What's new

Micromatic Monday

Nice GEMonday deluxe double! I am just getting used to my sudden influx of creams, mainly inspired by you and @Flintstone65 ! I think I can blame the B-20 blades that just got inventoried on you as well. It is all going to result in a lot of cream lathered Daily Doubles in OCtober.

What are you putting the B20s in?

What are you putting the B20s in?

Nothing yet. OCtober, travel, and (when time allows) SR shaves will interfere with a quick deployment. I want to give the injectors a good run, but that will probably happen during the holidays or in ski season. For now, Schick E and G is the only plan. No wild-caught Schick A/B/C yet. And now that you guys made Enders so famous, I haven’t seen one in the wild.

Nothing yet. OCtober, travel, and (when time allows) SR shaves will interfere with a quick deployment. I want to give the injectors a good run, but that will probably happen during the holidays or in ski season. For now, Schick E and G is the only plan. No wild-caught Schick A/B/C yet. And now that you guys made Enders so famous, I haven’t seen one in the wild.

You have to watch the B20s in injectors, the rounded corners don't hit the blade stops and can let the blade shift. The schick A B and I believe C don't have blade stops and hold the blade pretty good so I personally think the B20s are good in them. And the Enders needs an original blade with the edge removed as a wedge to hold the B20 in, plus there is the JB weld blade adapter method for Enders which works very well. So what I'm getting at is just be careful.
I want to try an injector blade in a Gem soon, I've seen that a few people have done it I just haven't gotten around to it.

Gem bumpless MMOC with Gem SS PTFE 3rd use
Gillette thin cap with 1st use KAI
Cella on Omega boar.
Great comfortable shave with two great razors.

20191004_180229.jpg

Didn't get around to posting this yesterday but it was a great shave.
I went with my oldest safety razor the 1900 Kampfe Bros Star with a Gem SS PTFE 4th use. This isn't my smoothest razor but for 119 it's pretty impressive, very efficient and enjoyable to shave with. This was also a rare shave for me as I only used one razor.
Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood whipped up wonderfully on a two band badger, then a splash of witch hazel rounded things out for a great shave.

20191005_072908.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Didn't get around to posting this yesterday but it was a great shave.
I went with my oldest safety razor the 1900 Kampfe Bros Star with a Gem SS PTFE 4th use. This isn't my smoothest razor but for 119 it's pretty impressive, very efficient and enjoyable to shave with. This was also a rare shave for me as I only used one razor.
Mer Shavings Mysore Sandalwood whipped up wonderfully on a two band badger, then a splash of witch hazel rounded things out for a great shave.

View attachment 1023434
Very nice Kampfe Brothers razor, I'm always amazed the amount of detail that goes into these art deco razors.
The Artists who worked for these Cutlery company's were the best at the time and the Sheet metal work is out of this world. Thanks for sharing.
Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Very nice Kampfe Brothers razor, I'm always amazed the amount of detail that goes into these art deco razors.
The Artists who worked for these Cutlery company's were the best at the time and the Sheet metal work is out of this world. Thanks for sharing.
Have some great shaves!
I agree. What seems odd to me -- as someone who knows less than nothing about the topic -- is that the making of these types of razors today seems to be nearly impossible (from what I've read on this forum). Milling a solid chunk of metal, no problem....pressing and bending a thin piece of metal into shape, that is apparently difficult in this day and age. I've heard folks familiar with metal work say the equipment needed is just not readily available -- and I guess the skills of how to do this have long been lost as well. I just think it's a touch sad....while I'm glad folks are working on new DE and SE razors, I just find they look somewhat sterile compared to the 100 year old razors.

Flintstone65

So it's been a while since I've (LOUDLY) rung the bell -- but here it is: MICROMATIC MONDAY APPROACHES!!!!

This thread really doesn't need a crier , but it gives me something do on a Sunday evening. So let's just get to it: all GEM razors and their ASR brethren (Ever-Ready, Star and Treet -- did I leave anyone out?) are welcome!!! And Monday's are not just for Micromatics (although they are an excellent choice!) -- you can make it a GEMonday by using something other than a Micromatic and that works for us too!!! Oh yeah, and Daily Doubles or even Triples (and beyond) are ALWAYS crowd-pleasers!!!

So I've given this some thought, and I'm a bit torn. I'd like to take another shave with the Gem Zinn Automatic, but it's also been a while since the Open Comb Damaskeene has made the scene. It's also been way too long since I've used my Micromatic Open Comb (MMOC)....all three have "open combs", which works very well for OCtober!!! And I've been meaning to break out a Kampfe Bros Star Lather Catcher -- I recently picked one up without a handle...it looked lonely, so I had to save it....I mean I HAD to.....right??? :yesnod:

Okay, I'll figure it out on Monday. It will be an open comb, it will be a GEM (or ASR-cousin), it may be a Daily Double, and it will undoubtedly be an awesome shave!!!

If you know what you're going to be using on Monday, then let us know -- we're all about the "spoilers"!!! If you want to keep it a secret/surprise, well that's okay too....BUT please, I mean PLEASE, do yourself a solid and join in on the fun Monday :a21: (or a day earlier....or a day or two later, whatever works for you).

