What's new

Mess Hall Acquisitions

shavefan

I’m not a fan
Picked up the Wusthof Le Cordon Bleu Santoku Knife during the Cutlery & More 4th of July sale, and it's on clearance to boot. I really like it, deadly sharp out of the box and a relatively thin tip that makes tasks like onion brunoise a breeze...

Screen Shot 2018-07-09 at 11.28.28 AM.png

IMO, a knife like this makes sense as a good back up for your main Chefs knife (If you dont already have umpteen knives...)

Last edited:
Not sure if this counts but I accidentally acquired a pan. My dad had a heart attack/surgeries in May/June. He managed to escape from the hospital but needed to be "in town" for all his follow on appointments. He is stayed with some people he knew for a few weeks and I was picking him up and his "stuff" to take him back to his house.

While moving boxes from the garage to the car I see a little cast iron skillet and make an offhanded comment about it leaning up against the wall as a door stop? Long story short is I am now the owner of a very grungy 8-9" skillet. The current owner didn't want it with their electric stove and told me if I wanted it I could have it. Now I need to figure out how to get the carbonized grunge off the bottom/sides of the pan and then season it. I have no idea if this is a good one or a bad one... but I did learn that it was owned by a mutual family friend prior to him passing away.

So I am sure it isn't some uber collectable awesome pan... it is good enough for me and once I clean it up and season it I will use it and pass it on to my son someday.

Ruckin

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
Take some pictures of the skillet and start a thread in the Mess Hall on how to clean it. We love pictures and the cleaning advice that you will get will be second to none.

Yup, she arrived home yesterday. Last trip to Greece for the foreseeable future. Fifth 'round trip since October for her, she's been spending a couple month's per year over the last four years working on a archaeological dig there. Got her masters in April and come Monday, back to work at a paying job.
dave

DoctorShavegood

"A Boy Named Sue"
Yup, she arrived home yesterday. Last trip to Greece for the foreseeable future. Fifth 'round trip since October for her, she's been spending a couple month's per year over the last four years working on a archaeological dig there. Got her masters in April and come Monday, back to work at a paying job.
dave
Sounds pretty exciting. See if she'll dig in your garden for you. :302:

Today I installed a Moen "Renzo" pull-out faucet in the kitchen.
proxy.php

Our previous more traditional faucet (15-20 years old) was starting to leak half-way along the spout, making a fine mist spray. I taped it up until we had time to go shopping for a replacement. Installing the new one was a fairly painless process, because of a few sensible design features.

One of the chief benefits of the pull-out style (as opposed to a sprayer attachment on the side, with a diverter) is that all of the water goes through the hose. With the old sprayer, half of the water continues to run through the spout. That was the main selling point for me.
Bonus: it will reach the Keurig coffee maker reservoir without too much stress on the hose.

Oh yeah - local strawberries are showing up in the produce aisle.
Last night I had dessert of: smashed-up tea biscuit, some milk to make it mushy, lots of sliced strawberries, vanilla ice cream, and a large uncut "hero" strawberry on top.

ajkel64

Check Out Chick
Staff member
image.jpeg image.jpeg image.jpeg Bought a decent sized Moka Pot. My other 2 are very small and only make a small amount of coffee. This was bought at a second hand shop in town. It holds enough water to make 3 mugs of coffee of the sized mug that is in the photo. In the photo of my 3 pots, the middle pot only makes enough coffee for about 3/4 of the mug and the small pot makes enough coffee to fill up a shot glass basically. The Moka pot is made in Italy and the only real problem is that the lid doesn't sit flush but that is no drama really. I got tired of having to heat the middle one up twice to make a decent sized mug of coffee when having visitors.

I just acquired a SaladMaster oil core electric skillet!! It's used, was coated (heavily) in burnt on grease and looked well used/abused. But it was waaaaay cheaper than the MSRP of between $500-$1,000 for a new one and cleaned up well after many goings over with various degreasers/scrub pastes. I've seen the waterless cookware demonstrations at the fairs where they show how awesome and healthy these things are and I'd wanted to have one since. So, now I have one! And the oil core does in fact retain heat for a fairly long time after turning off the device.

This is my first tri clad pan. Any hints?
Remove the cardboard/labels before using it to cook?

Seriously I would just heat it up, add some sort of fat and then whatever you want to cook. I haven't tried it yet but many swear barkeepers friend is great for clean up if you get sticking problems.

Ruckin (not really skilled at cooking but I haven't starved to death yet)

Top Bottom