What's new

Micromatic Monday

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good GEMonday morning, shave was alright.
Razor:Gem featherweight
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap : Italian barber Amici
Brush: Razorock Plissoft noir 400
Preshave: shower + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave:Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Italian barber Amici AS + Nivea balm
GEMonday may6-2019 (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Good GEMonday morning, shave was alright.
Razor:Gem featherweight
Blade: GEM Personna SS PTFE (1)
Soap : Italian barber Amici
Brush: Razorock Plissoft noir 400
Preshave: shower + Aloe Vera gel
Post shave:Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: Italian barber Amici AS + Nivea balm
View attachment 978415
Have some great shaves!
I'm a big fan of the Featherweight.....mine doesn't look near as pretty as yours....I've actually been eye-balling the Featherweight Deluxe (Gold head with gold cap on the bottom of the handle). Goodness knows I don't need two Featherweights, or even another razor, but I'll probably pick one up....that's just how I roll :lol:

Today I switched to my Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless using a GEM PFTE blade for its 8th time (flipped).
The CP isn't an as smooth shaver as the BT, so with some minimal irritation on my neck and some sting from my Speick AS I got a still nice BBS shave.

P1040303.jpg

Flintstone65

Today I switched to my Micromatic Clog Pruf Peerless using a GEM PFTE blade for its 8th time (flipped).
The CP isn't an as smooth shaver as the BT, so with some minimal irritation on my neck and some sting from my Speick AS I got a still nice BBS shave.

View attachment 978417
Nice Peerless....and yes, I did count the "tines" on the closed comb just to verify ;) -- although you can just tell visually that there are more than 13 on that razor! I like my non-Peerless Clog Pruf, but I'm a bigger fan of the BT. I always rank them MMOC, MMBT and then MMCP -- that said, I really should give the MMCP more face time.

Nice Peerless....and yes, I did count the "tines" on the closed comb just to verify ;) -- although you can just tell visually that there are more than 13 on that razor! I like my non-Peerless Clog Pruf, but I'm a bigger fan of the BT. I always rank them MMOC, MMBT and then MMCP -- that said, I really should give the MMCP more face time.

Counting the number of "tines" on CP-images at a famous auction site - I did that a lot. :001_smile

Flintstone65

It was a great shave day with a new-to-me 1904'ish GEM Lather Catcher. I have a wedge blade for it, but it's not shave-ready yet (stay tuned); but it has two prominent blade stops, which means it'll happily take a GEM SS PTFE blade. I had one that had a few shaves from my 1909 Burham OC razor, so its fresh, but has definitely lost its harshness. I also called in a couple of other favorites: Tabac and my Yaqi faux-horse rainbow 26mm brush (really like this knot). Finished with a splash of Krampert's Finest Bay Rum after shave and I was stoked!

The audio on this razor roared, and it felt slightly less milder than the Gem Jr Bar (it's successor), but no weepers or even a hint of irritation, and I had a perfect CCS-DFS-BBS when the 3rd pass was complete. Had I done a touch-up, I could've likely coaxed a lite BBS out of the shave. So it's too soon to really make any pronouncements -- so of course, I will anyway -- but my gut is telling me that this is definitely the older brother of the Junior Bar in both fact and in performance....it's louder than it's little brother and there is definitely more blade-feel, but its just as efficient and my face feels both smooth and pleasant (like a razor hasn't even been used). Can't wait to try this razor with the blade it was designed for.
IMG_1731.JPG IMG_1730.jpg
For those who turned out today: thanks for sharing, and can't wait to see you next week!!!
For those who took a break: Hey, I get it...even non-GEMs need some loving -- but don't forget about us next week!!!
For those on the sideline: Seriously, get in here....you won't regret a GEM shave!!!
:clap::a14::clap::a14::clap::a14::clap::badger:

Thank you, and that is a really nice set up today.....love that Shick....well done!!!

Thank you. It is a surprisingly good shaver.

It was a great shave day with a new-to-me 1904'ish GEM Lather Catcher. I have a wedge blade for it, but it's not shave-ready yet (stay tuned); but it has two prominent blade stops, which means it'll happily take a GEM SS PTFE blade. I had one that had a few shaves from my 1909 Burham OC razor, so its fresh, but has definitely lost its harshness. I also called in a couple of other favorites: Tabac and my Yaqi faux-horse rainbow 26mm brush (really like this knot). Finished with a splash of Krampert's Finest Bay Rum after shave and I was stoked!

The audio on this razor roared, and it felt slightly less milder than the Gem Jr Bar (it's successor), but no weepers or even a hint of irritation, and I had a perfect CCS-DFS-BBS when the 3rd pass was complete. Had I done a touch-up, I could've likely coaxed a lite BBS out of the shave. So it's too soon to really make any pronouncements -- so of course, I will anyway -- but my gut is telling me that this is definitely the older brother of the Junior Bar in both fact and in performance....it's louder than it's little brother and there is definitely more blade-feel, but its just as efficient and my face feels both smooth and pleasant (like a razor hasn't even been used). Can't wait to try this razor with the blade it was designed for.
View attachment 978580 View attachment 978581
For those who turned out today: thanks for sharing, and can't wait to see you next week!!!
For those who took a break: Hey, I get it...even non-GEMs need some loving -- but don't forget about us next week!!!
For those on the sideline: Seriously, get in here....you won't regret a GEM shave!!!
:clap::a14::clap::a14::clap::a14::clap::badger:

That is a beautiful razor. I will be out of the game for a few days. I'm remodeling a really old shed into a chicken coop. I'll have time to check in here and there but probably won't shave till Sunday.

