What's new

Mild to Medium open comb?

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
alright i think you've all got me convinced, it looks like the NEW is a touch smother and more forgiving, so I'll try out the NEW SC.

Gillette NEW SC razors may be easy to find, or difficult. Being a brass razor, plating isnt an important factor and more cosmetic than anything, along with personal preference of course. The caps and handles should be red Brass, the bases yellow Brass.

NEW SC's were sold with I believe, one of five different caps. The correct SC cap offering the most blade exposure, and the other caps offering slightly less, with the Tech cap making it apparently, the mildest shaver.

I tell you this not to confuse, only to inform. Sorry for the ensuing confusion haha.

With any cap, it will be a somewhat mild, but very effective and efficient shave.

I think you'll love the SC, probably even enough that you'll have to try an OLD and a few other Gillettes too. :thumbsup:

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Just for the sake of clarity, see the pics below.

SC on the left, LC on the right and their respective caps. Notice the tabs on the corners of the caps. The SC cap is the only cap I believe with the squared sides.

The SC base is easily identified but notice the location of the Gillette logo stamped into the bottom of the bases. Its centered on the SC and offset on the LC.

IMG_1458.jpg IMG_1459.jpg IMG_1462.jpg

IMG_1468.JPG IMG_1469.JPG

I think you'll love the SC, probably even enough that you'll have to try an OLD and a few other Gillettes too. :thumbsup:

The real test will be if I'll realistically put down my R41.
Just for the sake of clarity, see the pics below.

SC on the left, LC on the right and their respective caps. Notice the tabs on the corners of the caps. The SC cap is the only cap I believe with the squared sides.

The SC base is easily identified but notice the location of the Gillette logo stamped into the bottom of the bases. Its centered on the SC and offset on the LC.

View attachment 825813 View attachment 825814 View attachment 825815

View attachment 825816 View attachment 825817
thanks for that! I just about to ask if there were easy identifiers because i'm seeing a lot of ebay stuff that doesn't list it as long or short.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
and the logo offset is a surefire thing?

I believe so yes, but even more so given the shape of the base plate. Its the only one that has recesses cut into the corners for the tabs on the cap.

Notice the differences in the profiles of the bases between the LC and the SC. The LC base support ends well shy of the blade edge, where the SC doesnt.

The R41 has blade exposure, but the R41 base only supports the blade at the ends of the base plate. I suspect, you'll find a noticeable difference in shaves between the two.

found this guy on the bay for $30, It looks to be in pretty good condition. I'm semi-confident that this is a NEW SC. Figure its a go?
proxy.php

proxy.php

found this guy on the bay for $30, It looks to be in pretty good condition. I'm semi-confident that this is a NEW SC. Figure its a go?
proxy.php

proxy.php
That's a long comb. The Short Comb has the diamond centered on the handle.
I'll see if I have a picture.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
proxy.php

proxy.php

See how the Gillette logo is offset and not centered and the profile of the base plate doesnt support the entire blade edge to edge? Thats a NEW LC.

Still a great shaver, and as I said, if you dont need the rigidity, it may suit you well.

See how the Gillette logo is offset and not centered and the profile of the base plate doesnt support the entire blade edge to edge? Thats a NEW LC.
Oops I totally mixed up which side was which! You guys have been AMAZING! Thanks for all the support!

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
Oops I totally mixed up which side was which! You guys have been AMAZING! Thanks for all the support!

You're welcome!

It took me ages to learn all this so you're doing well indeed with such a crash course lol.

Study all the pictures and the differences will soon become apparent.

I'll add that the handle of the one you found on Ebay is known as the "common bar handle" I believe, and would be my choice on any of the NEW razors. Theres also a thinner one that looks the same. Gillette handles, for the most part, are interchangeable.

I just found a really cheap one that is a "re-issue" and is silver? it seems slightly sketchy but has all the right markings and stuff.
proxy.php

I just found a really cheap one that is a "re-issue" and is silver? it seems slightly sketchy but has all the right markings and stuff.
proxy.php
Nickel plated. Would probably clean up nice! Nothing sketchy. Teeth are straight. I'd go for it if the price is right.

Nickel plated.

Oh, nevermind then, I had a nickel merkur 1904, for like 1 month and the thing locked up on me. couldn't get the head off or on- with the blade still in it- which made it challenging to fuss with. I chalk that up to nickel... maybe i'm wrong but it seems like the explanation to me

Oh, nevermind then, I had a nickel merkur 1904, for like 1 month and the thing locked up on me. couldn't get the head off or on- with the blade still in it- which made it challenging to fuss with. I chalk that up to nickel... maybe i'm wrong but it seems like the explanation to me
More likely the Zamak under the nickel. Gillettes are made of brass no worries I have many nickel platted razors and have never had any issues or heard of anyone else having any either.

More likely the Zamak under the nickel. Gillettes are made of brass no worries I have many nickel platted razors and have never had any issues or heard of anyone else having any either.

What troy said.

Nothing wrong with a nickel plated Gillette.

Esox

I didnt know
Staff member
I'll echo the replies about Nickel.

Its a great plating material. I have two Gillettes from 1958 and another from 1971, and the Nickel plating is fine on all.

The fact that its most likely been on that razor since the 1930's says it all!

Top Bottom