What's new

Micromatic Monday

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
Micromatic/GEMonday here I come!

Thank you Zoost, for sending these beauties on the next leg of their journey.
View attachment 952923

It might even be Featherweight Friday.
Man, those are beautiful!!! I've said it before and I'll say it again....you did well with that BST, my friend!!! And I don't want to upset the Mods or corrupt this thread, so now I'm stepping over to another area of the forum to compliment you on another acquisition (which I was also seriously coveting....you and I share a lot of tastes in our RAD). If you do have a Featherweight Friday, let us know how it goes....I still haven't broken mine out yet....I've got a 1924 ER shave with a DE handle slated for tomorrow.

Welcome....glad you'll be joining us!!!! I had slightly less time as a DE shaver when @Twelvefret shone the SE-light in my eyes and I've never looked back!!! These are great razors, and the MMOC (whether with or without bumps -- I've got both) really gives me an outstanding shave!!!

Thanks for the welcome. Hope I have the same experience. Wouldn't mind this being my end all razor.

Do you guys have any tips on cleaning/disinfecting these? From what I understand if you even look at these wrong the gold plating will wear off.

Thanks for the welcome. Hope I have the same experience. Wouldn't mind this being my end all razor.

Do you guys have any tips on cleaning/disinfecting these? From what I understand if you even look at these wrong the gold plating will wear off.
I use toothpaste with a light touch if necessary, but more often Dawn with warm water and an old toothbrush lightly. Dawn has an antibacterial form if that's a concern. Or Clorox https://www.clorox.com/how-to/disin...g-with-bleach/sanitizing-dishes-using-bleach/

Flintstone65

I'm a bit of a germaphobe -- many on this forum would say that's an understatement -- so take the following with a big grain of salt, but here's my post-purchase cleaning process:
  1. I always start with Scrubbing Bubbles (the one without bleach) -- I spray the foam stuff on the razor (unscrew the razor if it's multi-piece, or open the doors if it's a TTO) and I let it sit for 10 minutes, then lightly scrub/brush using a used/old (soft-bristled) toothbrush
  2. Rinse the SB off in hot tap water, and apply some Dawn to the toothbrush and give it another scrubbing
  3. To thoroughly sanitize -- like the above hasn't already done that -- I use Lysol (this is the concentrated form), and it gets mixed (don't use it pure) in a strong concentration. For me, that is a tablespoon to a about 2 cups of hot water. If the razor mechanisms seem sluggish, I will boil some water, let it cool down for about 2 minutes, and use that for my hot water, otherwise I'll just use the hot tap. I let it sit in the water for 15 minutes.
  4. I thoroughly rinse off the razor under the hot water tap one more time. I dry thoroughly with a microfiber towel and give it some good shakes to try and fling the water out.
  5. Last step for me is to shine it up using Flitz metal polisher. Flitz is really mild and I haven't had any issues with it, even when I've accidentally put it on silver-plate or even gold-plate. That said, if it's sterling silver I use actual silver polish, and if it's gold plated, I'll generally leave it alone. Most of the time my gold plate is gone and it's really just the brass. My eyesight isn't what it used to be, so unless the gold plate is in great shape, I usually assume it's brass and apply the Flitz.
I haven't harmed/changed a razor's finish yet, using the above products, so I feel like it's pretty safe. Here are some things I've learned and avoid:
  1. Bleach. I really like it's disinfectant properties, but I learned that hospitals actually use Lysol concentrate, and I suspect it is gentler than bleach. No disrespect to the bleach users, I had just read some threads where people felt it had done some damage, so I avoid it. I had toyed with the idea of trying it, but then discovered the Lysol.
  2. Boiling water. I've done some real damage with overly hot water and bakelite. Metals don't seem to mind the hot water -- although you should never boil your razors, in general -- but bakelite and plastic can actually have problems with their finish or just change shapes. So I'm careful about using hot, but not right off the stove boiling water.
  3. Barkeepers Friend / Bon Ami type cleansers. I've never tried it, but I have been told by several folks that if you want to remove a finish, then these will do it. So I avoid them because whether it's nickel, chrome, silver or gold, I'm not really looking to physically take off the finish.
One last thing....I like Scrubbing Bubbles (SB), it hasn't done me wrong yet, but I must admit that Dawn with a toothbrush would probably do it. If you have Barbicide/Marvyside or use Lysol for a soak, you're definitely there; but I'm not sure that's really necessary. As is often pointed out to me, if you eat at a restaurant and use their utensils (which go inside your mouth), you really don't need to sweat using a Dawn-cleaned razor on your face, especially since it's the blade that is on the skin.

One last last thing -- I'll sometimes do a quick swish of the razor in 99% Isopropyl....after the final rinse from the Lysol. In addition to one more sanitizing check, it also helps remove the water and dries faster. Okay, I've let my "freak" hang out here once again with my crazy cleaning frenzy; but it has helped me make my peace with buying and using razors that have gone through goodness knows what....and maybe it can help you too. I would just say that any recommendations need to just make you comfortable with using your razor.

*Phew* Any questions? :lol1:

Thanks. Didn't realize it was safe to use bleach on these. Scrubbing bubbles should also be fine?
May not be safe. I’ve never been concerned about bacteria and viruses on metal that is clean and unused for a long time. A quick splash and rinse under running water might be an option.

