What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Not sure if this counts or not... but SWMBO was visiting a friend talking about dog showing and somehow the conversation turned to cast iron and SWMBO told the friend about my like of CI and carbon steel. The led to some rummaging around in the kitchen and I was given a pan that "too small" (a 9" wagner 1891) and one that was "too big" (12" paula deen chicken fryer).

The lady mentioned that she would send her favorite pans my way once she stopped using them. She is in her 70's and lives alone and just want as much stuff when she was cooking for a house full. I know that to a collector these are nothing special but I plan on just using them when what I am making calls for a pan that is too small or big. Besides it is bad karma to look a gift horse in the mouth.

So far the wagner seems to work fine for egg scramble. I like my other 9" pan better but this one works just fine and the price appeals to my recent frugal streak.

Ruckin

I'm slowly downsizing some of my kitchen stuff, and in the process upgrading. Replaced all my Farberware knives (Chef, Sontuku, steak and paring) with Cutco (Petite chef, 4 7/8" trimmer, 4" paring and steak knives). The handling difference between the knives is significant to me. The Cutco feel much more balanced and neutral in my hand.

I know some don't like the serrated blades. But, unless you're over eating dinner, you won't be using them. ;)

I also have a stainless steel table knife from Cutco that I bought individually. Wasn't sure if I'd like them, and I don't as a table setting due to design and doesn't match my flatware. But, for a knife for the lunch box, I think it's good. Perhaps a bit overkill.

I'm slowly downsizing some of my kitchen stuff, and in the process upgrading. Replaced all my Farberware knives (Chef, Sontuku, steak and paring) with Cutco (Petite chef, 4 7/8" trimmer, 4" paring and steak knives). The handling difference between the knives is significant to me. The Cutco feel much more balanced and neutral in my hand.

I know some don't like the serrated blades. But, unless you're over eating dinner, you won't be using them. ;)

I also have a stainless steel table knife from Cutco that I bought individually. Wasn't sure if I'd like them, and I don't as a table setting due to design and doesn't match my flatware. But, for a knife for the lunch box, I think it's good. Perhaps a bit overkill.
Some relatives bought a Cutco set around 30 years ago (helping out the neighbour kid) and everyone was warned to be extra careful with them. Soooo many people thought they were being funny until the blood appeared. I recently visited them and they still use them daily and they have resharpened only the spreader. The rest are still in good shape (not as sharp as new but much sharper than many other knives that were never honed/sharpened for 30 years would be).

On the weekend found a store with three different versions of '00' flour from Italy, came home with one to try out. My local source of Canadian organic '00' has gone dry at least for the time being.

Still searching for a local supplier of Bomba rice after my source for that one dried up, that supplier's now the '00' flour source. One step forward one step back.
dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Drive a hour one way for a burger? Sure. Needed to get some more pickles, too. They really add to a good burger.

3E99FA98-7217-45C4-AD43-63796400E976.jpeg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A 5 quart glass mixing bowl for the KitchenAid mixer, a butter bell (finally convinced the wife that Americans are about the only people who refrigerate butter, garlic chopped, and oil dispenser (the wife has a thing for roosters).

85E27796-5A4E-46F1-BADD-6D87E34595E3.jpeg
98E0F184-DA2C-4F55-BED9-37244C4D1890.jpeg
B799E0F5-ED0D-4C50-9E52-9D9917AAFF16.jpeg
76093666-968D-48DE-B161-12832B6C1745.jpeg

TexLaw

Fussy Evil Genius
Drive a hour one way for a burger? Sure. Needed to get some more pickles, too. They really add to a good burger.

I've driven 90 miles just for a couple kolache. You don't find pan sausage & cabbage or pan sausage & sauerkraut just anywhere. I'll do it again, too, and probably sooner than later.

Just ordered a ProNeedle from Thermoworks. They have their flagship Mk4 Thermopen on sale right now, but that's still a bit too rich for my blood.

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Just ordered a ProNeedle from Thermoworks. They have their flagship Mk4 Thermopen on sale right now, but that's still a bit too rich for my blood.
Sign up for their newsletter. Every once and a while they have what they call an open box sale. I have no idea what that means, as the one I got looked perfect, but I saved over $20. It is a very fast probe, and I would have gladly paid the other $20 for it. If you grill/BBQ/cook often, it is a fantastic tool to have.

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Recommended to me by a friend...

Screen Shot 2018-10-15 at 3.52.14 PM.png

Her "Ballycotton Fish Chowder" recipe is on my shortlist!

Last edited:
Retirement - was bound to happen, after 35 years, used at least three times per week for a good chunk of those, our wok has two cracks that leak liquids.

Quick dash to the restaurant supply store so i could cook my fix tonight, new carbon steel, 14" wok, $17cdn, about the same price as the retiree, see if i can't get another 35 years out of it.
file-1.jpeg
file1-1.jpeg

Seasoned and one meal down on maximum heat...

file-2.jpeg

dave

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
A piece of wood. No, a 17 inch knife magnet enclosed in bamboo. Since buying the Henckles, the wife is talking about buying more knives. A monster has been created.

knife.jpg

Top Bottom