What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

Don't hate, but why carbon and not stainless?
From a quick internet search: "The most common complaint about stainless steel is that it is thinner, doesn't heat as evenly as carbon steel and develops hot spots. It also requires more oil than the traditional wok and because of its inherent cooking shortcomings. If someone invests in a stainless steel wok, it should be top of the line." Also: "stainless steel woks aren’t very good. For one, they’re super heavy, making them tedious to use. Worse, they don’t distribute heat very well. Even when equipped with an aluminum or copper core, a stainless steel wok won’t respond to quick temperature changes very well. Given than stir-frying often involves quick temperature changes, this makes it a poor choice for your wok. Finally, stainless steel is harder to season than either cast iron or carbon steel, so you’ll have to put in more work to clean your wok."

I wonder why more pans aren't made of high carbon stainless. From what I hear, it's basically surgical grade steel. I don't have a pan like this. I can only guess based on the cheap knives I bought when I first left the nest. It was a Macy's branded set made in China. The knives sharpen and touch up almost as easily as carbon steel, hold an edge maybe even longer than carbon steel, and they just don't rust. That's a win for me in the knife department. Then again, I'm not sure that would be a win in a pan. My guess is that such a pan would still stick but less than stainless and overall be somewhere in between. Now if someone were to design a silver coated copper pan, I'd probably try it, though that would make a very heavy wok. And a very light wallet. (SoyTurkiye, Rinomata Rameria Mazzetti, Duparquet, ... more than I realized)

Last edited:

cleanshaved

I’m stumped
Peugeot paris u'select 27cm / 10.75 inches pepper mill.
I've been wanting to get a new pepper mill for a few years and finally pulled the trigger.

20181106_162219.jpg

s-l1000.jpg

and the compulsory pepper grinding test.

20181106_162420.jpg

oc_in_fw

Fridays are Fishtastic!
Fresh ground pepper is a must.

Never owned one of their cars and don't plan to either but this seems well made. It's even correctly made as right hand drive. :)
One day I will have to see if they make grinders for lefties. My wife is left handed, and would prefer a counterclockwise grinder.

So my vacuum sealer that I got back 3 years ago is on the blink: it fails to shut properly so it won't seal or vacuum so it fails its basic functionality... They are stupidly expensive here so last month we were in London and I got this, hand carried back on the plane.
IMG_3062.JPG

Top Bottom