What's new

Micromatic Monday

OCtober MMMonday

Once again, I needed a late night shave. But this was not a great idea. The brushless cream jar was covered with dust, for a good reason.

BMMOC / Gem PTFE (5)
Mollé Brushless Shave Cream
121F8859-3B38-4503-9234-6D2A5F417647.jpeg

A close enough shave for CCS, just not comfortable. Excellent $3 razor, PTFE blade in its prime. Seriously, who uses this cold cream-like product?

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
MMMonday, OCtober 18th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic OC, Mfg 1930-41, excellent mid range, some blade feel, works as good as the day it was made.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE (8) very sharp, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood, nice scent with good lather qualities, I load in my bowl and bring dryer lather to face and then add water as needed, it lathers in the bowl differently than most soaps I find.
Brush: Yaqi Goblin 24mm synthetic, excellent lather generator, cloud like soft tips, nice scrub + great lather painter.
Pre shave: brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Witch hazel beard wipe down +Ogallala Bayrum with sandal wood + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer balm(scentless)
Results: CCS,DFS,BBs + minor irritation + no weepers = :a17: excellent shave with my MMOC + a coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 18, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

20211017_083152.jpg

Razor: Gem 1912 Damaskeene Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder

Ron R

I did my first Micromatic Monday!
View attachment 1348114

The Contour was Sunday's razor. Many thanks to posts regarding using a GEM, which allowed me to have a fantastic shave!
Good to see you over here when using any ASR razor, The MMOC is a awesome mid range razor, The Contour would be a good razor to break in a new Gem blade to take advantage of the sharpness of the blade for the first couple of shaves. The Contour is considered a milder razor by some folks, don't own one yet.

Congratulations! You have found yet another rabbit hole. There's no turning back now...
Isn't that the truth! Already have 3 here, and 3 on the way. So inexpensive compared to some Gillettes.

I used a Clog Pruf this morning, but had to abandon it for the MMOC. I expected the Clog Pruf to be more mild, but it was feeling irritable, so I moved the blade back to the MMOC. Probably just my inexperience?

I used a recently acquired Personna 74 in my Gem Micromatic Open Comb late in the day yesterday. It provided a very smooth shave. Time will tell if the legendary of their longevity is true.
Also for people more familiar with the 74s. Is it normal for the dispenser to only say Personna? I thought it would say Personna 74.

IMG_20211024_121810128-01.jpeg

Ron R

MMMonday, OCtober 25th 2021

Razor: Gem Micromatic Clog Pruf, Peerless model- Mfg 1945, excellent mid range, of the 3 Micromatics I enjoy this one the most it seems. I usually get a great shave.
Blade: Gem Personna SS PTFE(9) excellent very sharp blade, great longevity, smooths out nicely, predictable.
Soap: Razorock Don Marco, nice citrus scent with excellent lather qualities. Experimenting with the water mister for improved lather.
Brush: Yaqi Viper 24mm boar brush- Excellent lather generator, spit end soft tips + nice scrubber & good lather painter.
Pre shave: Brush wash whole face with CeraVe hand bar cleanser + a dollop of clear Aloe Vera Gel on the cleaned beard area.
Prep: Cold water rinse after each pass of 2 + pickups.
Post shave: Italian barber Amici + witch hazel + a dollop of CeraVe moisturizer lotion balm + scentless. :thumbsup:
Results: CCS,DFS,BBS + no irritation + no weepers = :a17:excellent shave with my Gem Peerless MMCP + coated Gem blade.
SOTD, Oct 25, 2021.jpg

Have some great shaves!

Razor: Gem Micromatic Open Comb
Blade: Personna GEM PTFE Stainless Steel Blade
Brush: Rick Montalvo Grade A Silvertip Badger
Pre-Shave: Proraso White
Lather: Seaforth! Heather
Aftershave: Seaforth! Heather Aftershave Toner
Additional Care:
Thayers Facial Tonic Witch Hazel Unscented
Imperial Leather Talcum Powder
20211024_081953.jpg