What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

BDF375A8-D91A-4AFB-AC54-B7A7EBFD1A87.jpeg
I was going to make this a silly guessing game and ask everyone to guess what these are. But I’ll spare everyone the little game and just come out with it. I got these antique escargot pots from France today. A nice option if I’m not in the mood to play around with shells.

I know it isn't needed in today's day and age of digital, but I always wanted a TelTru on at least one of my BBQ or Smokers....so I'm installing 2 on my horizontal. At least I won't have to worry about batteries with these.

I ended up with one 2.5" stem Silver face and one 4" stem Black face. Both are 3" dials and glorious to look at.

Here is the one by the smoker box installed. It's taking some work to drill through the steel. I'll give my drill some time to rest before I tackle the smoke stack side

IMG_20190602_133459.jpg

Having on dial is reflection. Super sunny out today.

Nice Bruce. How long are the probs on those?
My original one that I bought years ago is 2.5".

This black one is 4".

I've read long is better and short is better. So figured one of each should be a good compromise. The probe sits about 2" above grill height for this one. Hopefully it won't interfer with a big hunk of meat.

I installed the longer by the fire box as most times I will he placing meat in middle of grate or at cooler end, so that's where the shorter one will go.

Last edited:
Just bought a 36" Blackstone griddle for $199 on sale at Walmart. Couldn't pass up that price, normal price is $250. I've been wanting a griddle ever since I used the griddle top on the firebox of my Lone Star Grillz smoker, but I figured I would wait for the end-of-season sales. But the end-of-season price came early! :)
Alternatively, if they're in stock near you, Dick's Sporting Goods has the stainless steel model on sale for $250 (just make sure it's the newer one with the rear grease drain).

Just bought a 36" Blackstone griddle for $199 on sale at Walmart. Couldn't pass up that price, normal price is $250. I've been wanting a griddle ever since I used the griddle top on the firebox of my Lone Star Grillz smoker, but I figured I would wait for the end-of-season sales. But the end-of-season price came early! :)
Alternatively, if they're in stock near you, Dick's Sporting Goods has the stainless steel model on sale for $250 (just make sure it's the newer one with the rear grease drain).

Sweet. I'd love a giant dedicated griddle.

I use one on my BBQ all the time and wanted to upgrade that one, but my grill isn't big enough.

I had been looking for an excuse to get one for about a year and early this spring Menards had the stainless version with the rear grease trap on sale for $199, I couldn’t pass it up. It was an easy sell with my wife as soon as explained to her that the mess and odors would now be outside instead of in the house, she said that alone was worth $200. I love it, have been using it a ton, and I highly recommend the stainless cover that I found on Etsy.
CA13A5B2-D066-4DD6-9623-B8137D32A8D3.jpeg
FF14D31C-7F46-4ED8-82DD-0A1A05C86B22.jpeg

grats on the 36" griddle. I have the 22 table top version that gets quite a bit of use. The only thing I don't like about mine is the grease tray. It is possible to find aluminum liners for the model you have. I can't seem to find a rear drain version at a retail store near me (they only have the front drain version in stock) If you would be willing to take a picture of the grease tray/holder and the rear frame under the griddle (bonus points to have a ruler in the picture to get sizing) I would be grateful.

I think that I could use the same tray that comes with the 36 on my 22 but the customer service folks say "no" but can't give me a reason why other than the 22 hangs on the griddle and the 36 attaches to the base... If it looks like it will work I will get a "spare" tray for the 36 and be able to use the disposable trays when I do 4-5 lbs of bacon in a session.

If that doesn't work I will gift the 22 to a needy friend and fab my own 36" griddle and will size the grease tray to use a normal steam table sizes so I can easily get inserts or dishes of various depths.

Ruckin.

grats on the 36" griddle. I have the 22 table top version that gets quite a bit of use. The only thing I don't like about mine is the grease tray. It is possible to find aluminum liners for the model you have. I can't seem to find a rear drain version at a retail store near me (they only have the front drain version in stock) If you would be willing to take a picture of the grease tray/holder and the rear frame under the griddle (bonus points to have a ruler in the picture to get sizing) I would be grateful.

I think that I could use the same tray that comes with the 36 on my 22 but the customer service folks say "no" but can't give me a reason why other than the 22 hangs on the griddle and the 36 attaches to the base... If it looks like it will work I will get a "spare" tray for the 36 and be able to use the disposable trays when I do 4-5 lbs of bacon in a session.

If that doesn't work I will gift the 22 to a needy friend and fab my own 36" griddle and will size the grease tray to use a normal steam table sizes so I can easily get inserts or dishes of various depths.

Ruckin.

Check your PM’s

Second TelTru finally installed on my horizontal. Worked fine yesterday for smoked chicken wings and working today for BB Ribs.

New BBQ/Welding gloves to move around logs and adjust door etc too.

The tuning plates are working exceptionally well. Little to no difference any more from end to end.

IMG_20190623_150637.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom