What's new

Micromatic Monday

Welcome "officially"!!! I think @McKinneys has a magic blade -- I've found my blades really sort of "leave me" around the 11th shave....sometimes the 12th; but I just don't love the later shaves. It's quite a bell-curve for me....the very first ones and the very last ones aren't great, but the ones in the middle are definitely worth the entry-and-exit costs.

As for between-shaves blade storage, please let me know if you discover a method you like. I always just replace/reuse the little cardboard sheath that I have taped around the bevel, and then put it in the storage container where a subset of razors live....it makes for a lot of handling and I don't love it, but I prefer to not store the blade in the razor, so that's my method at the moment.
I clean and dry off completely then place in inside the MMOC case.

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
I clean and dry off completely then place in inside the MMOC case.
Sure, rub it in that you've got a case for your MMOC :001_302:!!! HEY -- Can you see what I'm typing???? I hadn't hit send on this and suddenly an opportunity for a case has shown up!!! :117:

In any case (hee hee, see what I did there?) -- very nice setup today, brother-man. I don't think I even realized you had a 1912. I haven't tried mine yet....how do you think it compares to your MMOC?

Glad you joined in today! I completely agree about the smoothness of the carbon blades -- I don't think anything beats them right out of the package.

How many haves do you usually get from your carbon? I'm using Treet's and so far it's around 7 to 8 shaves for me.
The most I usually get is about 8. Stainless can get way more but I find the stainless to feel less keen and lack smoothness. I also prefer carbon steel for straight razors, I just don't like the blade feel for stainless.

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Good morning on this very cold morning up in Northern Canada -32 C.
Razor: GEM Clog Pruf
Blade : Gem Personna SS PTFE (10)
Soap:Barrister & Mann
Brush: Razorock Plissoft Noir 400
Preshave: warm wet face cloth 40 seconds approx X 2 + Aloe vera gel
Post shave: Alum block + cold water rinse
Post shave: FINE fresh Vetiver + witch hazel 1:4 ratio + Nivea balm(very dry air when it gets this cold)
Good shave considering the blade was on it's 10th shave and had traveled from Mexico salty air.
I sure noticed when I'm out of my comfort zone for shaving like lighting and water quality....!
Micromatic MondayClog pruf feb 11-2019  (2).jpg

Have some great GEM shaves!

Post shave: FINE fresh Vetiver + witch hazel 1:4 ratio + Nivea balm(very dry air when it gets this cold)
Good shave considering the blade was on it's 10th shave and had traveled from Mexico salty air.
I sure noticed when I'm out of my comfort zone for shaving like lighting and water quality....!
View attachment 951737
:a14:

Micromatic Monday - 2/11 an MMOC RLS
(Relaxed, Luxurious Shave)

1 My trusty MMOC (finally qualifies for ‘trusty’)
2 GEM (12) flipped - refuses to quit
3 Zenith B5 - tall loft by my standards
4 BOSC SR AC - magic mentholated protective mad scientist soap/croap, lathered in the 4oz SS prep bowl/pseudo-scuttle
5 Alum block
6 Hazel Hop Husker homebrew AS

Chillin’ together post-shave:
30643A77-57D6-4E50-8C8B-58EDE6D534EC.jpeg

This was a ‘perfect storm’ shave. If you really like storms, that is.

The elements:
> 2.5 days of careful stubble propagation
> a morning shave - so traditional
> an empty house - no time pressure or kibitzing
> a long contemplative shower
> the right equipment at the perfect point in the learning curve, solid technique but still plenty to discover

The MMOC and this seemingly immortal blade delivered a very close, very comfortable shave in the usual two passes plus touch up on the swirly spots. Aced the alum test! One of those shaves which encourages appreciative (narcissistic?) neck and cheek stroking for an hour or two.

On the blade storage topic-du-jour: I carefully dry then flip my GEM blade into the MMOC, the default blade storage silo. I’m generally an SE guy only on Mondays so the blade will rest a week, unless there is a new SE razor in the house.

Most Mondays I quickly drag each side of the blade down the back of my forearm just before popping it back into the razor for storage. Is this practice a technique or a superstition? I don’t know just where or when I picked it up, but somehow SE shaving triggered me to revive it from the mists of my DE past.

Below is a little item I’ve kept in inventory for about 40 years, in spite of never having gotten any effective use out of it. When I bought it (used/junk, not ‘antique’) I didn’t yet realize I was a shaving enthusiast. Self-knowledge is slow, sometimes 4 decades slow.

If the current GEM blade ever gets its gold watch, I may try this dumb hone out once again and give the blade a one-shave contract. If the hone works on a nice stiff SE blade I will die (happy) of shock. Maybe the hone’s only problem was the wimpy thinness of the modern DEs I tested on it.
50B70DB5-B2EB-4382-B5A2-D3DD4E8CBF71.jpeg

93450262-5DC5-433E-83FD-18F0F104A587.jpeg

The rabbit hole will only get deeper if I search out carbon SE and DE blades for advanced research...

Wow 16 shaves. I used my MMCP today with a Gem stainless blade 11th flip and retired it. I think it was damaged slightly the other day when I dropped it. I need to find a better way to store it between shaves. Better the blade dropping than the razor though.
Here is my first official Micromatic Monday shave.
Gem stainless 11th flip
Gem MMCP
Cells
Black badger in an ebony handle I made.
Not the best shave I've ever had but still better than most cartridge shaves.

View attachment 951712

Lovely brush! I really appreciate seeing how you shaped and united the handle and the base for the knot. Black on black is seriously classy too! I am lurking on the brush-making threads, biding my time until my lathe can come outside and play.

Micromatic Monday - 2/11 an MMOC RLS
(Relaxed, Luxurious Shave)

1 My trusty MMOC (finally qualifies for ‘trusty’)
2 GEM (12) flipped - refuses to quit
3 Zenith B5 - tall loft by my standards
4 BOSC SR AC - magic mentholated protective mad scientist soap/croap, lathered in the 4oz SS prep bowl/pseudo-scuttle
5 Alum block
6 Hazel Hop Husker homebrew AS

Chillin’ together post-shave:
View attachment 951818

This was a ‘perfect storm’ shave. If you really like storms, that is.

The elements:
> 2.5 days of careful stubble propagation
> a morning shave - so traditional
> an empty house - no time pressure or kibitzing
> a long contemplative shower
> the right equipment at the perfect point in the learning curve, solid technique but still plenty to discover

The MMOC and this seemingly immortal blade delivered a very close, very comfortable shave in the usual two passes plus touch up on the swirly spots. Aced the alum test! One of those shaves which encourages appreciative (narcissistic?) neck and cheek stroking for an hour or two.

On the blade storage topic-du-jour: I carefully dry then flip my GEM blade into the MMOC, the default blade storage silo. I’m generally an SE guy only on Mondays so the blade will rest a week, unless there is a new SE razor in the house.

Most Mondays I quickly drag each side of the blade down the back of my forearm just before popping it back into the razor for storage. Is this practice a technique or a superstition? I don’t know just where or when I picked it up, but somehow SE shaving triggered me to revive it from the mists of my DE past.

Below is a little item I’ve kept in inventory for about 40 years, in spite of never having gotten any effective use out of it. When I bought it (used/junk, not ‘antique’) I didn’t yet realize I was a shaving enthusiast. Self-knowledge is slow, sometimes 4 decades slow.

If the current GEM blade ever gets its gold watch, I may try this dumb hone out once again and give the blade a one-shave contract. If the hone works on a nice stiff SE blade I will die (happy) of shock. Maybe the hone’s only problem was the wimpy thinness of the modern DEs I tested on it.
View attachment 951831
View attachment 951832

The rabbit hole will only get deeper if I search out carbon SE and DE blades for advanced research...

