What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Regardless of origin, I've never had an off season tomato I liked, all but tasteless IMO. I don't even bother with them anymore. In season personal garden or local farmers markets only.

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Regardless of origin, I've never had an off season tomato I liked, all but tasteless IMO. I don't even bother with them anymore. In season personal garden or local farmers markets only.
Neither do I. If push comes to shove I'll broil a few off season to reduce them down to somewhat of a shadow of what they're supposed to be.

...there in the Goodwill store today was a Staub shallow braiser/sauteuse. 28 cm. Wine color. In the box. Stickers still on.

Wms Sonoma asks an arm and a leg for these.

Twenty bucks. In the box with the booklet and the ribbons.

I figure it was a wedding gift. And the bride did not want to lift an 11 pound pan.

A couple of weeks ago I was Face Timing my brother back in UK, who was cooking Sunday lunch: roast beef. Given it was 10am his time, and his meat was in the oven, I expressed misgivings over the likely doneness of said meat and he said, no worries I have a "Meater+". Long story short, Googled it, ordered one, got it. It's a wireless meat temperature probe in a dinky little wooden charger that sticks to the fridge, cost about $120 with postage to Singapore. Downloaded the app, off to buy something!! Ej%NrMyKT5KWyRzkRRvyyQ.jpgZSyDcyPXTpOw%ajyKZcFhA.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
A Jarkey. It's used to break the vacuum seal on jar lids, making them easy to open.

I used it on a jar on arrival. Tried with moderate grip to remove the lid prior to testing. Nope it was on firm on as expected. Used the Jarkey…...pop, the air lock was released and the lid was the able to be removed with no effort at all.

20190430_173013.jpg

20190430_173026.jpg

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
One of the best things I ever bought for the kitchen.

Yes and such a cheap tool as well. I wish I had found it earlier myself.
I've tried the whack the top of the lid approach many times to release the seal, which does work but once I hit it too hard and the base of the jar broke. Woops.

I'm going to buy a couple for friends now I know about it.

For years now i've been using a square cut from a Lee Valley of router mat to improve grip to open jars, non slip drawer liner works well too.

Then have a couple sizes of rubber strap wrenches if things are really stubborn, handy for other jobs as well, Lee Valley again.

proxy.php

dave

I finally got around to getting some tuning plates for my horizontal smoker. Long story short, I haven't used it much since I bought it. I had a buyer lined up, cleaned it up and changed my mind after I realized I'd never get one this heavy for anywhere close to affordable.

Got a work Buddy to reweld a handle for the smoker box door vent, put some new gasket sealer in and fined tuned the plates.

I got 1/4" steel, 3", 4", 5", 6" and 7" x 12" for $50 cash, delivered from a local welder. Another guy wanted $287+ tax for them. Widest one is up against the firebox and slimmest one by the smoke stack.

Seemed to work for my 3-4hr test run using Oak logs. Next run will he with ribs.

IMG_20190512_113218.jpg
IMG_20190512_113229.jpg
IMG_20190512_113236.jpg
IMG_20190512_113333.jpg

IMG_20190510_174307.jpg

Last edited:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
I finally got around to getting some tuning plates for my horizontal smoker. Long story short, I haven't used it much since I bought it. I had a buyer lined up, cleaned it up and changed my mind after I realized I'd never get one this heavy for anywhere close to affordable.

Got a work Buddy to reweld a handle for the smoker box door vent, put some new gasket sealer in and fined tuned the plates.

I got 1/4" steel, 3", 4", 5", 6" and 7" x 12" for $50 cash, delivered from a local welder. Another guy wanted $287+ tax for them. Widest one is up against the firebox and slimmest one by the smoke stack.

Seemed to work for my 3-4hr test run using Oak logs. Next run will he with ribs.

View attachment 980142 View attachment 980143 View attachment 980144 View attachment 980145
View attachment 980171
Those look great Bruce. That's exactly what I need. I use ceramic tiles and they work fine but I'd like that upgrade to steel.

Those look great Bruce. That's exactly what I need. I use ceramic tiles and they work fine but I'd like that upgrade to steel.
I had glazed tiles but when I found out they were likely not safe for food use, I ditched them. I couldn't find unglazed or quarry tiles for the life of me.

I took a chance on ordering sizes and it seems to have worked on my initial run. I debated on getting a solid piece and drilling it, but figured this was more versatile and easier to adjust.

Last edited:
Don't even know what Keto is and I'm not sure I want to. I have a feeling I wouldn't like it.

Cookbook looks like a good one though. Nice pickup and nice giveaway from Aaron.

I got some new probes in for my Thermoworks Smoke and some free mini spatulas. Long probe, short probe, straight probe and new high heat temp.

IMG_20190527_172907.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom