What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches!!!! Unfortunately for me, it is not to be, but you can save yourself and enjoy an awesome GEM shave. If you are so fortunate to be able to join in, please share your shave with the rest of us!

I went with a Gem cousin today and used a Ever-Ready shovel head paired with a Schick Golden 500. Cold water prep and cold water lather with Mer Shavings Fougere Bay on two band badger.

20190922_090223.jpg

Flintstone65

I went with a Gem cousin today and used a Ever-Ready shovel head paired with a Schick Golden 500. Cold water prep and cold water lather with Mer Shavings Fougere Bay on two band badger.
Very nice!!! I especially like the razors....I've heard great things about the Schick Golden 500; but I know very little about it. Looks similar to my Schick Type L (which I really like) -- except your Schick is much, much prettier!!!

I've finally reached a part of the country where broadband services exist....I've spent the week in the "back country"...it's quite beautiful, and technologically isolated. I did a recent trip to NYC and took a GEM Jr. Bar LC and an early Autostrop (both "New Yorker" razors); and this trip I wanted a Schick (so took the H1) and a slant (given it's also Slantember). So this has been my "kit" (along with a Maggard's travel brush, some Arko, Palmolive Cream and Cella). To be more historically/geographically accurate in my shave gear, I think a straight razor would be the most appropriate (or not shaving at all), but I lack the equipment and skills for a straight-razor shave, and not shaving is never an option (I prefer being smooth-faced).
IMG_2156.jpg

I'll leave it there, since this is a GEM-focused thread -- just wanted to explain my absence. :001_302:

Very nice!!! I especially like the razors....I've heard great things about the Schick Golden 500; but I know very little about it. Looks similar to my Schick Type L (which I really like) -- except your Schick is much, much prettier!!!

I've finally reached a part of the country where broadband services exist....I've spent the week in the "back country"...it's quite beautiful, and technologically isolated. I did a recent trip to NYC and took a GEM Jr. Bar LC and an early Autostrop (both "New Yorker" razors); and this trip I wanted a Schick (so took the H1) and a slant (given it's also Slantember). So this has been my "kit" (along with a Maggard's travel brush, some Arko, Palmolive Cream and Cella). To be more historically/geographically accurate in my shave gear, I think a straight razor would be the most appropriate (or not shaving at all), but I lack the equipment and skills for a straight-razor shave, and not shaving is never an option (I prefer being smooth-faced).
View attachment 1019209

I'll leave it there, since this is a GEM-focused thread -- just wanted to explain my absence. :001_302:

Thanks, I really like the Shovel head on the baton handle and Golden 500 is a great razor too, it's in excellent shape and was only missing the original blade dispenser. This was an interesting shave with the dramatic difference in handles between the two razors.
Hope the rest of your trip goes well.
I have been busy building a Greenhouse and teaching my three kids. I have been a little lazy with shaving except Sundays and Mondays.

View attachment 1019209

I just spent the week following Labor Day at Yellowstone. Loved it! Best time of year to go IMO!

Flintstone65

Thanks, I really like the Shovel head on the baton handle and Golden 500 is a great razor too, it's in excellent shape and was only missing the original blade dispenser. This was an interesting shave with the dramatic difference in handles between the two razors.
Hope the rest of your trip goes well.
I have been busy building a Greenhouse and teaching my three kids. I have been a little lazy with shaving except Sundays and Mondays.
I didn't even catch that you have a Shovelhead on that handle, my brain saw the baton and immediately thought "Gem Jr."....very cool.

A Greenhouse is on my list of to-do's / to-have's one day. Just recently we've been experimenting with hydroponics....all indoors at the moment. I setup a dutch bucket system for 6 tomato plants, and have been doing the Kratky method for bibb lettuce, mesclun, cress, spinach, fennel, cilantro, beets and green peppers. We've had great success with leafy stuff, and green peppers, but I'm struggling with the tomatoes and not sure what I'll find when I get home. There are PVC structures in every room of our place with shop lights on timers....I keep telling my wife that the Sheriff is going to be knocking on the door since I'm sure the neighbors are going to mistake our vegetable growing for something less than legal. Every time I talk about hydroponics, I have to quickly clarify for folks that I'm not growing weed. With our oppressive heat and bugs, I find indoor gardening much more enjoyable....which is why Greenhouse is definitely on the wish list.

I just spent the week following Labor Day at Yellowstone. Loved it! Best time of year to go IMO!
It has been a great trip!!! And I agree about the time of year. There were actually a lot more folks here than I was expecting, but I'm sure a lot fewer than the summer when school is out.

I didn't even catch that you have a Shovelhead on that handle, my brain saw the baton and immediately thought "Gem Jr."....very cool.

A Greenhouse is on my list of to-do's / to-have's one day. Just recently we've been experimenting with hydroponics....all indoors at the moment. I setup a dutch bucket system for 6 tomato plants, and have been doing the Kratky method for bibb lettuce, mesclun, cress, spinach, fennel, cilantro, beets and green peppers. We've had great success with leafy stuff, and green peppers, but I'm struggling with the tomatoes and not sure what I'll find when I get home. There are PVC structures in every room of our place with shop lights on timers....I keep telling my wife that the Sheriff is going to be knocking on the door since I'm sure the neighbors are going to mistake our vegetable growing for something less than legal. Every time I talk about hydroponics, I have to quickly clarify for folks that I'm not growing weed. With our oppressive heat and bugs, I find indoor gardening much more enjoyable....which is why Greenhouse is definitely on the wish list.

It has been a great trip!!! And I agree about the time of year. There were actually a lot more folks here than I was expecting, but I'm sure a lot fewer than the summer when school is out.

