What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Immersion blender, my first...

Screen Shot 2019-01-19 at 11.46.35 AM.png

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Yep. I was frustrated with small amounts of dressings/sauces not working in even my smallest blender container. This should fix that issue. Also, no more need for transferring soups to a blender, smooth them right in the pot (I think) :001_smile

Last edited:
Just had a Te Chef 11 inch pan delivered. I got a Grill pan from them a couple years ago for Korean BBQ. It cleaned up so easily and has held up so well I got a large fry pan from the blooming flower series. Now the 11 inch. I’m looking at the wok to buy next. So far I’m really impressed with these pans.

TECHEF

The kids love the grill pan. We use a gas one single burner stove on the patio table in the summer months.

TECHEF

For a wok all you need is a cheap carbon steel then you can use it on a screaming 60,000 btu propane burner out on the back patio. A wok equals extreme heat for cooking.
dave

Le Creuset & Staub grill pans & ScanPan skillets made a huge improvement in our cooking success.

This from a die hard Griswold & Wagner cast-iron fan. I still use them just not as much.

Only missing a carbon-steel wok and then we are pretty much all set for what we like to cook.

Inspired by the French guy cooking video & in turn Pepin i thought i'd try my hand at doing a French style omelette. I can't stand the texture of scrambled eggs, omelettes, frittatas, quiches and the like so even though i made omelettes as a kid, i haven't made them since then and never in the French style so with that in mind and cooking for a few people that don't share my eggview i wanted to see what i could do.

Gave it a go yesterday and produced a highly edible, highly disfigured version as a result of trying to cook a two egg omelette in my only non-stick pan, 11"/28cm, optimum size for a 5-6 egg omelette, my zero knowledge on the process. Wasn't enough egg to coat the bottom of the pan. Went out today and bought an 8" pan which should help, along with much practice, in the quest for a Pepinesque two egger. My wife and daughter hare happy to offer to advice.

file_B&Bsize600.jpg

dave

Friday night went searching the aisles of the local world grocery emporium, killed at least an hour and even found a few things on my list...

Found three sizes of ramen noodles, didn't get the thin very wide ones, dried anchovies in the freezer. Heard a women asking about kimchi, followed her to where the store had bags of Korean pepper. She was probably from the Caribbean, said the pepper had a real nice flavour without being crazy hot. Had looked for it before without any luck, now i know.

file2-12.jpeg
file3-11.jpeg

dave

Been thinking about one of these for a while, finally got it. I ordered it from Amazon UK and even with the postage still waaaay cheaper than buying it here.VDsX6pgHRYifr0l5hoKvSA.jpgLzIvPEPESvCEKR3ZwfqHAQ.jpg

I can't stand the texture of scrambled eggs, omelettes, frittatas, quiches and the like so even though i made omelettes as a kid, i haven't made them since then and never in the French style so with that in mind and cooking for a few people that don't share my eggview i wanted to see what i could do.

Dave, have you tried doing the slow scrambled method? Almost ends up as a custard.

Dave, have you tried doing the slow scrambled method? Almost ends up as a custard.

I haven't tried cooking them that way that i'm aware of but the texture issues extends well beyond eggs. Mashed vegetables or just overcooked especially in water, creamy hot cereals such as oatmeal, formed ground meat products, sausage, meatloaf, meat balls, hamburgers are okay because by the time i'm done dressing one the patty's reduced to not much more than an afterthought. Basically a great deal of food i grew up having to eat, all happen to be foods that are served hot.

My wife and i make nothing that we could trace back to either of our familial backgrounds, no old family recipes, traditions, two stubborn black sheep pushing through the unknown wilds.

Egg custards, love crème caramel & crème brulee, maybe because they get served cold, the desserts i get called on to make most often. Have been playing and improving my omelette technique, my wife and daughter are enjoying the efforts i try a bite and cringe, tastes okay and i'm continuing the quest, checking in with Pepin and Alex 'the French guy cooking' who managed to get an omelette endorsement from Pépin.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''
dave

I haven't tried cooking them that way that i'm aware of but the texture issues extends well beyond eggs. Mashed vegetables or just overcooked especially in water, creamy hot cereals such as oatmeal, formed ground meat products, sausage, meatloaf, meat balls, hamburgers are okay because by the time i'm done dressing one the patty's reduced to not much more than an afterthought. Basically a great deal of food i grew up having to eat, all happen to be foods that are served hot.

My wife and i make nothing that we could trace back to either of our familial backgrounds, no old family recipes, traditions, two stubborn black sheep pushing through the unknown wilds.

Egg custards, love crème caramel & crème brulee, maybe because they get served cold, the desserts i get called on to make most often. Have been playing and improving my omelette technique, my wife and daughter are enjoying the efforts i try a bite and cringe, tastes okay and i'm continuing the quest, checking in with Pepin and Alex 'the French guy cooking' who managed to get an omelette endorsement from Pépin.

'''''''''''''''''''''''''
dave

I very much enjoyed that episode when it came out. I've had good success with Jacque's method.

Just bought a set of wire shelves to hang on the back of the pantry door, and a box full of large spice bottles to hold by BBQ rubs and seasonings.

Top Bottom