What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Gold plate. Chrome plated GEM/Ever Ready razors are quite difficult to strip down to brass.
+1 on this. I've seen a lot of disclaimers from guys who will replate almost anything, but they tend to balk at Chrome. When I've asked, the difficult stripping process is the answer I get.

@Tanuki, I'm late to the brass or gold party, but my experience has been that brass tarnishes very quickly....especially in the shave environment. So while my old eyes can be confused by polished brass, it gets darker and tarnished after one shave....and that's from a guy who polishes who stuff so much that I should own stock in Flitz.

To the best of my knowledge. The brass ones are the Gold plated ones that the gold has worn off. Some places will re-plate them but I like the brass. The chrome ones can have brass showing through but the deeper groves hold the chrome. Most companies I've seen won't re-plate a chrome because it is hard to remove. If you have a worn gold plated one and want to strip the remaining plating, Bar keepers friend will strip it off very effectively.

Flintstone65

Greetings all -- sorry I'm so late to the party. As promised, today's shave was a daily double with my ER 1924 (aka "Shovel Head") and the GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf. Both are truly excellent razors. The Shovel Head took the 1st and 2nd pass of a solid 2-day beard growth, and made short work of it after just the first pass. The Clog-Pruf batted clean-up with a 3rd pass. The clean-up wasn't really necessary, but it took it from a DFS to a full-on BBS. It was also menthol Monday (hence the soap and aftershave), and my face felt smooth and completely irritation-free. I've prattled on about the Shovel Head earlier in this thread, so I'll leave it at that. The tiny handle works fine for me, but I'm going to try it with a bamboo-style DE handle the next time out. I suspect the added length and weight will make it feel like a doppelganger of a Micromatic. Here's the details and pic:

1924 Ever-Ready (aka the "Shovel Head") with a GEM SS/PTFE on it's 7th shave
GEM Micromatic Clog-Pruf with a Treet Carbon Steel on it's 6th shave
Maggard's 28mm Plissoft Beehive brush
Stirling Margarita's in the Artic
Krampert's Finest Frostbite aftershave
SOTD 2.11.2019v1.jpg

Flintstone65

You and Fred sure are making some great photo's with great gear to boot.
Thanks!!! I shot mine on a wrinkled white dress shirt -- I was surprised that it actually turned out looking a little artsy!
@bigjeffb, now that is artsy....and well done!!! I've been known to have a little fun with photo software too.

Flintstone65

Doubt it will be here in time for this Monday but just grabbed this beauty and am about to order some GEM coated blades (any suggestions on best supplier?)

Kind of a Happy Valentine's to myself to go along with the Bob Hope GEM ad my wife got me for Valentine's.

Beautiful -- you've got an awesome Valentine (both gift and giver)!!!

Doubt it will be here in time for this Monday but just grabbed this beauty and am about to order some GEM coated blades (any suggestions on best supplier?)

Kind of a Happy Valentine's to myself to go along with the Bob Hope GEM ad my wife got me for Valentine's.

GEM - Stainless Steel PTFE Coated - $0.50 each - Double Edge Razor Blade

I'm excited. Joining the club soon with a gold plated MMOC. Currently deciding between 2 or buying both. One is a bumpless model (older) and the other a model with the bumps. Should be interesting as I only have 4 months of DE experience, granted my Mamba is getting me use to shallow angle shaving.

I'm excited. Joining the club soon with a gold plated MMOC. Currently deciding between 2 or buying both. One is a bumpless model (older) and the other a model with the bumps. Should be interesting as I only have 4 months of DE experience, granted my Mamba is getting me use to shallow angle shaving.
Welcome :a29:

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You might have a few rough shaves at first and then you will have you technique dialed in and you will enjoy them IMO, I had reserved thoughts at first but it was easy and the results were stellar IMO.
Gem instruction manual (2).jpg Gem procedure (2).jpg

Micromatic/GEMonday here I come!

Thank you Zoost, for sending these beauties on the next leg of their journey.
1C84A389-F5EC-4187-8BAA-D1A6B36B96B0.jpeg

It might even be Featherweight Friday.

Flintstone65

Welcome....glad you'll be joining us!!!! I had slightly less time as a DE shaver when @Twelvefret shone the SE-light in my eyes and I've never looked back!!! These are great razors, and the MMOC (whether with or without bumps -- I've got both) really gives me an outstanding shave!!!

Top Bottom