Yeah I think the handle on the Shovel head was even shorter than the baton.
I'd love to see pictures of your setup. I'll PM you some pictures of the progress on the greenhouse, unless others would like me to share them here and if that's OK.

Flintstone65

Unless some other in-home / backyard gardeners speak up, we should probably stick to PM. I'm traveling today, but I'll get some pics out to you later....and I'd love to see how the greenhouse is coming along.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
SEptember 23 for a GEMonday and razor of choice is the Gem Jr 1912 Parade and it is a great razor to use with the wide tapered handle that acts like a stand.
Razor : Gem Junior 1912 Parade MFG 1943
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5)
Soap: Razorock Lavender
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24 mm
Pre-shave : Glycerin soap wash with brush+ Wet warm towel on face for 40 seconds X 2 + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave : King Louis Lavender + witch hazel + Nivea balm
Results : CCS,DFS,BBs+ Alum block indicated nothing = :thumbup: it does not get better for myself!
SEptemper 23-2019 (2).jpg

Have a great shave!

Last edited:
After some private Fat-Handle-Tech-Mondays I rejoined MMMonday today. I used my MMBT, which became my most favorite MM Gem for quite some time, with a fresh GEM PFTE blade. Since the first pass, the shave was so much closer right from the beginning. I was surprised how smooth the GEM blade was at its first use. This might got some help from the very creamy Tabac lather I prepared today. After the second pass it was almost BBS, just a few touch-ups needed ATG.
I got some mild sting from my Tabac after shave fluid at my neck, so my SE-technique seems to need a bit of improvement, or a milder, switched blade, next time.

IMG_2097.JPG
Decided on a try MMOC Monday:

Razor: Gem MMOC
Blade: Gem Carbon Steel
Brush: Simpson 106 Pure Badger (one of my favorites)
Pre: GD Unscented+Cooling
Soap: GD Mallard Fougere

Got a really good shave with this today. Realized the other day that I had been riding to high on the cap of my Gems. Lowered the handle a bit towards my neck, and not I'm getting nice irritation free shaves.

BMMOC
GEM Carbon Steel (x1)
Body Shop Maca Root and Aloe
Omega 636
IMG_20190923_062032-01.jpeg

First time with the carbon steel blade. Knew I needed to rinse and dry it after use but was surprised at the darkening and spotting that was there. So far as I could tell, not any better than the stainless PTFE. We'll see how it holds up...

On the subject of tomatoes, I grow a few on my window ledge every year (don't have a garden at the moment unfortunately), usually I do really well out of it. This year? One solitary tomato haha.

On the subject of shaving, I'm growing my 'tache back do I added my Parker Shavette today, just to touch up the edges, soap was my lovely Parma Violet smelling Tallow n.1, A/S was Clubman Musk, decanted to a glass bottle, I was skeptical at first and it might still all be in my head but it really does seem to improve the fragrance and I'll put some tabac balm on once the Clubman has died off, this has possibly the longest lasting scent of any balm I've used and I like the touch of alcohol it has.

full

View attachment 1019385
Decided on a try MMOC Monday:

Razor: Gem MMOC
Blade: Gem Carbon Steel
Brush: Simpson 106 Pure Badger (one of my favorites)
Pre: GD Unscented+Cooling
Soap: GD Mallard Fougere

Got a really good shave with this today. Realized the other day that I had been riding to high on the cap of my Gems. Lowered the handle a bit towards my neck, and not I'm getting nice irritation free shaves.

That's good news that you're getting a handle on the technique, I don't really understand the reputation they have as scary, aggressive razors, I find them a joy to use, yes they are on the aggressive side but I generally do less passes with them than a DE, so my skin usually feels far better afterwards.

Lovely brush you have as well.

That's good news that you're getting a handle on the technique, I don't really understand the reputation they have as scary, aggressive razors, I find them a joy to use, yes they are on the aggressive side but I generally do less passes with them than a DE, so my skin usually feels far better afterwards.

Lovely brush you have as well.

I've had a couple of rough shaves with my MMOC and it kind of scared me away for a bit. I switched up my blade (from a PTFE to a Carbon) and fixed my technique and now might go back to it more often. It also helped that I've been using a Kampfe LC, and those things are very aggressive and can be tough to handle.

I had a cold water Double Mentholated Micromatic Monday.

Gem MMOC with Gem SS PTFE
Proraso Green with Cremo Cooling added
whipped up with cold water and a horse hair brush, finished off with Proraso white balm.

20190923_075632.jpg

For this SEptember I've been holding back from using my open comb Micromatic because I thought I was out of blades. After buying a new tuck I found that I still had a few. Being Monday I loaded up one of the old ones, carbon steel, and had a half decent shave. It tugged a bit towards the end and I had a few weepers but ended up with a decent two-pass shave. I dried the blade carefully so we'll see how it works tomorrow.

Had a great shave with two of my favorite razors.
First pass Gem Jr.Bar with 1st use Gem SS PTFE.
Second pass and cleanup Enders Speed Shaver with last use Proline B20.
Cyril R Salter wild rose whipped up with two band badger.
The last few drops of my Tolsom and witch hazel After Shave splash finish things off.

20190929_083554.jpg

Flintstone65

Had a great shave with two of my favorite razors.
First pass Gem Jr.Bar with 1st use Gem SS PTFE.
Second pass and cleanup Enders Speed Shaver with last use Proline B20.
Cyril R Salter wild rose whipped up with two band badger.
The last few drops of my Tolsom and witch hazel After Shave splash finish things off.

View attachment 1021066
That is such a beautiful Gem Jr Bar -- and both the razors are just superb shavers!!! Well done, and an awesome reminder that....
Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday) approaches!!! :a50:

Top Bottom