That little blade hone is the berries. :)

Welcome "officially"!!! I think @McKinneys has a magic blade -- I've found my blades really sort of "leave me" around the 11th shave....sometimes the 12th; but I just don't love the later shaves. It's quite a bell-curve for me....the very first ones and the very last ones aren't great, but the ones in the middle are definitely worth the entry-and-exit costs.

As for between-shaves blade storage, please let me know if you discover a method you like. I always just replace/reuse the little cardboard sheath that I have taped around the bevel, and then put it in the storage container where a subset of razors live....it makes for a lot of handling and I don't love it, but I prefer to not store the blade in the razor, so that's my method at the moment.

I've read that using a Gem light weight for the first shave on a new blade .An be a good way to break them in. I believe it was in a post by @Ron R .

Lovely brush! I really appreciate seeing how you shaped and united the handle and the base for the knot. Black on black is seriously classy too! I am lurking on the brush-making threads, biding my time until my lathe can come outside and play.

Thank you. I am learning alot about making brushes that one is about 10 yaers old. And I may be making a new handle for that knot. It isn't set as deep as it should be. The Brush Making and Restorations thread has been extremely informative.

Thank you @Twelvefret . I really want to get an MMOC and bullet tip to match it. My current MMOC is chrome.

I really like the patina on that clog pruf. :)

OK, are the lovely brass Micromatics I see originally brass finish? Or are they gold-plated minus the plating? Or something else? :confused1

I suppose this should be on the Gem models thread, but I demand answers! :mad: (Voted least B&B emoji, 2018)

OK, are the lovely brass Micromatics I see originally brass finish? Or are they gold-plated minus the plating? Or something else? :confused1

I suppose this should be on the Gem models thread, but I demand answers! :mad: (Voted least B&B emoji, 2018)

Mine does not appear to be unplated brass. What do you think?

Attachments

• 8A988E79-FAAA-42D3-8AEE-7CBF7B63E099.jpeg
    8A988E79-FAAA-42D3-8AEE-7CBF7B63E099.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 10
  • CBB004DC-8EC6-49FD-BD97-3E84A64A114F.jpeg
    CBB004DC-8EC6-49FD-BD97-3E84A64A114F.jpeg
  • 6E2E5D97-9543-4440-AAB6-B47F2D895572.jpeg
    6E2E5D97-9543-4440-AAB6-B47F2D895572.jpeg
  • 9C6E5066-2C92-4A92-A836-A402160FDEB0.jpeg
    9C6E5066-2C92-4A92-A836-A402160FDEB0.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 10
I’m declaring yours to be ‘gold-plated and lacquered’. As if I knew anything about vintage Gems. Also, very nice condition! That, I can clearly see! :thumbup:

But what about jmudrick and GAW9576?

Meanwhile, I’m in Chromeville.

I’m declaring yours to be ‘gold-plated and lacquered’. As if I knew anything about vintage Gems. Also, very nice condition! That, I can clearly see! :thumbup:

But what about jmudrick and GAW9576?

Meanwhile, I’m in Chromeville.

Why thank you and I see some sort of plating also. Perhaps something thin like Gillette did on the late '30's Sheratons.

I've never polished mine. Just washed gently in hot water and Dawn.

Same color under the cap

Attachments

• B11119A9-9923-4425-B99E-ADD2B998E153.jpeg
    B11119A9-9923-4425-B99E-ADD2B998E153.jpeg
    1,008.5 KB · Views: 4
  • B1FC0519-E0A1-49BE-A274-828285944187.jpeg
    B1FC0519-E0A1-49BE-A274-828285944187.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 4

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
View attachment 951737
Very nice setup and great lather!!! I also really like the idea of dilute the FINE A/S with witch hazel. I like the FINE scents, but I find them strong and long-lasting for me. I was about to give up on them, but now I think I'll try your dilution recipe. And I agree about shaving in travel conditions...it's not the same at all.

Top Bottom