What's new

Micromatic Monday

IMG_1841.JPG

Today, I had my 1st Micromatic Monday shave. It was only my 2nd MMOC shave. The 2nd shave was better than the first. Maintaned a light touch throughout.

Razor: MMOC
Blade: GEM PTFE
Soap: Stirling Piacenza
Brush: Stirling 24mm Synth
Post shave: Witch Hazel and cetaphil (Nothing Fancy)

WTG, XTG, and touch up for an almost DFS.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Greetings all -- and thank you for the well wishes and good thoughts (not to mention sharing your excellent shaves), I am back in the saddle (dumping the ball-bounce metaphor). Today was a GEMonday (1st pass WTG, part of a 2nd pass, and a full 3rd pass plus a small touch-up) using a GEM Contour (Push Button). The carefully executed partial 2nd pass was done by a VERY nice Gold Dollar Straight generously provided by @Tanuki. A couple of observations:
  • It's strange, but I like this GEM Contour much more than my GEM Gold PB -- they are very close in age, shape and mechanics; and yet I prefer the Contour over the Gold PB shave-wise....looks-wise, I'd probably choose the GEM Gold Push Button.

• The Valobra Fougere is just an awesome soap -- it, Saponificio Varesino, Cella (and Cella Bio), and Tabac are my favorites for SR and SR-type razors.
The GEM blade was a SS PTFE on it's 3rd shave. Here is the pic -- which really isn't nearly as nice as the DFS+ results.
proxy.php

Last edited:
After all those pious proclamations earlier I restricted my impiety to the AS.

Gem Contour pushbutton (Fred beat me to it!)
Gem PTFE (9)
RazoRock Black stick / Ever-Ready boar
Colgate Total Peppermint Blast (an alcohol free toner from a classic name in shaving)

I spent more time researching the origin and use count of the blade than I spent shaving. With my new blade management station, that should cease to be an issue.

5126BC26-55E2-4BCF-8ACC-19966B3C8C9C.jpeg

The blade had been resting up, tucked away in a Shovelhead, since the last Micromatic Monday in April. It was ready and teamed well with the Contour to deliver DFS service on 19.5 hour stubble. Two passes, touch up, and a quick splash from the closest bottle - on my way!

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Greetings all -- and thank you for the well wishes and good thoughts (not to mention sharing your excellent shaves), I am back in the saddle (dumping the ball-bounce metaphor). Today was a GEMonday (1st pass WTG, part of a 2nd pass, and a full 3rd pass plus a small touch-up) using a GEM Contour (Push Button). The carefully executed a partial 2nd pass was done by a VERY nice Gold Dollar Straight generously provided by @Tanuki. A couple of observations:
  • It's strange, but I like this GEM Contour much more than my GEM Gold PB -- they are very close in age, shape and mechanics; and yet I prefer the Contour over the Gold PB shave-wise....looks-wise, I'd probably choose the GEM Gold Push Button.

• The Valobra Fougere is just an awesome soap -- it, Saponificio Varesino, Cella (and Cella Bio), and Tabac are my favorites for SR and SR-type razors.
The GEM blade was a SS PTFE on it's 3rd shave. Here is the pic -- which really isn't nearly as nice as the DFS+ results.
proxy.php
Sounds like you had a great shave Fred, Glade your on the rebound from the baseball incident. I love fastball and I know all to well about bouncing balls because I use to pitch and being closer than 3rd base other than the catcher.
Baseball is more fun to play than watch IMO and I played even slow pitch into my early 50's. I miss those days of playing league ball after work and the weekend tournaments we went to.(lots of great memories)

I don't often disagree with @Flintstone65 on razors. But I actually prefer the Gold Pushbutton to the Pushbutton Contour. Not sure why.
Tonight's shave was very enjoyable. I loaded a 5th use Gem SS PTFE and lathered up the Mer Shavings Barbershop with a synthetic brush. Everything lined up for a very close very comfortable shave.

IMG_20200608_223346641.jpg

I don't often disagree with @Flintstone65 on razors. But I actually prefer the Gold Pushbutton to the Pushbutton Contour. Not sure why.
Tonight's shave was very enjoyable. I loaded a 5th use Gem SS PTFE and lathered up the Mer Shavings Barbershop with a synthetic brush. Everything lined up for a very close very comfortable shave.

View attachment 1110834

I’m voting with Fred, but truthfully I’m prejudiced against all the Gems after the Micromatics. I like the Contour handle the best of the lot. I would be more of a Featherweight fan, but my mom had one! Damaged the manliness quotient from the git go.

I’m voting with Fred, but truthfully I’m prejudiced against all the Gems after the Micromatics. I like the Contour handle the best of the lot. I would be more of a Featherweight fan, but my mom had one! Damaged the manliness quotient from the git go.

