Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20211003_080652.jpg

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
ASRazor shave, OCtober 5th 2021

Razor: GEM Micromatic OC bump less model- Mfg 1930-32, excellent mid range, designed & built to last generations, this razor helped Gem Mfg get through the dirty 30's + first mass produced TTO & 3 or 4 years ahead of the Gillette TTO models.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (5) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable. Gem Personna Proprietary steel formula is better than any of the other SE blades for edge retention, longevity + cost per shave IMO.
Soap: Italian barber Amici, nice mild citrus scent + excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 22mm Cola Synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter & precision painting brush, also not a lather hog.
Pre shave: Brush wash my whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici with witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm( excellent + scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with Gem MMOC bump less model with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 5, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Last edited:
Monday's shave

I've been missing in action. Complicated OCtober triple today with one BMMOC and another Gem blade razor to kick off, then a Fatip Piccolo for the big finish.
The Ever-Ready brush was in the plan, but the SOC boar was given the full prep and shave. I was over-optimistic. The Semogue needs a lot more break-in.
9F91B42E-4A6D-4C47-9FAB-A2684BF935EE.jpeg

Even with runny Tabac lather, the PAA Starling gave me the best 1/2 of pass 1 that I have gotten from that razor to date. A solid A- grade for Starling.

Ron R

Monday's shave

I've been missing in action. Complicated OCtober triple today with one BMMOC and another Gem blade razor to kick off, then a Fatip Piccolo for the big finish.
The Ever-Ready brush was in the plan, but the SOC boar was given the full prep and shave. I was over-optimistic. The Semogue needs a lot more break-in.
View attachment 1340128
Even with runny Tabac lather, the PAA Starling gave me the best 1/2 of pass 1 that I have gotten from that razor to date. A solid A- grade for Starling.
A triple hat trick, I only did that once trying to imitate a Gem adjustable might be and used 3 different Gem razors for each pass of 3. Something different to do and might do it again someday. Sounds like your shave turned out well. :thumbup:

52440CC5-3F2E-4CAF-9A24-B2FD5DC17EEF.jpeg

Razor: GEM 1912
Blade: Gem SS PTFE (1)
Brush: Ever Ready 200T Boar - Badger mixed
Bowl: Captain’s Choice Copper
Soap: Tabac
Balm: Proraso Blue
Aftershave: Bootleggers Perfecto

The first shave with these blades is an adventure, but I did escape with only a little alum sting.

Ron R

MMMonday, OCtober 11th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic (AKA MMOC)- MFG-1930-41, excellent mid range, I get nice close shaves with this razor, built to last generations and was the first mass TTO introduced to the USA. This razor helped Gem MFG survive during the dirty 30's.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(6) excellent blade, very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely + predictable.
Soap: Razorock The Dead Sea, unique mid range scent, excellent lather qualities.
Brush: Yaqi 24mm 2 band badger barber pole handle, great handle for large hands, excellent lather generator, pillow like soft tips, nice scrub + good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush(24mm Cashmere)wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel face wash +Razorock The Dead Sea AS + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion(balm) excellent + scentless.
Results: CCS,DFS, BBs + no irritation + no weepers= :a17:Excellent shave with my MMOC with a coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 11, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Ever-Ready 1905 Lather Catcher 24 Blade Set
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20211010_081426.jpg

PXL_20211011_153813537-01.jpeg

GEM Junior / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Tabac, Tabac, and more Tabac

This razor confuses me a bit, though it's a very nice shaver. No fancy engraving work and only "GEM Junior" on the back of it, down near the handle attachment point. It certainly has a bar, but it doesn't say "GEM Jr. Bar". Is it a Junior Bar or just a Junior?

Ron R

View attachment 1343871
GEM Junior / GEM Personna SS PTFE
Simpsons Duke 3 in Best
Tabac, Tabac, and more Tabac

This razor confuses me a bit, though it's a very nice shaver. No fancy engraving work and only "GEM Junior" on the back of it, down near the handle attachment point. It certainly has a bar, but it doesn't say "GEM Jr. Bar". Is it a Junior Bar or just a Junior?
It is a different variant of the Gem Jr bar, It was the first model of these lather catchers and was later changed to the Gem Junior bar from my limited research.
I have both models, the Gem junior was well used( thousands of shaves to wear it out, I figured) and worn out but I fixed it up a little to make it useable again until a Gem Junior bar came along at a good price.
Gem jr bar Lather Cather scroll work. (2).jpg

Have some great shaves!

Micromatic Mon 18
Soap B&M The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M TFMOM Balm
Missed using this excellent soap and wow!! The scent is stout and aromatic! The lather is rich creamy and slick...
With the matching aftershave balm...will last the day...niceeee!!!
Missed using this excellent razor too! Paired with a fresh new blade...wow...very smooth, comfortable, and efficient in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues. Left with only 6 spare blades...hmmm
20211018_084527.jpg

Ron R

Micromatic Mon 18
Soap B&M The Full Measure of Man
Brush Yaqi 26mm Moka Express
Razor GEM Junior
Blade GEM Stainless 1st
Aftershaves Stirling Witchhazel Orange Chill + B&M TFMOM Balm
Missed using this excellent soap and wow!! The scent is stout and aromatic! The lather is rich creamy and slick...
With the matching aftershave balm...will last the day...niceeee!!!
Missed using this excellent razor too! Paired with a fresh new blade...wow...very smooth, comfortable, and efficient in 3passes for a mostly bbs finish without any issues. Left with only 6 spare blades...hmmm
View attachment 1347549
Nice shave, 6 blades would give me about 60 shaves. I buy my blades at Connaught shaving UK and they are a good company on line to deal with Chard. Looks like you dropped your Moka express 26mm with a piece missing :blue:. You can still crank out a nice lather ball, reminds me of the Dairy Queen soft ice cream with a cone. :thumbup:

Last edited:
Nice shave, 6 blades would give me about 60 shaves. I buy my blades at Connaught shaving UK and they are a good company on line to deal with Chard. Looks like you dropped your Moka express 26mm with a piece missing :blue:. You can still crank out a nice lather ball, reminds me of the Dairy Queen soft ice cream with a cone. :thumbup:
Hey, thanks for your kind words, Ron! Really appreciate it. Yes, I can get 10++ shaves per blade and I have also targetted Connaught for a loooong time...hahaha. They were out-of-stock for a while and are back in stock now. I kept considering getting it from them because their current shipping rate is so much more affordable compare to before...but kept procrastinating... 😆
Mine is just the GEM Stainless while Connaught's is coated...hopefully, better shave with it.

Yeah, I dropped the Moka way back in late 2019 or early 2020 and managed to glue back the parts I could find...and left a nice scar for chicks... 😝 I also dropped the Ruby Tuxedo too...and glued it back albeit with some scar again...

Top Bottom