What's new

Micromatic Monday

You're right!!! :lol:

Except it's always Monday on this thread.

So here is my Micromatic Monday shave of the day for Mothers Day Sunday May 12th.

Gem Micromatic Bullet tip. With guiding eye.
Gem SS ptfe 4th flip
Sterling executive man
2 band badger
Witch hazel After Shave splash
Proraso white cream.
CCS.
Quick cleanup was all that was needed after yesterdays shave.

20190512_154427.jpg

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Except it's always Monday on this thread.

So here is my Micromatic Monday shave of the day for Mothers Day Sunday May 12th.

Gem Micromatic Bullet tip. With guiding eye.
Gem SS ptfe 4th flip
Sterling executive man
2 band badger
Witch hazel After Shave splash
Proraso white cream.
CCS.
Quick cleanup was all that was needed after yesterdays shave.

View attachment 980235
We've probably already had this conversation (they all blur together in my head), but is your MMBT sporting a light gold wash, or is it the lighting?

We've probably already had this conversation (they all blur together in my head), but is your MMBT sporting a light gold wash, or is it the lighting?

This one is curious. It looks to be silver over gold over brass because the top is silver looking then the groves in the handle look gold and the gold looks different than my all brass razors.

MMOC, Schick twin blade (second use). Lathered up with Musgo shave soap, then steamed my face for a couple of minutes - this has become my shave prep now and it’s working very well. After the steam, dip the brush in a little water and get the same lather properly hydrated again, then start shaving. Went for a DFS today - I’ve been doing daily ATG for a while and I wanted to give my face a little room to recover.

I wasn’t sure about the Musgo puck for a while. Didn’t like the smell at first (very strong woody smell) and couldn’t figure out the right lather. I’ve been using it for a bit under a month now and I’m a convert. In use the smell has changed to something mild and very pleasant - think the palmolive stick, “but make it fashion” as the kids like to say.

Lather wise, the key is that it’s not thirsty - easy to add too much water in the initial mixing and “break” the lather, losing the slickness. I mix it in a bowl initially, with a damp brush, adding a little water a few times to generate a proto-lather. I’ll put it on my face while still a little dry and then add some water with the brush to get a nice thin glop that is still oily enough to be very slick.

Flintstone65

274F5533-1373-4BBF-AE4A-F2873000F6D5.jpeg

As promised on Saturday, my Micromatic Monday came courtesy of my Micromatic Bullet Tip with Guiding Eye. This is one of my better looking razors (although the pic isn’t very good), the chrome plating is in great shape. The proraso cream worked (as usual) with the plissoft RR 24mm brush, and then finished with Krampert’s Finest Frostbite for a nod to Menthol Monday. Got a DFS+ with 3 very comfortable passes and a light touch up.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good GEMonday morning shave, had to get my GEM Damaskeene OC out for a great shave.
Razor: GEM Damaskeene 1912-15
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Razorock XXX
Preshave: Wet the face with warm wet facecloth for 40 sec X 2 + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Razorock XXX + witch hazel + Nivea balm
GEMonday May 13-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Good GEMonday morning shave, had to get my GEM Damaskeene OC out for a great shave.
Razor: GEM Damaskeene 1912-15
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (4)
Soap : Razorock XXX
Preshave: Wet the face with warm wet facecloth for 40 sec X 2 + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Razorock XXX + witch hazel + Nivea balm
View attachment 980458
Have some great shaves!
Despite my love of the lather catchers and micromatics, the GEM OC Dammy remains my all time favorite razor. It’s my number one (so far) in every top 3, top 5, top-whatever list. Just a perfect (for me) balance of efficiency and mildness.

Had a great shave with my Micromatic Bullet Tip with Guiding Eye, GEM PFTE blade (1) and Valobra almond shaving croap. (Don't be fooled by the Cella container I keep it in. :001_smile) A very efficient 2 pass shave leading to BBS and just a little bit of sting from my Osma alun block. Finishing off with Tabac fluid AS. Yes.

P1040324.jpg

I'm participating in the PIF: Add a razor, take a razor box and today I shaved one side with a G-Bar and the other with an Ever Ready Little Lather Catcher.

Really liked the G-Bar... Not as much as my MMOC but still nice

Wasn't a huge fan of the Ever Ready

Flintstone65

Had a great shave with my Micromatic Bullet Tip with Guiding Eye, GEM PFTE blade (1) and Valobra almond shaving croap. (Don't be fooled by the Cella container I keep it in. :001_smile) A very efficient 2 pass shave leading to BBS and just a little bit of sting from my Osma alun block. Finishing off with Tabac fluid AS. Yes.

View attachment 980520
Very nice. You’ve got me curious about the Valobra — I like Cella, and I like almond scent. Do you prefer it to Cella? And does yours also have menthol? Seems like that’s what I’m finding when I search Valobra.

Flintstone65

I'm participating in the PIF: Add a razor, take a razor box and today I shaved one side with a G-Bar and the other with an Ever Ready Little Lather Catcher.

Interesting. I’ve used both and must admit that of the 2, I’m partial to the LLC. Definitely very different razors from my experience.

Flintstone65

I should add that there are many fans of the G-Bar, and I do like it all right, but there’s something about the angle of the handle that just makes it sort of unwieldy for me. I do like the Feather weight, which is pretty darn similar.

As for the LLC, I found it much closer to the MMOC....very efficient, but still relatively mild. But I have a thing for Lather Catchers (although many argue that the LLC isn’t really a Lather Catcher). Not a fan of that alligator-snap cap though, my cap spring is super tight, and I hear that’s a common complaint.

Very nice. You’ve got me curious about the Valobra — I like Cella, and I like almond scent. Do you prefer it to Cella? And does yours also have menthol? Seems like that’s what I’m finding when I search Valobra.

Valobra and Cella are very close. I think Valobra is less sweet - less cherry, more subtle almond oil scent. I've got a tad more slickness & protection from the Vitos (Supercrema & Coco), but the Valobra is a very good performer. There are two different Valobra croaps: menthol and almond. I have never tried the menthol. (In summer I use Proraso green instead.)

va007-2920.jpg

I should add that there are many fans of the G-Bar, and I do like it all right, but there’s something about the angle of the handle that just makes it sort of unwieldy for me. I do like the Feather weight, which is pretty darn similar.

As for the LLC, I found it much closer to the MMOC....very efficient, but still relatively mild. But I have a thing for Lather Catchers (although many argue that the LLC isn’t really a Lather Catcher). Not a fan of that alligator-snap cap though, my cap spring is super tight, and I hear that’s a common complaint.

I think that's why I like the MMOC... somewhere between the G-BAR and the LLC as far as aggressiveness

Flintstone65

Valobra and Cella are very close. I think Valobra is less sweet - less cherry, more subtle almond oil scent. I've got a tad more slickness & protection from the Vitos (Supercrema & Coco). There are two different Valobra croaps: menthol and almond. I have never tried the menthol. (In summer I use Proraso green instead.)

View attachment 980572
Thank you, very helpful!!! Valobra Almond is going on my soap list.

garyg

B&B membership has its percs
Not the usual MMOC, today I reached back further (though in truth with a 1912 who knows when it was made?) with a British EverReady Chain Link. Always a nice shave ...

IMG_9283.JPG

I always wonder when I pull one of these out why the Brit ER's came with two "New Blades" holders, sans the "Used Blades" versions used on the MM's with similar cases ..

Flintstone65

There may be some others coming, but I have to say it was a very nice Micromatic Monday (aka GEMonday)!!! Thank you to everyone who participated and shared your experience!!!!

Top Bottom