What's new

Merkur Manufacturer Warranty Info

This is the first time I've seen this thread :blink:
I'm a little confused because I see alot of folks recommending the 34HD as a first razor (which I have).

Is this a case of the squeaky wheel making the most the most noise? are these not good razors? I love my HD and my futur, but will I regret it later?

I just got a reply from Anne Rothstein from Dovo/Merkur. She is sending me new top pieces for my new 39C, and a top for my older 38C. The 39C had a blemish I could not buff out, and the 38C was dropped once chipping the head just a tiny bit. No problems with the 38C it is a wonderful product. I still have not used the 39C but I'm not going to wait for the new head to try it, it's only the finish that was marred.

I mentioned to Anne I will let you folks at B&B know that I think they have excellent customer service.

-dema

Hmmm. I don't have a Merkur, but was just wandering how they compared with Mühle,
since the 34c HD is such a big thing here.
Seems like, especially considered the small prize difference, you might as well get a EJ89L or Mühle R89.
Maybe they were great once, but it sounds like the HD should not be recommended to beginners if you can get a '89 for almost the same amount.

Last edited:
I have had two Merkur Visions that came apart and broke and upon my attempts to put them back together I could not; maybe they were broken when which cuased them to come apart. They were both purchased from Amazon. After reading this thread I am going to just pack them up and send them back to Mercur. They broke at the point where the long vertical piece hooks onto the butterfly mechanism. The factory recommendation is to take these razors apart and clean after each shave. They are impossible to figure out how to take apart and definitely how to get back together. Upon their coming apart I noticed that the metal is some cheap pot metal where dthe dthreads are and it breks down. It threads into a teflon or white plastic female thread. There was a lot of gunnk on it even though I soaked these razors in vinegar and put them in an ultrasonic cleaner regurlarly. I am not a metallurgist but I think almost the whole thing is pot metal--it is certainly not stainless and does not even appear to be steel. The adjustable Merkur Progress seems to be mostly stainless. The Merkur Futur seems to be manufactured from the same type pot metal as the Mekur vision. I have had all three but have had no problems with the Expression or Futur. Unless you are a mechanical engineer, avoid the big pricey Vision and get an Expression or Futur if you want an adjustable. If you want a new adjustable gor much less money you can get a new Russian adjustable based on the Gilette slim that shaves almost as close as the Merkur adjustables and seems made from stainless or at least plated steel and overall better materials. Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

I have had two Merkur Visions that came apart and broke and upon my attempts to put them back together I could not; maybe they were broken when which caused them to come apart. They were both purchased from Amazon. After reading this thread I am going to just pack them up and send them back to Merkur. They broke at the point where the long vertical piece hooks onto the butterfly mechanism. The factory recommendation is to take these razors apart and clean after each shave. They are impossible to figure out how to take apart and definitely how to get back together. Upon their coming apart I noticed that the metal is some cheap pot metal where dthe dthreads are and it breks down. It threads into a teflon or white plastic female thread. There was a lot of gunnk on it even though I soaked these razors in vinegar and put them in an ultrasonic cleaner regularly. I am not a metallurgist but I think almost the whole thing is pot metal--it is certainly not stainless and does not even appear to be steel. The adjustable Merkur Progress seems to be mostly stainless. The Merkur Futur seems to be manufactured from the same type pot metal as the Mekur vision. I have had all three but have had no problems with the Expression or Futur. Unless you are a mechanical engineer, avoid the big pricey Vision and get an Expression or Futur if you want an adjustable. If you want a new adjustable gor much less money you can get a new Russian adjustable based on the Gillette slim that shaves almost as close as the Merkur adjustables and seems made from stainless or at least plated steel and overall better materials. Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

23 January 2013 Indianapolis US. I received my two repaired Visions approx. 1 month after sending both back to Merkur. I do not think that they are just replacements, but can not say for sure. One of them has a somewhat loose adjustment gap ring [the one that says VISION] across it. One of the butterfly mechanisms on one of mine had a slight missing part on edge, and neither of these does--they look like new. I would still like to know a non-taking-apart, non destructive way to clean them of soap scum, whickers, and calcium-lime (Indianapolis water-and I am not going to get a water softener for two $140 razors, tho I guess I could use distilled water.) Vinegar soaks, (perhaps citric acid or CLR diluted for very short time?? I don't know about the CLR) but the vinegar for 1/2 hour seemed to get rid of most of the calcium along with 2 hours in ultrasonic professional model jewelry cleaner. But this did not get rid of the shaving soap inside. So what I need is a way to get rid of the shaving soap scum that gets inside. I open up take out blade and rince in hot and cold water at great force after each shave and store razors upside down with head down and handle upto try to minimize soap getting inside--but it was in both.