Flintstone65

That is a beautiful razor. I will be out of the game for a few days. I'm remodeling a really old shed into a chicken coop. I'll have time to check in here and there but probably won't shave till Sunday.
Thanks and good luck with the coop!

A long while ago I bought a house and 8 acres (and an old shed) for $30,000. A loooong while ago...

I think the old cedar shingles I salvaged for siding were the only thing holding the remodeled shed>Bantam boarding house together. But the skunk never managed to break in! Frustrated and hungry, that skunk picked a fight with our cat in the crawl space under the main bedroom. The resulting chemical attack rendered the whole place uninhabitable for over a month.

So @GAW9576, put a polecat door in your coop. A few chickens and eggs are a small price to pay for harmonious relations with the neighbors.

More toys for Monday’s (and Daily Doubles):

614FFDBD-53DE-4A42-83DA-D54B1DE8B43D.jpeg

Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead, pat applied for, came with an old Metro blade loaded.
User grade MMOC
User grade Gem PB

Both user grade items are in great shape mechanically, and very clean and smooth where the blade loads and where the razor meets face. Maybe a PB shovel sandwich next Monday?

Looks ready to me??? Not Micromatic compatible...
EDA59624-10F8-4BC8-8BE0-FEDD165FF066.jpeg

View attachment 978898
Ever-Ready 1924 Shovelhead, pat applied for, came with an old Metro blade loaded.
User grade MMOC
User grade Gem PB

Both user grade items are in great shape mechanically, and very clean and smooth where the blade loads and where the razor meets face. Maybe a PB shovel sandwich next Monday?

View attachment 978903
Nice toys and cool looking blade.:)

Flintstone65

A PB and Shovelhead sandwich sounds great!!! I'm a big fan of the Shovelhead -- if you rinse in a basin during the shave, make sure you give it a good shake before returning to the shave....that baby can really hold some water.

Flintstone65

I've been spending some time honing a wedge blade.....I've got real respect for you Straight razor guys -- especially the ones who bring back the vintage "haven't been honed in ages" blades. It didn't take a super long time, but I haven't shaved with it yet, so we'll see how well I did on my first honing. For those wondering why I'm talking about wedges and honing here, it's okay, it's a GEM blade for a 1904 GEM Lather Catcher. ;)

A long while ago I bought a house and 8 acres (and an old shed) for $30,000. A loooong while ago...

I think the old cedar shingles I salvaged for siding were the only thing holding the remodeled shed>Bantam boarding house together. But the skunk never managed to break in! Frustrated and hungry, that skunk picked a fight with our cat in the crawl space under the main bedroom. The resulting chemical attack rendered the whole place uninhabitable for over a month.

So @GAW9576, put a polecat door in your coop. A few chickens and eggs are a small price to pay for harmonious relations with the neighbors.

Wow I paid $30,000 for my first place but it was a 500 square foot condominium. We have lost a few chickens to critters. No free meals anymore if I can help it. They are at least going to have to work for it.

View attachment 978898
User grade MMOC
User grade Gem PB

View attachment 978903

Very nice. Is the shovel head you have the one with a small neck where the handle attaches or the one where it's nearly flat? I don't know what people call the two.
I've got the one with a neck.

I've been spending some time honing a wedge blade.....I've got real respect for you Straight razor guys -- especially the ones who bring back the vintage "haven't been honed in ages" blades. It didn't take a super long time, but I haven't shaved with it yet, so we'll see how well I did on my first honing. For those wondering why I'm talking about wedges and honing here, it's okay, it's a GEM blade for a 1904 GEM Lather Catcher. ;)

A straight razor at least has a handle.
Do you have a stropping handle. I don't know if people use those for honing too.

And thank you. I'm building a green house too and doing a bunch of spring cleaning including taking out 4 trees, my friend came over and helped with that and some grading with his tractor.

Flintstone65

A straight razor at least has a handle.
Do you have a stropping handle. I don't know if people use those for honing too.
I do...I'll post a few pics (post-shave) of the setup -- I am continually amazed at how innovative previous generations were at solving problems.

Flintstone65

Here is how the strop works:
1904 GEM Strop.jpg

It's really ingenious. The razor handle screws into the middle piece and then the blade holder slides into the lengthened handle. I used this setup to strop the blade after honing (which I did without a handle). It may be tough to tell from the pics, but the case is really compact...
IMG_1738.jpg

As for the shave itself -- here was the setup:
IMG_1734.jpg

So the shave was...interesting. The blade cut, but it could've been and should've been sharper. It was my first time honing a blade, and I'm still learning. All that said, after 3 passes and a touch-up, I had an almost close, relatively comfortable shave with no bleeders or irritation. But the shave was pretty uneven, so I ended up doing a single pass with a new-to-me Pal Injecto-Matic -- and suddenly had a CCS-DFS-BBS. And as you can probably tell from the photo of the blade, I've got a ways to go; but I'm not unhappy with the experience and I'll be looking forward to keeping at it.

Very nice. Is the shovel head you have the one with a small neck where the handle attaches or the one where it's nearly flat? I don't know what people call the two.
I've got the one with a neck.

Aren’t you supposed to be out working on the coop? :001_302:

Here is the attachment point for the shovelhead handle. Now you have to show me yours! :001_rolle

76E4A4AB-7695-4478-B5D7-F01D8EFF1F60.jpeg

I didn’t even know it was a Shovelhead when I bought it, so I was glad to have the @mata_66 updated model spreadsheet for reference.:clap::clap:

Top Bottom