What's new

Micromatic Monday

Because of the nice picture @luf2shave posted before, I changed my plan to shave with the MMCP today to shaving with the Micromatic bullet tip.
A very smooth shave with a GEM PTFE and Speick shaving cream, finishing off with Speick after shave.

Speick plus the bullet tip might be the ultimate face care combo ! Great setup to start the week !

Sent from my MI MAX using Tapatalk

About the same, just a different angle. Since I haven't been using anything besides straights, I am a bit rusty which points out how important our daily use and muscle memory become in whatever tool we choose.

Thank you for being a loyal Micromatic Monday participant and for promoting the often forgotten and misunderstood relics from the past. :shaving:
Thanks to you to get this Micromatic Monday thing going and infecting the rest of us !

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
Thanks to you to get this Micromatic Monday thing going and infecting the rest of us !
:eek6:
Last night bought my self a MMOC and some blades, I really enjoy my Schick and maybe the the GEM.
They had a good razor to stay in business that long and produce millions of razors & different models, yet know one talks to much about their razors that much(the price is sure right for a Gem SE with a little cleaning of a vintage razor).

Flintstone65

Imagining solutions for imaginary problems
My Micromatic Monday was with my MMOC, GEM PTFE blade, Cella and Razorock 24mm synthetic brush. This razor is soooo efficient and gives me a BBS shave that typically lasts well over 10 hours. I am having some difficulties with some razor burn in the neck area, which only gets 3 very light WTG passes, but it's only my 3rd shave with this razor and (4th for a SE) and my SE technique is still developing.
MM11-5-2018.jpg

My Micromatic Monday was with my MMOC, GEM PTFE blade, Cella and Razorock 24mm synthetic brush. This razor is soooo efficient and gives me a BBS shave that typically lasts well over 10 hours. I am having some difficulties with some razor burn in the neck area, which only gets 3 very light WTG passes, but it's only my 3rd shave with this razor and (4th for a SE) and my SE technique is still developing.
View attachment 925844
Nice my good friend. Thank you for participating in MM.

Last night bought my self a MMOC and some blades, I really enjoy my Schick and maybe the the GEM.
They had a good razor to stay in business that long and produce millions of razors & different models, yet know one talks to much about their razors that much(the price is sure right for a Gem SE with a little cleaning of a vintage razor).
You will love it. Just follow the vintage directions from GEM on how to use the Micromatic.

View attachment 925844

Awesome shave ! I had the neck issue earlier. I now hold the MMOC by its neck, short strokes and keep it as flat as possible and raising the handle just enough to feel the blade. I have now developed the muscle memory to let it go on auto pilot !

I dread what happens now when shaving with a DE !

Flintstone65

Awesome shave ! I had the neck issue earlier. I now hold the MMOC by its neck, short strokes and keep it as flat as possible and raising the handle just enough to feel the blade. I have now developed the muscle memory to let it go on auto pilot !

I dread what happens now when shaving with a DE !
Thank you for the advice....I'm definitely going to try that grip and shorter strokes. Most of the shave is really nice and really close; but I find keeping the right angle south of my chin difficult. I'm really looking forward to getting my technique dialed in and getting that muscle memory. It took me a while to feel that way with DE razors, so I know patience and experience is required. Thanks again, much appreciated!

True and we are so lucky that Personna makes a fantastic blade to go with them today ant these Gems are so cheap still on auction sites - most of my Gems have been purchased in the $5-$25 range including near mint condition !

Thank you for the advice....I'm definitely going to try that grip and shorter strokes. Most of the shave is really nice and really close; but I find keeping the right angle south of my chin difficult. I'm really looking forward to getting my technique dialed in and getting that muscle memory. It took me a while to feel that way with DE razors, so I know patience and experience is required. Thanks again, much appreciated!
You're most welcome my friend. This thread has initiated a lot of us in to the joy of shaving with the MMOC !

Ron R

I survived a lathey foreman
You will love it. Just follow the vintage directions from GEM on how to use the Micromatic.
I do like some of my vintage razors, it will be my first Gem razor. I bought 2 MMOC razors as part of the _bay deal, they look reasonable, one has issues and the other looks and works great.So in a 2-3 weeks I will be joining you folks on Mondays for a while. I already researched how to tear one down when I get the one that is seized up? They were well built from what I have noticed also.

True and we are so lucky that Personna makes a fantastic blade to go with them today ant these Gems are so cheap still on auction sites - most of my Gems have been purchased in the $5-$25 range including near mint condition !
There are some great deals out for sure, eye candy for the GEM RAD. The push button and G-bar, also Plastic white handled GEM razors are milder ones compared to the Micro Matics folks claim who use them have mentioned but very high efficiency. A razor that has high efficiency & mild aggression is defiantly a winner IMO.

6AC23BAF-F395-4838-B9C5-67687482A0B3.jpeg
Micromatic Monday approaches. I am committed to you all and the furtherance of awareness of the GEM brand for one pass tomorrow as I continue to use a SR.

Flintstone65

I'll be right there with you, brother! This will be my 6th straight shave with the MMOC as I'm starting to get my technique dialed in. I'm happy to say that thanks to some really great advice on this thread, I had the best MMOC shave on Friday, and I'm looking forward to replicating -- and maybe even improving on it -- on Monday.

I'll be right there with you, brother! This will be my 6th straight shave with the MMOC as I'm starting to get my technique dialed in. I'm happy to say that thanks to some really great advice on this thread, I had the best MMOC shave on Friday, and I'm looking forward to replicating -- and maybe even improving on it -- on Monday.

Congratulations on Friday's shave. Thank you for continuing to participate on MM. ;)

IMG_20181112_092509_20181112123640602.jpg
The Gem Micromatic OC - gold tone without the support bumps on the base plate - with a Gem PTFE on the 5th shave. Extremely smooth on two day old stubble.

I wanted to start a debate on the differences you all find between the shave aggression and smoothness of the MMOC without the two support bumps. AFAIK the support bumps appear only in the earlier Gold MMOC model. The later Micromatic razors including chrome plated MMOCs, all clog prufs and bullet tips have those blade support bumps and are pretty smooth razors without a bite to them.

Love to hear your experience please.

Have a great week ahead Gents !

View attachment 927442 The Gem Micromatic OC - gold tone without the support bumps on the base plate - with a Gem PTFE on the 5th shave. Extremely smooth on two day old stubble.

I wanted to start a debate on the differences you all find between the shave aggression and smoothness of the MMOC without the two support bumps. AFAIK the support bumps appear only in the earlier Gold MMOC model. The later Micromatic razors including chrome plated MMOCs, all clog prufs and bullet tips have those blade support bumps and are pretty smooth razors without a bite to them.

Happy MM?? Mine has the bumps. Now I am curious if the bumps do alter the experience. Thank you for participating.

View attachment 927442 The Gem Micromatic OC - gold tone without the support bumps on the base plate - with a Gem PTFE on the 5th shave. Extremely smooth on two day old stubble.

The bumps were added when GEM introduced their double edge blade. The blade had no spine, so the bumps raised the blade to the same angle as a blade with spine. After one edge went bad, you flip the blade around and use the other edge.

If you use the spineless blade in the bumpless MMOC, it will lay flat possibly making it more aggressive. You can despine a GEM blade easily with a pair of pliers and see how it performs. A despined blade shouldn't be any different in the MMOC with the bumps.

This is what I heard...

Last edited:
Top Bottom