I have tried to take these apart on two different razors and they both broke at the same place-the point where the long vertical piece hooks onto the butterfly mechanism- and I have found the Merkur instructions and all the on-line instructions including You-tube videos impossible to do myself. I cannot even get out the round part that caps the end of the handle and then get it back on!) My jeweler sayid they use Mr. Clean along with ultrasonic or instead of it to make repaired and used jewelry including watches look like new. Its active ingediaents are variations of ammonium chloride. Any ideas re a non-taking-apart, non destructive way to clean them of soap scum would be most welcome. Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

I'm currently having the following discussion with Merkur/Dovo. I submitted the initial question via their web contact form last night and they responded this morning. (I've omitted any space consuming salutations and closings that are not directly regarding the issue.)

My initial message:
My Merkur Vision 2000 needs repair

I purchased a Merkur Vision 2000 razor about 1 year ago via RoyalShave.com. The height adjustment mechanism has started to malfunction. How can I return the razor for repair/replacement?

Their response:
Thank you very much for your email.

It would seem that either soap residue or lime build-up could be responsible. Please find attached cleaning/decalcifying information. That should take care of the problem.

My reply:
Yes, I follow the care instructions. I clean with warm soapy water weekly when doing a razor blade change. And use the partial vinegar solution for a soak of no more than 10 minutes moving parts frequently every 90 days. Last soak having been this past weekend. But the blade height adjustment has been rather stubborn over time just the same. It is now so bad I cannot change fully between levels unless I hold the head of the razor, which is very unsafe. This is why I've asked you, because I've been cleaning on a regular basis already.

I'm awaiting their next reply.

:mad3:
Hello,

I have had problems with my Merkur Futur – in fact there are also problems with other razors from Merkur.
It is quite apparent to me that with the take over of their company both their warrantee, products and customer service has dropped to all time lows.

1. The lifetime warrantee then became 10 years its now 2 years only
2. The Futur has problems with the adjustable mechanism – after a while it will tilt to the side exposing more blade on one side – the head will also move backwards and forwards – where once it was rock solid.
3. I was told to photograph the problem which I did.
4. No comments made regarding photographs.
5. After pressing regarding warrantee and sending them the link for the 10 year one
6. Just we only give a 2 year warrantee – send the razor to us – we don’t send out replacements without you sending us your razor. If we don’t agree you don’t get a replacement.
7. The chrome on other razors by Merkur is poor – new one recently has chrome missing where the blade goes!!

Merkur are not what they where and are not standing by their products.

I already answered you that we only give 2 years of warrenty.
Please send your razor to us free of charge for inspection.
I will personally look at it and you won't get any replacenment if it is not well temted.

We don't send replacements without inspection.
U. Wiethoff [[email protected]]

--

Best regards

Dipl. Ing. Ulrich Wiethoff
- Prokurist –

DOVO Stahlwaren GmbH & Co. KG
Böcklinstr. 10
D – 42719 Solingen

Tel.: 02 12 / 23 00 1 – 14
Fax: 02 12 / 31 36 12
E-mail: [email protected]
Internet. www.dovo.com

I am very disapointed by this company

What and rough answer IMHO You need to reassure the client, not worry him :-/
For the price we pay for these piece of metal, they should have a lifetime warranty (Like Zippo).

I'm currently having the following discussion with Merkur/Dovo. I submitted the initial question via their web contact form last night and they responded this morning. (I've omitted any space consuming salutations and closings that are not directly regarding the issue.)

My initial message:

I got this reply from them today:
In that case, please send the razor to us so we can see what can be done. Please follow the attached instructions.

I got this reply from them today:

I would suggest doing what I did, just pack the razor up and send it back to Merkur/Dovo. I told them that I had boutght them both within one year. I just sent them back by airmail (if you are concerned about it getting lost send by registered mail! (That is how a sent a Stipula pen back to Italy for lifetime warranty repair. Italy has a postal system worse than most 3rd world countries. I sold a Stipula pen to an Italian who could not find the specific pen in his own country and he wanted me declare its value as $10 and send just by regular mail, not registered and he never got his pen. I had taken the boxed pen (weighed about 2 oz. in a box little larger than the pen) to UPS and asked how much to send to Italy and they advised $92!! So I took it to post office and sent by registered mail-everybody that handles it has to sign for it and Stipula got it.) Budt I sent my two $280 worth of Visions back by regular airmail, my memory was dthat registered would cost $35-45. German mail is fairly reliable.
Another interesting point about the Vision is I visited an "Art of Shaving" retail store in a high end mall here in Indianapolis. The clerk who happened to be a friendly lady was not a razor devotee, but did happen to mention that the Vision is one razor that they recommend keeping with the top blade part down in a vertical position. I have been doing that since. I also have sprayed scrubbing bubbles on both ends, let it set for about 6 minutes with top up, and then soaked in a large glass of water. I retained the water and use it to dip the razor in. As I mentioned earlier I cannot take these things apart and put them back together, nor is there any way that I would do that after every time (does anyone, even those who can figure out how to get these apart and back together do that after every shave-I cannot see spending 20-30 minutes with the razor each time I use it.) after each shave as Merkur/Dovo still recommends. A lady at Merkur sent me an email with their cleaning instructions and I was hoping some kind of easier solution, but is was still take apart after each shave! For a $140 razor one would expect it to be made of stainless or at least steel, but the metal is what seems like pot metal to me-very easily broken! And if memory serves me correctly the inside threding mechanism of the blade gap mechanism and the butterfly tightener is plastic or nylon, not metal! So much for the idea of using 3 in one oil in there, tho I do not know if mineral oil would jurt anything, but it would not get the soap out which I think 3 in one might. I have not seen inside after using scrubbing bubbles so wonder if it is getting deep in there to clean the closing mechanism and blade gap adjuster. Has anyone taken one of these apart after soaking with Scrubbing Bubbles to see if it is getting rid odf the soap deep inside? Also a caveat, I noticed that scrubbing bubbles has different formulations, and used the one for bathrooms which seemed to have the most gentle , non chemical or ammonia or petroleum ingredients. Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

As they recommended, I sent it back to them already. Still waiting to hear or get anything back. Their instructions provided full details for how to get the package through customs more easily.

I was not just sending mine back without having some prior communication. So there is no misunderstanding or unclaimed package. I know I could have sent with no discussion, but that's not how I roll :) .

I've never had a problem taking it apart and reassembling. This video helped me learn how even before I purchased mine.

But I only cleaned it about once a week. No way I'm doing that every shave and I only change blades once every 3 shaves now, shave daily. I was using liquid soap and water weekly, then the vinegar and water solution every 90 days. I may try the scrubbing bubbles when I get it back. Might even try keeping it in the stand upside down too. But beyond that, I'm just going to send it in for repair when it has issues, till they say there's no warranty. And at that point, I'll just buy from someone else and move on from Merkur.

I am a bit surprised by the accounts of the shrinking warranty period. There's no reason to stay true to the Merkur brand any longer.

I've got a Merkur Progress that I used for 2 years with zero issues. It's interesting that the adjustable razor that cost less than half the price of the Vision is more sturdy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, your situation clearly highlights the dramatic decrease in quality (support, warranty or otherwise) that Merkur has embarked on. Apparently, they feel their quality and service business model wasn't profitable enough and, hence, the change in their policies. Unfortunate, as I have been a supportive Merkur customer but now I can no longer give them the recommendation I previously have.

I think Merkur has quit caring what the quality of their products is. There are many posts on here over the past few years where heads have snapped off of handles and chrome plating has failed. One person was a metallurgist and said the razor was made of Zamak (pot metal). Not good for a "quality" brand, even a $15 Weishi is plated aluminum (my brother's seems to be holding up nicely, he uses it daily). I tell people to stay away from newer Merkurs except the Futur or Vision and this thread even has questions regarding the build quality of those (very expensive) razors. If I want pot metal I will use my $3 Yuma razor, not pay $50 plus for a Merkur.

