What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Looking good! What size is it?
dave

Cheers Dave. It's the 26cm version - there is a 30cm version too but I thought the smaller one would be OK. If not I can get the bigger one as well(!) As they say, if one is good, two must be better! I have noticed a lot of TV chefs using them as they are good to serve from at the table and we like to show off, us wannabees.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
I know it is just a condiment, but it has been 27 years since I’ve had it. It put a huge smile on my face.

04E2DC6C-4052-4385-9602-892F293B2FB5.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
That's a risky business, i hope it works out for you Owen!
dave
I remember the 80s, going downtown to Cleveland and watching Indian games at old Muni stadium, which seated about 90k people. On a good day, they drew 5k. But the hot dogs were marvelous. Sometimes I went with an older lady (around 60 at the time) from my grandfather’s church- she taught me how to mark a game. I had to taste the mustard- just like I remember.

Not sure if this counts or not but splurged and picked up a couple books... The Food Lab by Lopez-Alt, J Kenji. And the Noma Guide to Fermentation by Redzepi, Rene.

I was in a corner of Barnes and Noble reading them while my wife was browsing when she found me. She admitted to wanting those books for some time so I decided to splurge. My goal is to up my game from functional cooking - nobody dies but I don't fully understand the hows and whys of making good ingredients turn out great. If I can learn and consistently take my cooking up a notch (or three) the books will be totally worth it.

Hopefully the money I blew on the books/education is better spent than some super fancy must have cooking do-dad.

Once I learn to make the food taste good I need to learn from Dave and others on the in/out of plating and taking freaking awesome photos.

Ruckin.

We rented a car for a couple days and hit all the outliers, wood, seeds/gardening, book stores ...

Fun times ahead, Lee Valley for the torch and grinder/mill. Ever since our Cole & Mason pepper mill broke in two we've been using the pre-loaded grocery store mills refilling them until they fail. Lee Valley recently added a Grindcrush ceramic mill for pepper/spices/salt to their catalogue and for $20 figured there was nothing to lose. Easy easy grinding of pepper with a very consistently sized result. Time will tell.

file-32.jpeg

dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Nice finds there Dave. Just bought a torch and love it. We use it for starting charcoal in my chimney. A good pepper mill is a must and seem to have found two; the Unicorn magnum and an all brass Turkish mill. We use the Turkish mill for white pepper.

Found this thing in the supermarket last week. I love the lid. It fits tight. We've made crab dip and guacamole and both did fine sitting in the frig. 8" Diameter so it's pretty big.

20190314_095900.jpg
20190314_095913.jpg

Hi Aaron, have had my eye out for a Unicorn since coming aware of them from a thread here a few years ago and the expensive to me, Cole & Mason fell apart. Won't ship to Canada and all i find up here are sellers through Amazon.ca with greatly inflated prices and being snake bitten by the Cole i was reluctant to spend 'way too big' on any of Unicorns. Lee Valley's Grindcrush showed up on the website last week and at only $20cdn i'll bite, i can always relegate it to strictly spice/salt duty, park the mortar and pestle if it's not working for pepper. At moment i have my hopes ups.

Torch yeah, i can leave the plumber's propane job in the basement, i'm officially cooking now.

www.crushgrind.com
dave

That's what I have and it's perfect. Be especially careful with the glass weights, they can crack when hit.

Looks good BT. Like Aaron said be well aware of the glass weights. I bought a single lid, my first batch of sauerkraut was finished after the multiple weeks of fermenting, was a struggle getting the weight out and when i did there were two small chips out of the weight... tasted a piece of cabbage and it was divine, maybe more so knowing what i'd be doing next with the rest of the jar, dumped it on the compost. Haven't done another jar.

I'm thinking the safest way to remove the weight would be to dump the contents of the jar allow the weight to gently find it's own way free. Sure others would have a better solution.
dave

Thanks for the tip @DoctorShavegood & @davent. Shame about your sauerkraut batch Dave. Gonna give it another go?

I'd like to try again because what i tasted was impressive but i'm feeling snake bit, i couldn't say for certain whether the weights were chipped when i started or the result of my ineptitude later on. I have the regular sized jar openings and there's just no room for a finger or two to manipulate things.

dave

Top Bottom