What's new

Micromatic Monday

After WW2 Gem was a little confused about marketing decisions. They revamped the Clog-Pruf whose production was stopped in 1943 due to material shortage. They felt they had to come with something "new" to regain some market share due to the almighty popularity of Gilette and the rising success of the Schick Injector. So they came with that silly, soon abandoned, idea of the "guiding eye" and the bullet-shaped knob. Finally, in 1950, they launched a completely new generation of razors, the "Flat-Top", in its first US iteration, the "Feather Weight".

After WW2 Gem was a little confused about marketing decisions. They revamped the Clog-Pruf whose production was stopped in 1943 due to material shortage. They felt they had to come with something "new" to regain some market share due to the almighty popularity of Gilette and the rising success of the Schick Injector. So they came with that silly, soon abandoned, idea of the "guiding eye" and the bullet-shaped knob. Finally, in 1950, they launched a completely new generation of razors, the "Flat-Top", in its first US iteration, the "Feather Weight".

Grazie @mata_66. Interesting explanation.

If your "bullet tip" has the guiding eye (the small etched dot on the top cap) it's a 1947 model
If the bullet tip has no guiding eye it could be either a 1948 or 1949
If it has an off-white plastic knob you have one of the rare 1950 version. People say Gem wanted to experiment with that new plastic before they used it for the handle of the Feather Weight. Other say it was to cut production costs but I don't see how much you could save with that move. After all, it's a couple of grams of brass.

If your "bullet tip" has the guiding eye (the small etched dot on the top cap) it's a 1947 model
If the bullet tio has no guiding eye it could be either a 1948 or 1949
If it has an off-white plastic knob you have one of the rare 1950 version. People say Gem wanted to experiment with that new plastic before they used for the handle of the Feather Weight. Other say it was to cut production costs but I don't see how much you could save with that move. After all, it's a couple of grams of brass.
Mine is with the guiding eye. I am doing my best to like it, but it is not going that well.

Hi all,

Ummmm, interesting indeed. My "Bullet Tip/Flying Wing" has NO "Guiding Eye".
So, I suspect it's made after 1947 ?
proxy.php

SixCats!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Hey all!! Thank you for participating in MM. You razors are exceptional and the photography outstanding. Have heard from our leader @Flintstone65, or have we?
My Micromatic Monday will be on the extreme late side — which means it’ll be a Tardy Tuesday — but I’ve got a couple of Gems lined up, and I’ve been truly enjoying everyone’s excellent experiences posted here. I’ll post up my Tardy Tuesday GEMonday tomorrow....I promise!!!

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I have to say that you guys really make me want to press my Micromatic Bullet Tip into service....I really do enjoy the shave I get from mine!!! So many GEMs, so few days to shave!

My Micromatic Monday will be on the extreme late side — which means it’ll be a Tardy Tuesday — but I’ve got a couple of Gems lined up, and I’ve been truly enjoying everyone’s excellent experiences posted here. I’ll post up my Tardy Tuesday GEMonday tomorrow....I promise!!!
Well brother, happy Tardy Tuesday.....:a50:

“Shave before noon, post before midnight”

Long before noon, the guiding eye took me to my Bullet Tip even before I saw that this thread had spontaneously embraced BT/FWMonday.

With minimal prep, loaded a little Arko for a face lather with my short n’ scrubby Zenith. Hydrated/lubricated for two quick passes. A close comfortable shave was all I needed to beat rush hour traffic and spend a day in the woods murdering scotch broom. I am very pleased that I have gotten enough Micromatic/Gem/Ever-Ready shaves to feel comfortable snatching a time-pressure shave with them.

Theo, I'm glad to hear you enjoy your MMOC. I guess I'll just have to give the MMOC a bit more time to get the "feel/handling" down. Man, it sure gave me a CLOSE Shave!

Oh yeah, it gets Close. I have never used a razor that gets as close as the MMOC. I assume they exist, but it’s hard to conceive of.

. Yes indeed! I will more than likely shave either Sunday or Monday and I will post my thoughts on my second use of the MMOC. Oooh Theo, Man, your not going to this but, shortly after my posting and mentioning that I had purchased a ROLLS Razor earlier in the day, I late afternoon visited another Antique Store in my travels.
I realize I'm a bit CRAZY but, I purchased a SECOND ROLLS Razor! The case on this Razor is not quite as nice as the first (but still pretty nice) and this Razor came with one blade only. However, the second ROLLS is also in OUTSTANDING condition and.....it has all the original lit/instructions! I again paid twelve dollars (and 66 cents) for the second ROLLS Razor. I will later search the Serial Numbers and see if anything interesting comes up.

Makes perfect sense to me! You hear GEMS referred to as “straights on a stick”, and so it’s a natural progression to be interested in the Rolls, a very literal Straight On A Stick. I eye them off sometimes too :) Have fun down that rabbit hole, I may join you one day.

Your MMOC was designed to be used with soap. Later, GEM introduced the solid bar so the new fangled cream wouldn't clog.

Sir, would you please explain what it is about the solid bar that helps with clogging? I imagine you are right, but I can’t figure out why.

A belated Micromatic Monday report! I have been using my MMOC every day since I received it a few weeks ago. I have split my time roughly equally between PTFEs and twinjector blades. Both work well. The major difference I find is that the character of a PTFE changes notably from shave to shave (certainly not bad, but noticeable) whereas the injector blade has a very consistent character.

Switching to Gem razors (first the 1912 and now the MMOC) has been the last piece of the puzzle that has finally allowed me to shave every day, without looking like I’ve survived an assassination attempt. And not just every day, but ATG every day. I’ve been working towards this for a long time. I have now shaved daily for over a month and my face is starting to improve day to day, rather than steadily degrade to the point where I Must Stop.

On this week’s Micromatic Monday, I’ve used a PTFE with 5 shaves on it, in my MMOC. I have begun working on a puck of Musgo Real shave soap. The performance is unexpectedly good - you can get big fluff if you want, but it can also give you that thin, slick lather that’s so good with SE razors.

I have come to a personal understanding that injectors and gem razors offer the same quality of shaves.

Similarities :
1. Gem and injector razors offer different level of aggressions. Each user can be pleased.
2. Almost same technique. Flat on skin.
3. There are gem razors which are light like injectors also. (featherweight for example).

Differences :
1.Injectors are more maneuverable especially under the nose
2. Injectors have more blade options (my perception)

No system is better. Both are excellent.

Top Bottom