What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

A 10” Vollrath 3 ply stainless skillet.

View attachment 908960

Have you used this yet? I recently was introduced to Vollrath equipment due to a fundraiser event I helped coordinate and am impressed. I have the T-Fal version of this in both a 10.5" and 6" sized pans.

As mentioned, if you use oil or spray, start from a cold pan and let it warm up in there. Doesn't take long for them to heat up either. Cleanup for me is to put water in the pan and let it sit on the stove while I eat. Then, use a plastic scraper to get the food out. Then, SOS or Brillo pad to clean. Haven't tried the Barkeep's Friend yet.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Have you used this yet? I recently was introduced to Vollrath equipment due to a fundraiser event I helped coordinate and am impressed. I have the T-Fal version of this in both a 10.5" and 6" sized pans.

As mentioned, if you use oil or spray, start from a cold pan and let it warm up in there. Doesn't take long for them to heat up either. Cleanup for me is to put water in the pan and let it sit on the stove while I eat. Then, use a plastic scraper to get the food out. Then, SOS or Brillo pad to clean. Haven't tried the Barkeep's Friend yet.
The wife did. She likes it. We also have a 12 inch Vollrath with Teflon coating. They make solid pans.

The wife did. She likes it. We also have a 12 inch Vollrath with Teflon coating. They make solid pans.
Good deal. I purchased some of their 3.75qt sauce pans for our fundraiser and was impressed with the commercial quality. Not too bad on pricing either for them. Though, not a fan of non-stick as it tends to flake off before the pan dies and it becomes a health issue.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Good deal. I purchased some of their 3.75qt sauce pans for our fundraiser and was impressed with the commercial quality. Not too bad on pricing either for them. Though, not a fan of non-stick as it tends to flake off before the pan dies and it becomes a health issue.
I had to use the Teflon pan to lure her into the idea of paying decent money for a good pan. :)

Maybe this will qualify as an acquisition. Technically, it's really just a purchase at the moment, since it still has to be shipped to me. Just bought a Pit Barrel Cooker.

I love my Big Green Egg. It works great as a grill. It works great as a smoker. But it has no real capacity as a smoker. One brisket. One pork butt. One chicken. One slab of spare ribs. A couple slabs of baby back ribs. Any one of those options will fit in it, but only one of them at a time. I want to be able to do more than one of those at a time.

So, just bought the PBC, and I'll do that whole "ask forgiveness instead of permission" thing when it shows up on the doorstep and I have to explain to the wife what's in the giant box and why I just invited the whole family over for dinner next weekend. :chef:

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Maybe this will qualify as an acquisition. Technically, it's really just a purchase at the moment, since it still has to be shipped to me. Just bought a Pit Barrel Cooker.

I love my Big Green Egg. It works great as a grill. It works great as a smoker. But it has no real capacity as a smoker. One brisket. One pork butt. One chicken. One slab of spare ribs. A couple slabs of baby back ribs. Any one of those options will fit in it, but only one of them at a time. I want to be able to do more than one of those at a time.

So, just bought the PBC, and I'll do that whole "ask forgiveness instead of permission" thing when it shows up on the doorstep and I have to explain to the wife what's in the giant box and why I just invited the whole family over for dinner next weekend. :chef:
PBC? We'll need pictures.

Came across a new cookbook yesterday while killing time/cooling off in an air-conditioned bookstore. Steak Revolution - All Cuts, All Ways -- Perfect Every Time, by Rob Firing. A copy came home with me, good number of new-to-me cuts and lots of recipes to explore.

Steak Revolution

dave

shavefan

I’m not a fan

And it has the cojones to call itself a smoker. Shameful :001_smile

It's here!

full

No, I won't actually cook with it in the living room. This is just where I assembled it and waited for the wife to come home and be surprised. Since I'm obviously posting this, I'm obviously still alive so she did not kill me over me getting a second grill.

Anyway, I'll do a test run of something on Saturday, and do a full on cook for the whole family on Sunday with ribs and pork loin.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Finally picked up a food mill. It came with a fine, medium, and coarse disk. I think the medium and coarse will be unused.

BD86F42D-B448-473D-9CBF-5EF7583EC515.jpeg

Top Bottom