Hope to see your shaves soon!!!
:shaving:

Have some great shaves!

Thank you. It is a beautiful razor as are so many of the lather catches. Did you see the ones @kjbarth recently posted in the The Association of Lather Catchers: TALC - https://www.badgerandblade.com/forum/threads/the-association-of-lather-catchers-talc.569090/page-16#post-10382305 thread. Wow the one in the upper left is amazing.

I agree. What seems odd to me -- as someone who knows less than nothing about the topic -- is that the making of these types of razors today seems to be nearly impossible (from what I've read on this forum). Milling a solid chunk of metal, no problem....pressing and bending a thin piece of metal into shape, that is apparently difficult in this day and age. I've heard folks familiar with metal work say the equipment needed is just not readily available -- and I guess the skills of how to do this have long been lost as well. I just think it's a touch sad....while I'm glad folks are working on new DE and SE razors, I just find they look somewhat sterile compared to the 100 year old razors.

I worked in metal stamping for a few years making automotive parts. Metal can be a fickle thing when you're balding and stretching it. It is truly amazing how well and accurate these razors were made so many years ago.

That is a great find. Hope you enjoy it. I really like my featherweight.

Quick cleanup with the Bumpless MMOC and a Gem SS PTFE 5th use I believe. And my favorite soap Mer Shavings Fougere Orange Dunkys Milk Shaving Soap on Two Band Badger.
I really hope Mer makes this one again, it's amazing. I wish I was eloquent enough to give it a proper review.

20191007_065217.jpg

Last edited:

Flintstone65

A GEMonday and a Daily Double for me -- plus they're both Open Combs, and one's a Lather Catcher...:yikes: that's a lot of posting to do!

But let's start here -- because it's not just another Micromatic Monday (with apologies to the Bangles) -- for me, it's a GEMonday. Here we go.....

First pass with Gem Zinn Automatic sporting a Proline B-20
Second pass with Gem Open Comb Damaskeene and a GEM SS PTFE blade (9th shave)
Witch Hazel touch-up pass -- same as the last -- OC Dammy
Soap: Modern Williams -- one day I'll get my hands on some vintage
Brush: Omega 10077 boar -- I can lather Williams with anything, but it REALLY likes a boar!

Final Result is a very comfortable DFS shave. I'm not sure if my Proline blade is as sharp as it should be....I've been experimenting with hand loading Enders, and at least one of the Prolines took some abuse in the process, I think I may have grabbed that one. Basically the Zinn pass just felt harsher than the Dammy pass. Now that could be because the Dammy is buttery smooth to me -- just an awesome razor and still on my short list of "desert island" razors. Or it could be I haven't quite figured out how far back to push the Proline in the Zinn. I've got an original GEM-Zinn-Automatic blade, so I need to load it and see where it the blade "naturally" rests. Still a great shave, this was just a VERY long footnote.

proxy.php

proxy.php

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
OCtober, 07 on a GEMonday and will take out my Gem Damaskeene open comb and "get two Threads with one razor so to speak".:wink2:

Razor : Gem Damaskeene open comb- MFG 1912-15
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (8)
Soap : Gillette Pure shaving cream (New to me)
Brush: Yaki Tuxedo knot 24 mm+
Pre shave : Brush wash the face with CeraVe Soap + Aloe vera gel on the beard area only.
Post shave : Fine fresh Vetiver with witch hazel
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no weepers= :biggrin1:
OCtober 7 + Gemonday -2019 (2).jpg

Once in a while I like to post some Gem information for folks who bought used and were not given any manuals.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpgGem procedure (2).jpgblade_angle-se-de.gifFinal Gem review Jan21-2019 (2).jpg
Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
This morning was a "three-fer" for me... MICROMATICMonday, OCtober, and TABACtober

BMMOC (carbon, x2)
Tabac
CRV Silvertip
IMG_20191007_061531-01.jpeg

Next week's GEMMonday should be a treat. A GEM 1912 is inbound and, if I can get it honed up, something a little out of the ordinary...

Loaded up a new blade in my new Featherweight. Wow, this was a real surprise vs. my 1912 GEM. Initially, I struggled to try to get to a good technique with GEM's to the point that I almost sold every GEM that I had acquired. The "G" Bar saved my GEM collection from BST and since that success, I have been able to begin to enjoy my 1912 and MMOC.
Out of pure curiosity and impulse, I purchased my new NOS Featherweight. It was just too good looking to pass up.

Today with a new blade and one of my favorite shave creams I gave the Featherweight try. I know that all of you that enjoy GEM's know that this is one smooth shaver. It was so smooth and close that I could not believe that this was a GEM.
My shave angle varied from almost parallel to not so parallel (lack of attention) but it had no impact on aggressiveness (still easy and smooth). The razor is really very user-friendly and allows for a thoughtful shave or a quick shave. The Featherweight would be a great transition razor for someone trying a GEM for the first time. I did notice that the Featherweight does require some additional pressure to be efficient. I also noticed that blade alignment was a breeze (dropped in the blade closed the cap and its alignment and spacing were perfect), maybe because this razor is a real NOS razor with zero prior use.

Nice shave, good Monday.
20191007_124346.jpg

Top Bottom