland

The Process-
My snooze button is a cruel mistress ... every 15 minutes nagging at me. Really?! So I may or may not have been running late this morning. No worries, I’ll crank out a speed shave. Made a few hardware changes and grabbed the Mamba. I don’t know if I had mentioned before, but I picked this up in a trade because I didn’t have any modern razors.

Anyway, I shaved at a higher RPM and knocked this one out. A very nice shave and I am once again BBS for the win. I’m doing pretty good with this Feather, I think it is getting close to 15 shaves and is still going. The Oland was a nice change up too. I dig these old Avon scents. Life is good!

38195ABC-3623-4B9E-9B89-30B443A5F57C.jpeg

Shave Count (DE: 460 SE: 9 SR: 619)

Pre Shave-
Splash and go

Shave-
Razor: Solingen SR
Brush: Yaqi Sagrada Familia Badger

Post Shave-
Post shave lather
AS: Ethos Lavender

The Process-
Early morning shave and tried something a bit different. I thought I would try a two pass shave to see how that would go. I went with an XTG and ATG pass, it was a very nice shave and I am DFS for the win! That’s right friends and neighbors, I missed the sweet spot by that much. I hate when that happens. Still a good shave and I will work out the kinks. Wrapped everything up with a splash of the Lavender AS and everything was right as rain. Another busy day at work, so let’s get to it. Life is good!

Top Bottom