You just need one of Grey, Brown or Black handle Featherweights then it won't seem like the razor your Mom had. Or get a nice featherweight with a cruddy handle and make or have made a custom handle for it.

Ron R

SE SOTD, June 11th,2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11ish .Just a great razor with a modern Gem coated blade, fantastic shave today for going back in time with the turn of the century technology.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco - I enjoy the citrus scent & great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic, another great brush to use.
Pre shave: shower, brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aoe Vera gel on beard.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave with Witch hazel + a very small dollop of Nivea Balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:just a great shave with my Gem Jr bar.

SE SOTD, Thur June 11th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

SE SOTD, June 11th,2020

Razor: Gem Junior bar lather catcher- Mfg 1907-11ish .Just a great razor with a modern Gem coated blade, fantastic shave today for going back in time with the turn of the century technology.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) Great blade.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco - I enjoy the citrus scent & great lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Timberwolf whiskers 24mm synthetic, another great brush to use.
Pre shave: shower, brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser+ a dollop of clear Aoe Vera gel on beard.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + pick ups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici aftershave with Witch hazel + a very small dollop of Nivea Balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:just a great shave with my Gem Jr bar.

SE SOTD, Thur June 11th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I love the look of that razor on that handle.
I love my 2 Gem Jr. Bars. Mine have different handles than that one. If I ever see one like that for a reasonable price I just may have to pick it up.

Ron R

I love the look of that razor on that handle.
I love my 2 Gem Jr. Bars. Mine have different handles than that one. If I ever see one like that for a reasonable price I just may have to pick it up.
The handle also has a strop attachment that is threaded in the base for storing and has a second female thread through the base of the strop attachment that threads onto the male end of handle. These fellows thought it out well IMO.
The knurling is just right for a light razor also- no complaints and has not slipped out of hand.
The razor below is my first Gem Junior bar that needed some repairs on the stops, I do not use that head anymore because I have another one that has better stops and nicer script. The previous owner really enjoyed this razor because of the brassing and how worn the blades stops were. I will say this about the razor with the worn stops it allowed to blade to sit prouder up the safety bar and will give a very close shave.
Stropping attachment inside of handle! (2).jpg

Have some great shaves.

The handle also has a strop attachment that is threaded in the base for storing and has a second female thread through the base of the strop attachment that threads onto the male end of handle. These fellows thought it out well IMO.
The knurling is just right for a light razor also- no complaints and has not slipped out of hand.
The razor below is my first Gem Junior bar that needed some repairs on the stops, I do not use that head anymore because I have another one that has better stops and nicer script. The previous owner really enjoyed this razor because of the brassing and how worn the blades stops were. I will say this about the razor with the worn stops it allowed to blade to sit prouder up the safety bar and will give a very close shave.
View attachment 1112057
Have some great shaves.

I've seen the stropping attachment on yours and absolutely love that design feature.
An even more efficient Gem Jr. Bar because of the blade stops being fixed sounds like a bonus to me. I'd use it quite frequently.
I have an ER lather catcher that I need to fix like that. First I have to practice soldering thin brass to get comfortable enough to attempt the fix.

Well I tried having a very UK shave Friday. I got out my Made in England ER 1912 and my British Made Pal Injectomatic. Then I whipped up a fantastic lather with some UK based Wickham 1912 Irish Fern. This is my first use of Wickham and man this stuff smells great and lathers wonderfully. I loaded a 6th use Gem SS PTFE and started the shave with the ER. This is my second time using this razor. I took a few strokes and looked closely at the razor. I had heard the English/British ERs are more aggressive but this one is mild but I LOVE the handle. Anyway I looked closer and saw that the blade wasn't seated right. Readjust take a stroke look close. Not seated tight. Ok what gives well the blade is shifting all over. Grab my US made ER 1912 try things out, works perfect. Hmmmm. As far as I can tell the blade stops are bent up slightly making to much room for the blade to slip to far under them and making enough room for it to not get properly engage by the back clip. So do I adjust the blade stops? Or do I find a way to adjust the back clip push the blade forward further with would make it a more aggressive razor?
Anyways I finished up the rest of the shave with a pound in the US made ER. Results are a fantastic shave.

20200612_143905_HDR~2.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
It's a touch early for the rapidly approaching Micromatic Monday / GEMonday announcement, but a good friend recently threw me a Parade....a Gem Junior Parade. Thank you, @GAW9576!!!! The last time we all gathered for a Parade shave, he noticed that I did not have a Parade with a Baton Handle, and he very thoughtfully and generously rectified that. So this beauty will definitely be making it's inaugural shave tomorrow.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

How about you all? Will you be joining in tomorrow, what razor(s) will you bring? Remember that all ASR razors using a Gem-style blade are welcome!!!

Top Bottom