This stuff (or a bigger bottle of Barbicide) can be found at Sally Beauty, back right corner after you go in (I’ve been told they all have the same layout). Dilute 64:1, soak the razor head 10 minutes, no more, hot rinse thoroughly. Peace of mind!
A9CDC6DD-94AD-46BC-B10B-8D6E4E681A0D.jpeg

That said, Fred is an encyclopedia!

This stuff (or a bigger bottle of Barbicide) can be found at Sally Beauty, back right corner after you go in (I’ve been told they all have the same layout). Dilute 64:1, soak the razor head 10 minutes, no more, hot rinse thoroughly. Peace of mind!
View attachment 953122

I've never heard of Sally Beauty but a quick search turned up quite a few locations nearby. Thanks for the tip.

Flintstone65

View attachment 953122

Thanks!!! This is a great tip, and Sally Beauty Supply is getting to be like Starbucks -- I've got several in my neck of the woods!!!

SOTD Featherweight Friday - 2/15

1 New to me GEM Featherweight, plus an MMOC cameo
2 GEM (13) flipped - lucky?
3 Zenith B17 - short n scrubby for a fine face lather
4 Ogallala Bay Rum Stick (plus sage and cedar)

ACDC87C2-06B8-4E23-80A0-441C4B00B11D.jpeg

The Featherweight arrived in yesterday’s mail call. It really wanted to stretch its legs after traveling from Alaska in that tiny box. The shave stick has been glowering at me from the cabinet for months. Fast face lather under time pressure was the order of the day. Ogallala Bay Rum finally gets a look in!

A little aromatherapy helps the stubble relax when the clock is ticking AND a newly acquired, radically low mass razor is in the mix. I am not going to claim to already be a contender in the featherweight class, but I got to DFS in the time allotted. Then I had to ponder. Was this GEM blade at its last rodeo? Or was it my inexperience in this weight class? I mounted the GEM on the MMOC for touch up.

No definitive answer, but the blade will ride again, coming out of the chute on the MMCP next Micromatic Monday!

Flintstone65

View attachment 953296

The Featherweight arrived in yesterday’s mail call. It really wanted to stretch its legs after traveling from Alaska in that tiny box. The shave stick has been glowering at me from the cabinet for months. Fast face lather under time pressure was the order of the day. Ogallala Bay Rum finally gets a look in!

A little aromatherapy helps the stubble relax when the clock is ticking AND a newly acquired, radically low mass razor is in the mix. I am not going to claim to already be a contender in the featherweight class, but I got to DFS in the time allotted. Then I had to ponder. Was this GEM blade at its last rodeo? Or was it my inexperience in this weight class? I mounted the GEM on the MMOC for touch up.

No definitive answer, but the blade will ride again, coming out of the chute on the MMCP next Micromatic Monday!
A DFS sounds pretty good for a first time out....more time at the "gym" (aka the den) with your GEM, and you'll be a Featherweight contender before you know it!!! Looking forward to your Micromatic Monday shave!!!

A DFS sounds pretty good for a first time out....more time at the "gym" (aka the den) with your GEM, and you'll be a Featherweight contender before you know it!!! Looking forward to your Micromatic Monday shave!!!

You have to understand that, sporting a beard and mustache, I’m cheating! Pretty easy to get to DFS on just cheeks and neck - especially if I suppress the inspection report on the neck swirls.

So, yeah, need to put in some gym sessions. :a11:

View attachment 953296

The more I read about the feather weight the more I want one. And that was a fun to read wright up. Thanks for sharing you experience. I think for me the featherweight is definitely a case of judging a book by it's cover. (I really don't care for the looks of it.) But the more I read the less unattractive it becomes.

Flintstone65

The more I read about the feather weight the more I want one. And that was a fun to read wright up. Thanks for sharing you experience. I think for me the featherweight is definitely a case of judging a book by it's cover. (I really don't care for the looks of it.) But the more I read the less unattractive it becomes.
I know what you mean, the plastic handle Gems (or any razor with a fair amount of plastic) really don't call to me like the full-on brass ones do. That said, several folks who I greatly respect have written some high praise for both the Featherweight and the Push Button....so of course, I have a Featherweight and a Push Button waiting to be put to work!

Flintstone65

You have to understand that, sporting a beard and mustache, I’m cheating! Pretty easy to get to DFS on just cheeks and neck - especially if I suppress the inspection report on the neck swirls.

So, yeah, need to put in some gym sessions. :a11:
Excellent use of emoji!!!

@Flintstone65 I think the looks of the push button grew on me faster, the black plastic verses the white plastic just looks better to me.
That Being said I would probably pick up the featherweight first owing to @Ron R and his review of how good it is for the taming of a new blade.

I know what you mean, the plastic handle Gems (or any razor with a fair amount of plastic) really don't call to me like the full-on brass ones do. That said, several folks who I greatly respect have written some high praise for both the Featherweight and the Push Button....so of course, I have a Featherweight and a Push Button waiting to be put to work!
I love the PB and think you will. :) It's got the cool factor like a "57 Chevy.

Top Bottom