What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
It's a touch early for the rapidly approaching Micromatic Monday / GEMonday announcement, but a good friend recently threw me a Parade....a Gem Junior Parade. Thank you, @GAW9576!!!! The last time we all gathered for a Parade shave, he noticed that I did not have a Parade with a Baton Handle, and he very thoughtfully and generously rectified that. So this beauty will definitely be making it's inaugural shave tomorrow.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

How about you all? Will you be joining in tomorrow, what razor(s) will you bring? Remember that all ASR razors using a Gem-style blade are welcome!!!
Looks like a nice one, Hope you enjoy it like I enjoy mine. Seems strange or funny that modern razors have all the latest greatest machining know how and not many I know stand by them selves. They want $15 or more for a little stand, you could buy a Gem Junior 1912 with baton handle Parade for less now a days. I think they had it right many decades (60 + yrs)ago.

Glad you like the razor @Flintstone65 looks like you cleaned it up even better than what I did before sending it out. I'll use my Gem Jr. With Baton handle tomorrow too. I saw another one at an antique store today and was very tempted to pick it up. It wasn't a fantastic price although not bad.

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
It's a touch early for the rapidly approaching Micromatic Monday / GEMonday announcement, but a good friend recently threw me a Parade....a Gem Junior Parade. Thank you, @GAW9576!!!! The last time we all gathered for a Parade shave, he noticed that I did not have a Parade with a Baton Handle, and he very thoughtfully and generously rectified that. So this beauty will definitely be making it's inaugural shave tomorrow.
proxy.php
proxy.php

proxy.php

How about you all? Will you be joining in tomorrow, what razor(s) will you bring? Remember that all ASR razors using a Gem-style blade are welcome!!!

Gorgeous GEM Jr. Parade w/Baton handle! :001_wub:

I will be breaking out my new GEM Push Button. :)

Today was Flag Day, but I could break out the Parade Baton tomorrow, double up with the Clogpruf. I’m trying to find what razor, if any, the Mollé will stop in its tracks. It is better at glop in the cracks.

I might be running out of patience with that cream. Effective, but a low fun factor and high opportunity costs when it comes to equipment clean up.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
A Great GEMonday shave with the new-to-me GEM Junior Parade (thank you, @GAW9576 ), my sort-of-new-to-me Gold Dollar straight razor (thank you, @Tanuki), and the excellent Cyrill R Salter Rose cream (thank you again, @GAW9576) lathered with my very first shave brush (RazoRock Plissoft). The first pass was partially completed by the Gold Dollar with both Cheeks, Upper lip and some throat done -- I'm still learning how to shave with a straight razor. The rest of pass one and the remaining 2 passes were done by the GEM Junior. I'm a fan of both of these razors; but this is a Micromatic Monday / GEMonday thread, so let's focus on the GEM. I love the baton handle (exceptionally easy to hold and it's a great weight for me), and the razor itself is a beautiful balance between comfort and efficiency...especially with a GEM SS PTFE blade on it's 3rd shave. The end result was a DFS+ without a single weeper or even a hint of irritation. And during the shave and while I was cleaning up, I couldn't help but think of the very good friends I've made on this forum. I hope everyone had a great shave today!!!
proxy.php

IMG_2388.JPG

Razor: GEM 1912, replated in platinum; this might be the only platinum 1912 here - please correct me if I am wrong.
Blade: GEM SS PFTE by Personna
Brush: Fendrihan 25mm Tuxedo. It is one of my favorite synthetic brushes and might be one of the best bargains in wet shaving for under $15. Super soft tips with nice backbone; its two-tone acrylic handle is attractive, heavy and comfortable.
Soap/Cream: Musgo Real
Aftershave: Tabac Original Balm.

Ron R

View attachment 1113485

Razor: GEM 1912, replated in platinum; this might be the only platinum 1912 here - please correct me if I am wrong.
Blade: GEM SS PFTE by Personna
Brush: Fendrihan 25mm Tuxedo. It is one of my favorite synthetic brushes and might be one of the best bargains in wet shaving for under $15. Super soft tips with nice backbone; its two-tone acrylic handle is attractive, heavy and comfortable.
Soap/Cream: Musgo Real
Aftershave: Tabac Original Balm.
Platinum, Now that is a rarity. Platinum is usually priced higher per once than gold but usually no were near the price of Rhodium- is the most priciest metal in the world. Platinum is a harder metal than gold and should wear well for you. You must really enjoy that razor to get it re-coated, nothing wrong with a favorite.

Ron R

GEMonday, June 15th 2020

Razor: Gem Push button - MFG 1958-65 one of my favorite looking Gem razors, black and gold is eye appealing.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (6) Excellent blade,very sharp,good longevity, Smooths out nicely over it's life cycle.
Soap: Tabac- good soap with light flowery scent with good lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi Tuxedo knot 24 mm synthetic- Excellent brush and had no problem lathering my Tabac triple milled soap.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 3 + any pick ups.
Post shave: Pinaud Clubman with witch Hazel + a tiny dollop of Nivea balm.
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17: Excellent shave with my GEM push button razor.
MMMonday June 15th 2020 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Platinum, Now that is a rarity. Platinum is usually priced higher per once than gold but usually no were near the price of Rhodium- is the most priciest metal in the world. Platinum is a harder metal than gold and should wear well for you. You must really enjoy that razor to get it re-coated, nothing wrong with a favorite.
Thanks! The price of platinum was the same as gold and I bought it plated for less $ than the plating + shipping would cost. I really like platinum. It should last a long time, it is bright, but at the same time warm. I also have a MMOC replated in 24K gold, it’s a looker. These GEM razors are so good, they deserve the extra treatment. :)

Still searching...

for the motivation for clog proof razor designs. Two razors, two brushless creams, no answers.

MMCP / Gem PTFE(11)
Gem Junior The Parade / same blade
Lucky Tiger Mollé and Barbasol Sensitive
Alum, AV Ice Blue/Osage Rub 3:1

C57759D8-1AA3-47BE-9DD9-F3FB67030794.jpeg

I have yet to slow down a razor’s cutting action with a brushless cream. With Mollé the visuals aren’t good and the final razor rinse is tedious. But the razors still cruise. Mid-shave I realized that I have largely reserved the Barbasol for quick Schick injector shaves, so I gave it pass 2 with the Gems. No dice on the elusive clogging.

At this point I think I will need three days growth, or more, to understand the point of those vintage ads that boast about defeating the clogging threat.

Both razors did a fine job today, but I think I will have to load a fresh blade to get ultimate closeness.

Razor: Gem Featherweight
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Cremo Brushless Shaving Cream
Lather: Razorock Mudder Focker
Aftershave: Proraso Green Splash
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Pinaud Finest powder
20200614_085010.jpg

never-stop-learning

Demoted To Moderator
Staff member
Micromatic Monday Shave 20200615
20200615_144116~2.jpg

Razor: GEM Pushbutton
Blade: Personna GEM (4)
Brush: Vintage Certifyd w/24mm Tuxedo Synthetic Knot
Bowl: Captain's Choice Copper
Soap: Tabac
Post-shave: Gentleman Jon Alum Block
Aftershave Balm: Hyaluronic Acid
Aftershave: Tabac

WTG, XTG, XTG & ATG. Minor touch-up.

DFS++ with no nicks, cuts, weepers or irritation.

First shave with the GEM Pushbutton. Similar to the GEM Featherweight Deluxe. The GEM Pushbutton is a very good razor indeed. :)

Wonderful Micromatic Monday shave! :)

Top Bottom