I think Merkur has quit caring what the quality of their products is. There are many posts on here over the past few years where heads have snapped off of handles and chrome plating has failed. One person was a metallurgist and said the razor was made of Zamak (pot metal). Not good for a "quality" brand, even a $15 Weishi is plated aluminum (my brother's seems to be holding up nicely, he uses it daily). I tell people to stay away from newer Merkurs except the Futur or Vision and this thread even has questions regarding the build quality of those (very expensive) razors. If I want pot metal I will use my $3 Yuma razor, not pay $50 plus for a Merkur.
In an earlier post I had said i thought it was pot metal. I find it very interesting that the metallurgist says it is pot metal. I cannot understand why they cannot use good grade stainless for these small objects. To me an analogy would be buying an Italian or German stiletto or automatic knife for > $100 that does not have a stainless steel blade or locks and stainless or brass bolsters. Such a knife would be a low end Asian (even they would be stainless) clone of an Italian stiletto. It would be a joke and go for around $15, and breakdown as easily as the Merkurs. On of my Visions had a chip out of one of the TTO flaps, did not see how it occurred, but yes I dropped it on the floor a couple of times, but floor in bathroom where I shave is carpeted! I will look at videos again,but after both Visions broke upon disassemble or attempted reassemble, I am certainly rather gun-shy in attempting to take apart. If they are serious about taking completely apart after each shave they must be marketing to octogenarians with nimble hands that have all day after shaving to take apart. Personally, I do not see why the razor is not designed so that soaking in vinegar every week or two or real hot clear water or using a commercial ultrasound once a month would not get off fresh deposits of soap scum--but they do not.Since I am gun-shy about taking apart I am using scrubbling bubbles and soaking in a solution of it after spraying it on, but not having opened up I do not know if that is doing the trick. Taking completely apart after each shave would be analagous to doing a valve job after each auto trip.

I do not know what type blades you are using, but a Wilkinson Sword set at 4 1/2 in both Futur and Vision and a Feather in Progress set at 4 lasts at least a weak. Do not use Merkur blades as for a Solingen blade, found the Wilkinson Sword greatly superior. Russian Gillettes Atra and Ruby seem rather good in a Merkur Atra lasts pretty long whereas Rubies seemed inconsistent. There is a Russian long handled Gillette clone that works about as good as a 60s Gillete. It is listed as "IDEAL ADJUSTABLE DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR" by Russian ebay seller unuta 77, store BALALAIKA STORE (nonse listed now. Sorry if this was too long winded.

Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

Last edited:
Thanks for the video Darnell! I had seen this or similar one and once I got to "push on the rail" things went downhill on both my Visions, either when disassembling or trying to reassemble. It was the point where the rail adheres to the vertical piece that goes into body of razor that came apart or broke and would not go back together. Once I heard narrator of video say "push on the rail" mya courage to try to do it got up and went. I looked at exactly what Merkur says and they do indeed say to clean after EVERY SHAVE-NOT BLADE CHANGE:

"Merkur Vision Cleaning & Maintenance

Merkur provide the following information regarding the Merkur Vision 2000 razor:
"In order to prolong the life of your safety razor it is necessary to clean the moving parts of your razor after each shave, for example with a soft nail brush or tooth brush. Only if the soap residue is removed thoroughly, the mechanics of your razor will work satisfyingly in the long run. We suggest completely breaking down your razor for a thorough cleaning with each new blade that you install in the razor.
In contact with hard, calciferous water all parts of the razor need to be decalcified regularly."

This is video I had earlier tried to follow. You will note this is quite different from what Darnell's portrays. This one starts at bottom and does not push on rail that keeps breaking on me. on rail. I could not get bottom clip out. anyhow more use of "scrubbing bubbles"for now. Thomas J McKeon

Demonstarator on video points out problems and has some herself on this one re how to take apart and put back togehor. Thomas J McKeon

There is a Russian long handled Gillette clone that works about as good as a 60s Gillete. It is listed as "IDEAL ADJUSTABLE DOUBLE EDGE SAFETY RAZOR" by Russian ebay seller unuta 77, store BALALAIKA STORE (nonse listed now. Sorry if this was too long winded.

Thomas J McKeon Indianapolis

I don't see it there today.

Aside from that, what other (non-Merkur) adjustables are there with the butterfly opening and some weight to them? That can be purchased brand new?

Still waiting for my Vision to be returned to me. Been using the old Progress since then and it's still running like a champ.

I've been without my Vision for a little over a month now, waiting for Dovo/Merkur to fix/replace and return it. (Takes weeks just for the razor to get to them so they can work on it. Then the return trip. Not like I'm paying big shipping fees to speed a broken razor to them.)

I'm sick of this. One year of use and the thing locked up, then I have to wait over a month due to them being overseas. For repair/replacement that took days of back and forth to get going. (I know, I could have just sent it with no discussion, but I would rather ensure nobody can claim ignorance when mine arrives.)

