What's new

Micromatic Monday

Sir, would you please explain what it is about the solid bar that helps with clogging? I imagine you are right, but I can’t figure out why.

GEM introduced the "clog pruf" model specifically to be used with "heavier creams".
GEM Clog.jpg

“Shave before noon, post before midnight”

Long before noon, the guiding eye took me to my Bullet Tip even before I saw that this thread had spontaneously embraced BT/FWMonday.

With minimal prep, loaded a little Arko for a face lather with my short n’ scrubby Zenith. Hydrated/lubricated for two quick passes. A close comfortable shave was all I needed to beat rush hour traffic and spend a day in the woods murdering scotch broom. I am very pleased that I have gotten enough Micromatic/Gem/Ever-Ready shaves to feel comfortable snatching a time-pressure shave with them.

Perfect!!! Thank you for participating and always enjoy your posts.

A belated Micromatic Monday report! I have been using my MMOC every day since I received it a few weeks ago. I have split my time roughly equally between PTFEs and twinjector blades. Both work well. The major difference I find is that the character of a PTFE changes notably from shave to shave (certainly not bad, but noticeable) whereas the injector blade has a very consistent character.

Switching to Gem razors (first the 1912 and now the MMOC) has been the last piece of the puzzle that has finally allowed me to shave every day, without looking like I’ve survived an assassination attempt. And not just every day, but ATG every day. I’ve been working towards this for a long time. I have now shaved daily for over a month and my face is starting to improve day to day, rather than steadily degrade to the point where I Must Stop.

On this week’s Micromatic Monday, I’ve used a PTFE with 5 shaves on it, in my MMOC. I have begun working on a puck of Musgo Real shave soap. The performance is unexpectedly good - you can get big fluff if you want, but it can also give you that thin, slick lather that’s so good with SE razors.

This is a very encouraging post for me. That you can now shave everyday safely is a significant, not to be under appreciated milestone. Congratulations. :a50::a50:

A belated Micromatic Monday report! I have been using my MMOC every day since I received it a few weeks ago. I have split my time roughly equally between PTFEs and twinjector blades. Both work well. The major difference I find is that the character of a PTFE changes notably from shave to shave (certainly not bad, but noticeable) whereas the injector blade has a very consistent character.

Switching to Gem razors (first the 1912 and now the MMOC) has been the last piece of the puzzle that has finally allowed me to shave every day, without looking like I’ve survived an assassination attempt. And not just every day, but ATG every day. I’ve been working towards this for a long time. I have now shaved daily for over a month and my face is starting to improve day to day, rather than steadily degrade to the point where I Must Stop.

On this week’s Micromatic Monday, I’ve used a PTFE with 5 shaves on it, in my MMOC. I have begun working on a puck of Musgo Real shave soap. The performance is unexpectedly good - you can get big fluff if you want, but it can also give you that thin, slick lather that’s so good with SE razors.

I'd like to see what the razor looks like with the twinjector blades in it. Could you please post a picture with cap open and closed.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
IMG_1713.jpg
Under "better late than never" rubric, here is my Tardy Tuesday GEMonday shave!!!!

2 passes by the GEM Push Button and 1 pass plus a light touch-up from the Feather Weight got to a CCS-DFS-BBS. The soap was Men's Soap Company Bay Rum, and the aftershave speaks for itself. The two razors each shared the same blade (GEM SS PTFE with 2 shaves on it).

The rest of the week will probably be the GEM Push Button going solo. I had thought of positioning this as a Darth vs Obi-Wan shave :a45:
but it was more of an awesome buddy-shave :a17:

Last edited:
View attachment 976984 Under "better late than never" rubric, here is my Tardy Tuesday GEMonday shave!!!!

2 passes by the GEM Push Button and 1 pass plus a light touch-up from the Feather Weight got to a CCS-DFS-BBS. The soap was Men's Soap Company Bay Rum, and the aftershave speaks for itself. The two razors each shared the same blade (GEM SS PTFE with 2 shaves on it).

The rest of the week will probably be the GEM Push Button going solo. I had thought of positioning this as a Darth vs Obi-Wan shave :a45:

I am glad you are enjoying the PB, Fred. :)

View attachment 976984 Under "better late than never" rubric, here is my Tardy Tuesday GEMonday shave!!!!

Nice setup.
How close would you rate the two razors?

Flintstone65

Check out the lot of lather catchers in BST
A huge vintage razor clearing.
Thanks, I have seen it and two things held me back: 1) I have 3 out of 4 of those LC's, but honestly what really held me back is that I've just acquired a bunch (6 to be precise) Pal Injecto-matics (several Brits). I first fell off the RAD wagon when a beautiful GEM Lather Catcher (Not GEM Jr or New GEM) with a beautiful wedge blade and in a pristine case came to me from another forum's BST. So I'm desperately trying to "cool off" again :117:

Thanks, I have seen it and two things held me back: 1) I have 3 out of 4 of those LC's, but honestly what really held me back is that I've just acquired a bunch (6 to be precise) Pal Injecto-matics (several Brits). I first fell off the RAD wagon when a beautiful GEM Lather Catcher (Not GEM Jr or New GEM) with a beautiful wedge blade and in a pristine case came to me from another forum's BST. So I'm desperately trying to "cool off" again :117:

I am just too busy, and too backlogged on razors to use, to have time for RAD at the moment. I do try to stop in an antique store every once in a while, hoping for the thrill of a wild find. I learn interesting things about the market from the proprietors some times. I’m told that we have one antique store in the area that is specializing in shave gear, so any wild find at a good price means you have beaten that gentleman to the finish line.

Flintstone65

Nice setup.
How close would you rate the two razors?
They are VERY close to me -- but I think the Feather Weight may be slightly more efficient. I may revise that after just using the PB for the next few days, but we'll see. I do like the Push Button -- it adds to the "cool factor", and my PB is in MUCH better shape than my Feather Weight (much of the gold wash has washed off).

I am interested in your thoughts on what, specifically, it is about this closed-comb design that makes it less prone to clogging than its open-combed predecessor?
Creams get stuck inside the open comb making it more difficult to clean. The closed bar eliminates this problem.

Last edited:
I had forgotten I had this ad describing GEM's intent for introducing the "clog pruf". This might help answer @Theodore 's question. Notice the co-advertisement with Barbasol.
GEM Clog.jpg

For today's shave I gave the Gem push button conture and the Gillette thin cap a second chance. I'm not sorry I did. As expected this was a wonderful shave, my previous bad shave with these two was undoubtedly the result of over working my skin in the shave previous to the bad shave.

Hot shower and Noxzema pre-shave
Gem push button Contour with gem SS PTFE second flip
Gillette thin cap with Bluebird third use
Omega Boar with Cella and dragons blood mix.
Witch hazel mixed with Tolsom aftershave splash.

Very comfortable close shave without over doing it. I gave both razors a shot at first and second pass and some light cleanup buffing. The Gillette is definitely more efficient but the Gem feels smoother.

20190502_115914.jpg

Top Bottom