What's new

Micromatic Monday

Wow, my memory is terrible... it's green velvet inside, not purple. Attached is a photo of the box and a photo of the 1912 razor. The "M" is asymmetrical, same as yours. Are you thinking post-1924 for both the box and the razor?
I see a photo in Wait's that shows your handle style as 1928. The info is sketchy but that would be my guess. I am sure someone knows more about this than me.

Wow, my memory is terrible... it's green velvet inside, not purple. Attached is a photo of the box and a photo of the 1912 razor. The "M" is asymmetrical, same as yours. Are you thinking post-1924 for both the box and the razor?
I see a photo in Wait's that shows your handle style as 1928. The info is sketchy but that would be my guess. I am sure someone knows more about this than me.

Squat head? Let’s see it from the back.

Squat head? Let’s see it from the back.
Here is the back. I don't think it's a squat head, but what do you think?

Attachments

• 20200601_205352.jpg
    20200601_205352.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 9

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I would definitely say post-1924 based on the "M". And if Waits is correct, I'd call it a 1928'ish -- good spot by @Whiterook. I've got to say, I feel like we got closer on dating this beauty then usual....1912's (and really all of the Gems) are just tough to nail down to a specific year. Nice work everyone! :thumbup:

I would definitely say post-1924 based on the "M". And if Waits is correct, I'd call it a 1928'ish -- good spot by @Whiterook. I've got to say, I feel like we got closer on dating this beauty then usual....1912's (and really all of the Gems) are just tough to nail down to a specific year. Nice work everyone! :thumbup:
Agreed. Thanks, everyone. I'm getting perfect idiot proof shaves from a 92 year old razor... but a modern Fusion gives me a shave equivalent to using a butter knife. So much for progress.

I did convert one friend to DE shaving a few years back to solve a skin problem, but that is my only convert. But I keep trying.

Agreed. Thanks, everyone. I'm getting perfect idiot proof shaves from a 92 year old razor... but a modern Fusion gives me a shave equivalent to using a butter knife. So much for progress.

I did convert one friend to DE shaving a few years back to solve a skin problem, but that is my only convert. But I keep trying.

I converted my wife to DE. And one of my friends to all varieties of wet shaving.

Three sons converted, two DE, one using a RazoRock Eco and ‘saloon’ blades. I am still sneaking up on the LOTH, the shaving stick she hijacked is just the thin end of the wedge. She might be a good candidate for another Eco.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SE SOTD, Thur June 4th 2020

Razor: Everready streamline 2nd Generation model-Mfg 1949-53- Nice eye candy, but it needs good technique to enjoy even more IMO.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(3) Great blade in all respects that checks most of the boxes,sharp,longevity & smoothness as the blade wears in.
Soap: Barrister & Mann Seville- nice scent with good lather qualities IMO.
Brush: Razorock Plissoft 24mm- great brush that I enjoy still after 3 1/2 years.
Pre-shave: Brush wash my face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pick ups.
Post shave: Razorock blue barber with witch hazel + a dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + 2 tiny weepers= :001_smile very close shave with my ER Streamline razor.

SE SOTD, Thur, June 4th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

I converted my daughter. You should have seen how excited she was after the first shave! I got here a Lady Gillette from 1963 and I think she will be using it for the rest of her days.

I gave my wife a long handle Gillette black beauty that was near mint. She used it for a while but then left it in the shower too long when I was traveling for work and the TTO knob seized up.
Now she has a black plastic Wilkinson Sword.

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the @Graydog brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

20200605_172823_HDR~2.jpg

I tested 2 new to me razors today. A Gem 1912 and a Gem Junior. I didn't expect much difference in the shaves but the 1912 was more efficient/aggressive than the Junior. Both razors shave quite comfortably but there was a noticeable difference. The Sterling Almost Heaven with frost drops lathered very well with the @Graydog brush. And the shave was very enjoyable all around.

View attachment 1109703
So why do they call the GEM Junior a junior? The heads of both are the same size. Silly question, I know, but I'm curious.

So why do they call the GEM Junior a junior? The heads of both are the same size. Silly question, I know, but I'm curious.

I'm not sure but the heads are actually slightly different. It's hard to tell in my picture but the main difference I see is the guard bar is a little narrower on the Junior. You may be able to see it if you look close at my picture. If not I will try to remember to get a good side by side picture of them tomorrow.

Thanks for pointing that out. Is the open/close tab also different? I recently picked up a 1912 and a Gem Junior bakelite handle razor. I've been using the 1912 but haven't used the Junior yet. I only glanced at them briefly together when I unpacked them.

20200606_093009.jpg

Thanks to @MyOldKentuckyHome's generous PIF, I had my first shave with a GEM MMOC. Yowza, that was an aggressive shave! I have a tendency to use too much pressure, so I was really trying to keep it light. My first pass was good. I got too confident on the second pass. Thankfully, I only got one small weeper under the chin. I admit that I cheated and use my Game Changer under my nose. The angle for the MMOC was awkward. Stirling Deep Blue Sea performed great, as always. Used a GEM PTFE. WTG, XTG + cleanup gave me a DFS with some razor burn. I look forward to round 2 on Monday!

View attachment 1109983

Thanks to @MyOldKentuckyHome's generous PIF, I had my first shave with a GEM MMOC. Yowza, that was an aggressive shave! I have a tendency to use too much pressure, so I was really trying to keep it light. My first pass was good. I got too confident on the second pass. Thankfully, I only got one small weeper under the chin. I admit that I cheated and use my Game Changer under my nose. The angle for the MMOC was awkward. Stirling Deep Blue Sea performed great, as always. Used a GEM PTFE. WTG, XTG + cleanup gave me a DFS with some razor burn. I look forward to round 2 on Monday!

It is definitely on the more aggressive side, but with time and technique gives a very good shave with little effort.

Ride that cap - its very different angle than a DE and really takes no pressure at all.

It is definitely on the more aggressive side, but with time and technique gives a very good shave with little effort.

Ride that cap - its very different angle than a DE and really takes no pressure at all.
I picked up one a few weeks ago but haven't tried it yet. I got it along with a 1912 and GEM Junior bakelite handle. I started with the 1912 from this group, which I really like. Before that, I enjoyed the MM Flying Wing Bullet Tip TTO, which looks similar to the MMOC.

Top Bottom