I hate to reward bad behavior. But I really like nothing less than an adjustable razor with some weight to it. And I'm not a fan of 2nd hand razors. Dovo/Merkur is about the only one out there selling brand new heavy safety razors, the Vision and the Futur. So last night, I begrudgingly ordered a Futur, chrome. Given they last longer and cost less. I figure I can sell the Vision to cover the expense of the Futur. Selling the Vision soon as it comes back, worst case I could sell it as factory refurbished and never used since then. Or possibly sell as brand new if they give me a brand new one as a replacement.

After a little over 6 weeks, I have a shipment at my door from Dovo/Merkur. (I guess this process could have gone faster if I paid more to ship it to them, but I just didn't care to invest more than I've already invested.)

It's a new Vision razor. It's not the one I sent to them. The one I sent to them had a very obvious yet small nick in the handle, that was there when I first got it in my order from Royal Shave. So they basically replaced my razor. I take this to mean "cleaning" was not the problem. And I know I did all in my ability to keep the thing totally clean.

I'm going to sell the Vision for sure. I've got a Futur now that I am getting great shaves from. The Futur is all metal, so no plastic parts inside like the Vision. And given the lower price, even if the Futur did break. I would not mind buying another, to have 2 to ship to Dovo/Merkur as needed :lol: . But I can see why the Futur holds up better than the Vision.

I'm not just saying it to be spiteful, but I do feel the Futur is giving me better shaves. So I'll stick with it.

The Futur requires its own set of effort, if you want to "fully" clean it. This is more dismantling than comes in the instructions with the razor, but this video shows how to totally take apart the Futur.

If you "fully" clean the Futur, it's really no less work than cleaning a Vision. And the Futur needs oil periodically, even Dovo/Merkur recommends it. There's no recommendation of vinegar baths for the Futur though :biggrin1: .

After a little over 6 weeks, I have a shipment at my door from Dovo/Merkur. (I guess this process could have gone faster if I paid more to ship it to them, but I just didn't care to invest more than I've already invested.)

It's a new Vision razor. It's not the one I sent to them. The one I sent to them had a very obvious yet small nick in the handle, that was there when I first got it in my order from Royal Shave. So they basically replaced my razor. I take this to mean "cleaning" was not the problem. And I know I did all in my ability to keep the thing totally clean.

I'm going to sell the Vision for sure. I've got a Futur now that I am getting great shaves from. The Futur is all metal, so no plastic parts inside like the Vision. And given the lower price, even if the Futur did break. I would not mind buying another, to have 2 to ship to Dovo/Merkur as needed :lol: . But I can see why the Futur holds up better than the Vision.

I'm not just saying it to be spiteful, but I do feel the Futur is giving me better shaves. So I'll stick with it.

The Futur requires its own set of effort, if you want to "fully" clean it. This is more dismantling than comes in the instructions with the razor, but this video shows how to totally take apart the Futur.

If you "fully" clean the Futur, it's really no less work than cleaning a Vision. And the Futur needs oil periodically, even Dovo/Merkur recommends it. There's no recommendation of vinegar baths for the Futur though :biggrin1: .

The Futur is certainly more straightforward and than the Visionto disassemble. I watched the video. If you use an oil like 3-in one that is light and has cleaning properties and scrubbing bubbles once in a while I see no reason to disassmble Futur even tho it is more straightforward and intuitive than the vision and not a lot of dainty little pot metal parts around the butterfly and adjustment parts. I had an old black handle US Gilette that would not adjust and was in the no blade (I guess zero position) no matter what I did or showed on the dial. I was going to throw it out and I saw that the butterfly assembly which adjusts with four little metal parts coming out of base pushing up did not function. I thought what the hell and took a ballpeen hammer and hit what I will call the bridge (same part that breakes on Vision just from taking apart and/or putting back togetho) and hit it hardle than hell. Must have been steel because it held up and it adjusts and nine is abouit equal to more than five on a Futur or more than halfway through on a Vision and with a Gilette Rubie orWilkinson Sword, shaves as close now as a Futur (none of my Gilettes would before--but the quality whstood one hell of a blow with that big hammer.

I think the Fudtur shaves as good as the Vision (mine is set at 4.5). Have been using for 3 or so years and just clen with scrubbing bubbbles after I had read posts on that and put in commercial ustrasound cleaner every 2-3 mnths. Will put some 3-in-1 oil in it as soon as I am finished dtyping as I did not know that oil was recommended. Much simpler razor than the Vision. In Philosophyu that is Occam's Razor (seriously-did not realize the pun until after I typed this) or the Law of Pasimony -- the simplest explanation is usually the correct one even for things that are not provable or unprovable. In this case that sertainly applies to these razors! Thomas J McKeon, Indianapolis

Top Bottom