What's new

Mild to Medium open comb?

I have an R41 and a merkur 47c, had a weishi tto knockoff (van der hagen) that I concluded was practically useless and gave away. I'm quite fond of my R41 for my WTG and XTG but I dont really want to go ATG with it. I just like the concept of the open comb because it doesn't wipe the cream away before the blade even gets to it. I'm looking for a nice mild open comb for times when I want to go ATG, or for when I want to shave... other areas.

I looked I've done a fair amount of reading on the forums and such and one razor that comes to mind is the 15c, but it seems like it has "negative" blade exposure and requires a really a lot of skill and attention to get a good shave out of it, so I'm thinking I need something a little more aggressive than a 15c.

I've seen a lot of people suggest the Gillette NEW. There seems to be a lot of different types of them including two different series from US and UK, Long comb, short comb etc.

I was looking at the Maggard OC v2, because its cheap and i like the looks of that huge honkin handle that i'd switch out for my R41. I've also read that some people think its the same as a parker, which is supposedly the same as a razorock...

Any help/suggestion would be very appreciated

I have a V2. It is exactly what you say you want. My favorite razor is my Gillette NEW Short Comb.

I recently got this very nice Merkur 15C vintage version in silver plating - bought new in London in 1982, according to the very nice chap I bought it from. It is really mild, I like it a lot. No problems whatsoever, nothing to worry about or focus on, I just shave with it. I recommend it.

(I will try not to think about 'other areas'...:scared:)

IMG_0371.JPG
IMG_0372.JPG

I say go for a Gillette OLD Type. My favorite is a Thin Cap Single Ring, but any OLD will do. Next choice would be a SC NEW, a LC isn't a bad choice either.

I say go for a Gillette OLD Type. My favorite is a Thin Cap Single Ring, but any OLD will do. Next choice would be a SC NEW, a LC isn't a bad choice either.

Man I've been on the forums for a little while but these were some new ones... I'd never heard of an "old type"- are those the ones that you have to use a shim for modern blades... because that sounds a like kind of a pain in the butt, and also possible alignment problems?

As for the SC New and LC? What does that even stand for? My sophisticated google search didn't pull anything up on the first result :p

Man I've been on the forums for a little while but these were some new ones... I'd never heard of an "old type"- are those the ones that you have to use a shim for modern blades... because that sounds a like kind of a pain in the butt, and also possible alignment problems?

As for the SC New and LC? What does that even stand for? My sophisticated google search didn't pull anything up on the first result :p
OLD Types were the ones that came out before the NEW. Some guys Shim them, but I've never found a need to. Here's a pic of the Single Ring I just used this morning. Looks like Dog Wiskerer already answered the SC VS LC question.
IMG_20171001_214911.jpg

I see... Nice little still life you made there :) I can appreciate the effort as a professional photographer! Out of curriosity, why do you suggest the OLDs over the NEWs?

Thanks! Might just be because they're older and have more mojo. NEWs always work well for me, but I tend to pick up an OLD at least 5 times for every time I pick up a NEW. Also an old dose support the blade better than a LC NEW A Short comb supports the blade better than a LC if blade support is important to you. In all honesty buy all the Gillettes!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'm looking for a nice mild open comb for times when I want to go ATG, or for when I want to shave... other areas.

I have a V2. It is exactly what you say you want. My favorite razor is my Gillette NEW Short Comb.

A mild OC for shaving ATG? I believe your search will end at a NEW SC or possibly a Gillette OLD type. Nothing can beat a rigid edge for shaving ATG and its not only my opinion.

Mine gives me consistent BBS shaves with one WTG pass and one ATG pass, with a single buffing ATG pass over my neck and chin. When using a favorite blade, it does that while leaving my skin cool and comfortable.

Some may disagree, but if you do a search for the word "rigid" in the DE razor forum, you'll find much to read about the NEW SC, LC and OLD types.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
You can read about my experience here with a Gillette NEW LC compared to a more rigid design British Gillette Flare Tip Rocket, and then again with the LC shimmed.

Gillette NEW LC Not Cutting It

Bear in mind, I have coarse dense growth and a swirl growth pattern on each side of my adams apple. I need a rigid design, you may not. My point about a rigid edge for ATG shaving is still valid however.

You also have no issue with the whole shim thing?
I've never found a need for a shim. I believe most guys don't bother either. It may seem like you see a lot of guys shimming because people don't bother to report not shimming. The Shim Esox is referring to is for blade support on a LC New not blade gap.

thanks guys! i'll look into all of this stuff! You wouldn't say that either of the Gillettes have overly challenging angles to maintain? I haven't exactly mastered the art on my face let a lone on my Johnson :p

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
The Shim Esox is referring to is for blade support on a LC New not blade gap.

Thats correct! Cant get anything past you Stews! haha

To blade gap, the NEW SC base had a consistently measured .023" or .026" (I cant remember which) gap across several samples as measured by another member, where the NEW LC varied by as much as .017" between several bases. Modern blades are generally .004" thick.

The NEW SC has been referred to as "an OLD type with blade gap" because of that. The OLD type having virtually no gap at all, and the NEW SC supporting the entire blade the same way the OLD type does.

To angles. The more gap, or blade exposure, a razor has, generally the wider choice of angles, but thats really something only you can discover and judge yourself. My NEW SC works well with either an extremely steep or extremely shallow angle. With my post war Gillette Tech, the angle needs to be maintained much more critically, as its a milder shaver having less gap and less exposure, but keeping the rigidity.

alright i think you've all got me convinced, it looks like the NEW is a touch smother and more forgiving, so I'll try out the NEW SC.

Top Bottom